$250~3DPOWER Brushless Gimbal Mount DJI Phantom 2 Vision

Kind of puts the whole Rotorpixel gimbal affair in perspective, if they can sort out all those issues in what appears to be a very tidy unit then maybe it is worth climbing on the RP fun bus after all!
Bugger I really thought we had the immediate gimbal solution from the Pearl of the Orient.

themosttoys said:
That's what I was saying. There is a lot that could go wrong (if not done properly). For example, if the ginmal controller and motors pull too much power from the wrong place (Ex: NAZA flight controller or even main board) they could cause a failure or malfunction. Another concern is the noise that motors feedback into the power line (or noise that comes from the P2V to the gimbal), that noise (if not filtered / corrected) could cause problems with the NAZA flight controller or other parts like the GPS, ESC's, radios, ... If you use a separate power source (as it seems they have chosen to do) none of this is any concern, much easier to deal with something when you don't have to think about it.

Simple solution would be to tap into the back of the main battery terminals, use a voltage regulator to step the voltage to what the gimbal requires, wrap the wires four or five times through a ferrite core (just to be safe) and go flying.

EDIT: I just read a little slower, they say "3s" so if you tap into the P2V battery terminal you do not need a voltage regulator, just ferrite core (optional but a good idea) and go. Not too bad, just be careful to not mess up the main lines into the P2V (bad news.)

That's a brilliant idea! I have a "friend" that may want to sell you his 3DPower Gimbal to mod and save the day for everyone... :)

would have been nice if they have mentioned this in the beginning. off to the resolution center I go!

Duke131 said:
That's a brilliant idea! I have a "friend" that may want to sell you his 3DPower Gimbal to mod and save the day for everyone... :)

I've already done the mod (it's how I power my amp), if I had a gimbal, I could test fly it today (as far as I know, nothing needs to be done to the gimbal itself.)

Attachments

• P2VAmp5.JPG
    P2VAmp5.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 595
themosttoys said:
Duke131 said:

I've already done the mod (it's how I power my amp), if I had a gimbal, I could test fly it today (as far as I know, nothing needs to be done to the gimbal itself.)

did you just solder your + - connections on the back of the terminal, there?

I've asked taco.toy if the power for the gimbal could be pulled from the P2V itself.
This is his answer
we do not recommend to use the flight controller power because we do not want the gimbal affect the operation of the flight controller.
you could actually use the power to the camera (12V).

Got an other reply.
Hi, please be notified that you need a separated battery(eg. 3s 800mah) to power up the gimbal. If you have difficulty in finding one or you do not like this approach. we will refund you fully.
Not sure what to do now... I like the simplicity of the gimble, and I do not mind "hacking" the P2V or gimble to make it work better.
However. If the gimble is generating a lot of noise on the electronics it will be hard to filter it out

One more thing.

taco.toy is aware of this thread (so be nice to him), and mentioned to me that when the gimble is directly connected to the P2V battery (like themosttoys did for his power amp) things should work fine.

Anyway. I am proceeding with the order!

Noël said:
One more thing.

taco.toy is aware of this thread (so be nice to him), and mentioned to me that when the gimble is directly connected to the P2V battery (like themosttoys did for his power amp) things should work fine.

Anyway. I am proceeding with the order!

I'd probably put a fuse in that line, if there isn't one already...

Just as a head's up - the 3 pin cable coming from the underside of the Vision is *not* a normal servo cable, and likely why they didn't include one. If you try pressing a servo cable into the flat pins of the P2V's servo cable, you may damage the pins or the connector. So, if you're planning on modding things, just be careful not to cause damage to your system!

Also, for those interested in providing power, if done correctly, you can indeed pull power from the cable going to the camera, or directly from the battery. But, once again, be careful that your polarities are correct, and that there are not shorts, otherwise the main board can be fried very easily (trust me...).

This is information that this company should be telling you up front (rather than one of its competitors), but seeing as they are not making this information public, I feel the need to step in and give these warnings/information to save you guys from destroying your systems.

Keri

I'm going to take another one for the team and order a 3S 800mAH LiPo battery and charger from ebay to give this gimbal a fair test. I'm a glutton for punishment! I'd rather spend $23 to buy the additional stuff than mess around with the electrical system of my baby! The battery is fairly light at 2.47 oz (70 g) so I'll velcro it to the underside somewhere. I appreciate the fact that Taco Toy updated their website to state that it must be externally powered and is giving out full refunds to anyone who feels misled. So, I'll give it a fair test. Will report back in a few days.

Thanks for chiming in, Keri! That's what's cool about this community. It's a community, and like me, I'm sure that many of the testers that ordered this gimbal have also purchased a Rotorpixel gimbal as well. So it's all good. :cool:

I think im going to hardwire from the main battery terminals. I don't think there will be room on the underside to Velcro a battery to..and if there is, what about balancing? if I fry it, screw it..have my eye on a f550 anyway lol.

tizzl10 said:
I think im going to hardwire from the main battery terminals. I don't think there will be room on the underside to Velcro a battery to..and if there is, what about balancing? if I fry it, screw it..have my eye on a f550 anyway lol.

Your soccer balls are regulation-sized, mine are youth-league... :shock:

Keri, since you are reading this forum. Please answer us a few questions. How many of your gimbals have shipped and how many are on back order?

No way back anymore....
Thank you for your recent order. Below is your confirmation that we have shipped your order. Please review the information below and notify us immediately if you have any questions.

No way back anymore....
Thank you for your recent order. Below is your confirmation that we have shipped your order. Please review the information below and notify us immediately if you have any questions.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4