2K flight

Reaction score
k7pNEgwl.jpg

Hope link works, did a 2K GS flight to secret cold war site on Orfordness England, ran into a strong head wind and only just made the 2K back to land..... I was worried!

It's not really an island, it's joined to mainland by a spit at Aldebrough. The quickest way across used to be by landing craft at Orford. Was over there years ago working at the BBC radio site there. It used to be a listening station monitoring radio traffic from Europe. The buildings in the photo were where nuke detonators were tested.

Very cool! I'd wondered if that's what those 2 bunkers were for.

I have a fondness too for cold war relics like that, I know the UK and the rest of EU are littered with them.

The Atomic Weapons Research Establishment had a base on the site, used for environmental testing. When a laboratory test is conducted to determine the functional performance of a component or system under conditions that simulate the real environment in which the component or system is expected to operate. Many of the buildings from this time remain clearly visible from the quay at Orford, including the distinctive "pagodas". Whilst it is maintained that no fissile material was tested on the site, the very high explosive initiator charge was present and the buildings were designed to absorb any accidental explosion, allowing gases and other material to vent and dissipate in a directed or contained manner. In the event of a larger accident, the roofs were designed to collapse onto the building, sealing it with a lid of concrete.

In the late 1960s an experimental Anglo-American military over-the-horizon radar known as Cobra Mist was built on the peninsula. It closed in 1973, and in the late 1970s and early 1980s the site and building were re-used for the Orfordness transmitting station. This powerful mediumwave radio station - originally owned and run by the Foreign Office, then the BBC and, after privatization in the 1990s, a series of private companies - was best known for transmitting the BBC World Service in English around the clock to continental Europe on 648 kHz from September 1982 until March 2011. The station has been disused since May 2012.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel