3.12 Software update (Problem)

I think Dji has programmed the lock-out feature for people who won't wait 'til the IMU is warmed up and the Phantom is safe to fly. Just a guess.

The amount of current used during IMU warm up and GPS satellite acquisition is minimal. Again just a guess, but I'd say less than 5 seconds of flight time.

bulleteater said:
Does anyone of you also have a yellow light for about 3 minutes before they phantom can take off? Since I updated it, it takes 3 minutes before I can start to fly. Not really an improvement I think. :evil:

I have that same issue as well. Sometimes when I'm feeling impatient I would unplug the battery after 15seconds then plug it back in and then the led sequence for GPS lock would hit within 30 seconds.

bulleteater said:
Does anyone of you also have a yellow light for about 3 minutes before they phantom can take off? Since I updated it, it takes 3 minutes before I can start to fly. Not really an improvement I think. :evil:

Maybe the update implemented some more stringent criteria for what are now considered as acceptable internal startup conditions before the Phantom is ready to go. Then, it might take longer for the Phantom to warm up to these new standards. Just guessing...

The warm up time depends on the ambient temperature, so the 3 minutes mark is not that way off.
The following flights will take a lot less time though.

Again for those who love to just fly, the auto take off is not that annoying as you may think because once you take off, the throttle control will act "almost" as normal as before, which is lower than 50% the Phantom will descend and over 50% it will climb.

tanasit said:
The warm up time depends on the ambient temperature, so the 3 minutes mark is not that way off.
The following flights will take a lot less time though.

The NAZA documentation for firmware v3.12 recommends IMU re-calibration if warmup takes longer than 2 minutes.

Again for those who love to just fly, the auto take off is not that annoying as you may think because once you take off, the throttle control will act "almost" as normal as before, which is lower than 50% the Phantom will descend and over 50% it will climb.

I don't understand the references to "auto takeoff", unless it has to do with starting the motors then turning off the transmitter, as described in the Quick Start Guide, pg 14. My Phantom has v3.12 firmware installed, and it does not "auto take off" in normal use. When I start the motors mine will just sit there and idle until I throttle up. "Auto-takeoff" would make me very nervous.

When I start the motors mine will just sit there and idle until I throttle up - it does not take off spontaneously. "Auto-takeoff" would make me very nervous.

Once you armed the motors, move the throttle stick to center and just wait. ;)
I was nervous at first too but after a few take off, it's a breeze. :D

tanasit said:
Once you armed the motors, move the throttle stick to center and just wait. ;)

My transmitter came with the throttle stick spring-loaded to self-center. Anytime I move it and release it, it re-centers. When I start the motors, and release the throttle stick, it centers (again) on its own, and nothing else happens - my Phantom stays on the ground, motors idling - doesn't matter how long I wait. When I'm ready to take off, I move the stick up from the center position, and get the Phantom in a hover. When I release the stick, it returns to center, and the Phantom does not move from its hover position until I move either stick again.

Once DJI updates their tutorial videos to show the re-designed transmitter with the throttle centered, most of these questions will disappear, I think. With existing videos instructing new Phantom owners to "slowly move the throttle stick up from the bottom position to take off", and the customer tries to place his throttle stick at the bottom position and it doesn't stay there, but springs back to center, confusion is bound to occur.

I was afraid to even try my first take off, because I could not make my throttle stick stay at the bottom position. I thought maybe I was supposed to hold it there against the spring pressure, but that made no sense, because the tutorial videos make no mention of doing that. I finally discovered that throttle "zero" for my transmitter is in the center, not at the bottom.

Until such time as the videos/documentation catch up with production, maybe a note or something similar in the box with new Phantoms explaining changes like this would be a nice touch.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4