2nd flight on 3.04 CRASH-VRS

Kelly,

I know there was a s/w revision a short while back to address erroneous battery problems and wonder if maybe it was also updated in 3.04.

Tom

I made one correction to the title page of the video, noting the FW version is 3.02 not 3.04. Otherwise the same footage.

http://youtu.be/6Tf_AHdGOiQ

Thanks Tom for your insights. I will reach out to B&H and DJI on this. (Grateful I bought from B&H on this bird!) Happy to receive your expert review on the footage. Among other things, I hereby retract my comments yesterday specifically about v3.04, though I am still very uncomfortable sending either P2 aloft, not knowing when HW/FW/SW flaws will strike next. Thankfully I was not over more dense human activity. Until further notice, I am going out of my way to avoid flying over our town, and keeping my flight plans to the more rural parts of the valley.

Also very happy to have the DVR+iOSD now in place. Why do I think that wasn't my last black box recovery post-mortem report??

IrishSights, thanks for your compliments on the post-mortem video and summary. Agree that there are waaaay too many "Whoa, I was just flying along and you'll never guess what happened!" reports with scant details that would enable the tribe's black belts to assist in a post-mortem. Your post elsewhere prescribing a standard reporting form / format is an excellent idea.

And thanks to the NTSB for working with our team late into last night to compile the Preliminary Report. ;)

Kelly

Kelly,

Perhaps they need to establish a new division of the NTSB and call it NDSB for obvious reasons.

I really believe that B+H, with all your documentation will be very helpful.

What dvr are you using? I need to get one.

Tom

Kelly,

To me it appears the iOSD blinks off as you have flight problems, making me think power rather than VRS. Or does you iOSD blink off all the time.

Do you have the extra pixels on the iOSD all the time or just with one particular battery?
Have you taken the props off, set the Phantom on a table, run the motors and watched the iOSD?

Just a general question - isn't a vortex ring formed any time a quad hovers or descends directly downward? Wasn't v3.02 and 3.04 just to reduce downward velocity and reduce the chance of destructive VRS, but not perhaps to eliminate it? Because it can't be eliminated and a quad will always experience VRS when descending, especially if straight down?? And as someone pointed out somewhere(don't remember where), temperature, humidity and wind speed and direction all affect the amount of VRS or the severity of the effect of VRS?

Buk said:
Just a general question - isn't a vortex ring formed any time a quad hovers or descends directly downward? Wasn't v3.02 and 3.04 just to reduce downward velocity and reduce the chance of destructive VRS, but not perhaps to eliminate it? Because it can't be eliminated and a quad will always experience VRS when descending, especially if straight down?? And as someone pointed out somewhere(don't remember where), temperature, humidity and wind speed and direction all affect the amount of VRS or the severity of the effect of VRS?

Correct.

This has been studied since there have been helicopters.

Not sure how multiple-rotor systems make this more or less of an issue on top of what is already known.

I'm sure study is underway though.

ALLOW ME TO CLARIFY:
SIMPLY STATING this is just the second flight on 3.04. didn't say that i think 3.04 is the culprit.
my thoughts are still VRS.
I turned around and went into a hover. then tried to power forward (towards me) i noticed my throttle movements were very dull. like being in fluid pan mode. except i was NOT in fluid pan mode... continued to power forward then
0:45 is when i notice it will not power forward AND it is starting to sink.
panic sets in, but remember not to whiskey throttle it and let go of all controls. Nothing.
then power forward. no response in any direction.
1:03 no response and picking up speed.

- battery was at 58% (full batt at start)
-10 satts
- compass cal successful

TheFlyingSentinel said:
Guys ... I read a lot about the 3.04 Version ... I did about 50 flights with 3.04 and it is just fine ... no issue at all ...

BUT ... the issue that the my Phantom decents very rapidly out of the blue sky happens to me in the past as well. In my case it was related to a "bad" battery. With this particular battery the Phantom has dropped from sky allmost like a brick when the battery lavel was somewhere between 50 - 60% ...

No warning ... no Errors ... just rapidly decents without being able to control the decent path that much.

I send the battery for replacement ... got the replacement and the issue is gone ...

So maybe the cause is not really the Firmware ... maybe you have a faulty battery like I had ...

cheers,

Nik

I'm going to look into this specific cause more clearly. i feel VRS was a result of something else. i noticed flight control changes before it went into what felt like full on VRS.
thankfully DSRLPros has great customer service hopefully they can help get to the bottom of it and replace the battery if necessary

Kelso Kubat said:
I'm going to look into this specific cause more clearly. i feel VRS was a result of something else. i noticed flight control changes before it went into what felt like full on VRS.
thankfully DSRLPros has great customer service hopefully they can help get to the bottom of it and replace the battery if necessary

That crash is result of VRS unquestionably. Why it happened is less clear. Especially if you noticed reduced input control before it happened. Kelly's crash is totally different. Almost looks like a bird attack. Either that or a dying accelerometer or IMU.

ianwood said:
Kelso Kubat said:

That crash is result of VRS unquestionably. Why it happened is less clear. Especially if you noticed reduced input control before it happened. Kelly's crash is totally different. Almost looks like a bird attack. Either that or a dying accelerometer or IMU.

I agree. hopefully ill be able to get to the bottom of the issue soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31