3.12 Software update (Problem)

Reaction score
I updated my Phantom to the new 3.12 and I have one problem. The throttle stick doesn't have any response between about 10% and 60%, does anyone know why? or how to fix that?
Thanks
Dave

That's the new software,go up to 50% then starts to increse power. really sucks. Supposed to make takeoff easier ? Only solution is to go back to 2.00 / 3.00 and download all over again if you don't like it. I really don't advise doing anymore updates from dji until they come up with something worthwhile. a lot of people like that 50% throttle "assisted takeoff" I don't ,but to each his own. The last two updates, in my opinion have amounted to worthless crap.

rapyd said:
I updated my Phantom to the new 3.12 and I have one problem. The throttle stick doesn't have any response between about 10% and 60%, does anyone know why? or how to fix that?
Thanks
Dave
It looks like DJI now has a spring loaded throttle to go with this new firmware. Here is how it works: above 50%, Phantom will climb. Less than 50%, it will come down. That is why you are not getting a takeoff until you get above 50%.

When you are at 50%, it will hover and you will get a single flashing light (instead of a double flash) to signify all sticks are centered. That is where a spring loaded throttle would be nice. When you just let go, it will hover.

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of the new throttle position in the 3.12 software. I would like to go back but don't know where to find it. On the Phantom, it's no big deal, but on my stretched 550 it scares the crap out of me. I fly conventional RC helicopters so I love the gradual spoolup.

Anybody know where to get the old software from?

rapyd said:
Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of the new throttle position in the 3.12 software. I would like to go back but don't know where to find it. On the Phantom, it's no big deal, but on my stretched 550 it scares the crap out of me. I fly conventional RC helicopters so I love the gradual spoolup.

honesty, it's just something you might have to get used to.
-especially since they added additional stuff into it to reduce the chances of a flyaway.

rapyd said:

I know what you mean, 60 years of flying and have that throttle thrown at you. Bring up the page that you downloaded software from, at the bottom there is an " online help" click on it. Brings up another page, onleft side curse down to "ready to fly phantom," curse down below all their crap till you find release history. Click on the one for 2.00 assistant, will download 2.00 software then do the same as you did for the upgrade. Don't believe by going back, that you are losing any great improvements. You're not, if you fly like me, the 2.00 is better. They are trying to appease people that don't know how to fly. Any problems I'll be back. P.S. most of their flyaways were related to gropros with wifi left on.

Gary39 said:
rapyd said:

I know what you mean, 60 years of flying and have that throttle thrown at you. Bring up the page that you downloaded software from, at the bottom there is an " online help" click on it. Brings up another page, onleft side curse down to "ready to fly phantom," curse down below all their crap till you find release history. Click on the one for 2.00 assistant, will download 2.00 software then do the same as you did for the upgrade. Don't believe by going back, that you are losing any great improvements. You're not, if you fly like me, the 2.00 is better. They are trying to appease people that don't know how to fly. Any problems I'll be back. P.S. most of their flyaways were related to gropros with wifi left on.

I wish they could give us a radio button in the software to convert the throttle back without downgrading.

I wish they would just give us an option in the software to enable throttle up from 0% or throttle up from 50%. That way they could make everyone happy.

Yes, the option for the take off will be nice. I for one didn't care about 50% throttle auto take off so I held back the upgrade until a few days ago. Anyway, I found out that I did not hate the auto take off as I thought I would be. I gave in because several other new features such as:

NAZA-M assistant software: Add the Compass (raw) value in the “Tools” tab, and also the “Mod” value of Gyroscope, Acceleration and Compass, to help users fix the navigation problems

Many reported much better GPS lock.

Many reported faster warm up time.

Wobbling on descending is reduced.

New improved software to eliminate fly away.( Add Receiver Advanced Protection Function.)

Fix the problem of transmitter mid point deviation and travel asymmetry. Add mid point checking when power on, if there is too much deviation of mid point, motor start fails and LED indicator flashes Red to warn you.

Optimize stop motor in Intelligent Mode, the criterion of stopping motor changes from under 40% throttle stick to under 10%.

FS switch option in place of MANUAL.

////////////
Want full throttle control on the take off, switch to MANUAL mode.

tanasit said:
Yes, the option for the take off will be nice. I for one didn't care about 50% throttle auto take off

Not sure if I "get it" all yet since I just got mine today. But maybe it's worth mentioning that the throttle on my xmtr is spring-loaded to center. In all the DJI videos I looked at, the throttle was always all the way at the bottom at the start of each take-off. Mine won't do that - it returns to center when I let go of it. It works fine though - Phantom ascends if I push it up, descends if I pull it toward me (down). Hovers if I let it go back to center. I don't know what would be better.

I just finished updating firmware to 3.12, and I'm not seeing any "problem". Of course, if one is accustomed to conventional RC stick positions, it could seem "different", but certainly nothing to get excited about, IMO.

Can't keep up with what dji is doing. Apparently the new models have a sping loaded throttle. Nobody will be able to tell what's going on. I give up,never seen anyting like it. Talk about confusion. Apparently the new software is meant for the newer models ? Why the hell can't dji say so, or at least give us a clue what the hell they're doing. What an outfit! I'm disgusted !!! They should have informed everyone that the new downloads were not for older models. "Frustrated" is not the word, if they don't have a bad mishap with their sell and fix later attitude I'll eat ny hat !

Gary39 said:
Can't keep up with what dji is doing. Apparently the new models have a sping loaded throttle. Nobody will be able to tell what's going on. I give up,never seen anyting like it. Talk about confusion. Apparently the new software is meant for the newer models ? Why the hell can't dji say so, or at least give us a clue what the hell they're doing. What an outfit! I'm disgusted !!! They should have informed everyone that the new downloads were not for older models. "Frustrated" is not the word, if they don't have a bad mishap with their sell and fix later attitude I'll eat ny hat !
I don't see what the big deal is. I think the old RC guys really like the old way of doing things - moving the throttle moved a servo which gave more power. These days, we are not flying. The little computer in the Phantom is flying. We are just telling it what we'd like it to do.

Moving the throttle is now telling it to climb. It figures out how much power is needed to accomplish that. Above 50% is to climb, below is to descend. It no longer matters how far you need to move the throttle based on how full a battery is.

As soon as I used the new firmware I thought a spring-loaded throttle would be nice. Not necessary, but nice. Hopefully, they'll come out with a little kit to add that.

This is very true, you aren't really flying like days of old ,now the phantom does the flying for you. It just seems like they would create a new product then put out the firmware for it instead of vice versa, to confuse the issue. The way states are passing laws against them we probably won't have to worry about it.I had looked at naza h for my elecric helis, It didn't have, at the time, the auto takeoff, which I thought would be great. Now that I know what it is, I don't want it, the phantom has made me lazy, I just sit there and watch it do it's thing. Took a heli out the other day and almost busted it up, expecting the phantom controls to fly it. Woke up to the fact,this wasn't the phantom in a hurry. Wind has been so bad here, the only thing I could fly enjoyably was the phantom with the autopilot and gps,faster than I can correct these days.

It is being so since DJI is geared toward the Phantom that most people fly for videography so the auto take off plus center stick hover are the godsend to them.
Many Phantom flyers with old firmware had trouble with taking off and crash will also appreciated these new features.

So again, if you feel like having all control yourself, try flipping to MANUAL mode. ;)

Note: DJI is coming out with the throttle spring kit for the old TX.

Guess you guys are right, phantom wasn't made for guys who want to fly, just for people to take videos. Sorry I interferred with this forum.

Gary39 said:
Guess you guys are right, phantom wasn't made for guys who want to fly, just for people to take videos. Sorry I interferred with this forum.
I like to fly! :)

Actually, what I really have a BLAST flying is that little Helimax 1SQ. For me, it is really flying as it requires some skill, and unlike the Phantom, you can crash almost as much as you want and no worries. And, it's only $100.

Do I sound like I work for them?? :roll:

tanasit said:
It is being so since DJI is geared toward the Phantom that most people fly for videography so the auto take off plus center stick hover are the godsend to them.
Many Phantom flyers with old firmware had trouble with taking off and crash will also appreciated these new features.

So again, if you feel like having all control yourself, try flipping to MANUAL mode. ;)

Note: DJI is coming out with the throttle spring kit for the old TX.

I would definitely agree there, they Phantom is definitely being marketed as an aerial video/photography platform.
i know of one "dealer' that solely sells Phantom's and nothing more (FilmTools. they're a huge video and film gear company).

So it's really been confirmed that all newer Phantom Tx's come with a spring loaded throttle?
(i thought it might have just been a fluke that one guy got one)

Quite glad I looked over this thread.
Personally everytime I loaded the Naza assistant software it wouldn't allow me to login (refused to believe my email address was recognised despite 2 resets). Today I realised that because of not being logged in, the software didn't connect to the server and hence believed (and said) my Firmware was up to date even though I was running firmware 3.00 not 3.12!

I havn't got out to fly with the new firmware yet but sounds like the 50% throttle is a pain especially as I've learnt (and had no issue with) full control.

All that said there is no way I'd want to risk not having the latest firmware on something of this value with this many complex electronics in it. I agree DJI should have a better mailing system (especially as they have all our emails) and any update should be announced well in advance with details especially if it changes flying characteristics.

I think DJI have a forum so I think it is important feedback like this thread gets posted there too (as many of you may have done?). Probably the best way to get them to listen to suggestions like the option to turn of 'auto take off'.

Does anyone of you also have a yellow light for about 3 minutes before they phantom can take off? Since I updated it, it takes 3 minutes before I can start to fly. Not really an improvement I think. :evil:

bulleteater said:
Does anyone of you also have a yellow light for about 3 minutes before they phantom can take off? Since I updated it, it takes 3 minutes before I can start to fly. Not really an improvement I think. :evil:

Same here, very trying to stand and stare at the blinking yellow lights for nearly 3 minutes. Wonder how much the battery drain is while the yellow lights are blinking? I hate to lose any more flying time. Flying great once the Phantom gets off the ground.

Nik

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj