24x36 picture of 10 acres

Reaction score
I've been asked to take a picture of 10 acres(rectangular shaped) and blow it up to 24x36 picture. Is this possible with a P3P to make this picture sharp enough?

I've been asked to take a picture of 10 acres(rectangular shaped) and blow it up to 24x36 picture. Is this possible with a P3P to make this picture sharp enough?

At 140 ft above ground, the camera should cover around 255 x 170 ft (one acre).

The closer you get to the ground, more shots will be needed, but for a print 24x36 you don't need that much detail, in my opinion.

Reactions: Mudcat
Here's one I did this week - 52 acres.
I shot 22 individual images with lots of overlap.
It's sharp enough to print up much larger than the size you mentioned.

Attachments

• 629 MM Rd ortho2b.jpg
    8.7 MB · Views: 749
Here's one I did this week - 52 acres.
I shot 22 individual images with lots of overlap.
It's sharp enough to print up much larger than the size you mentioned.
I'm glad its possible, I don't understand exactly how you did it though?

I
I'm glad its possible, I don't understand exactly how you did it though?
I flew over the site looking straight down, shooting pics to ensure coverage with overlap.
Then used some stitching software to put it together.
If it was a more detailed project I would have used something like DroneDeploy to fly a precise grid.
This shows how the pics were taken:
i-MSkpHfS-XL.jpg

I

I flew over the site looking straight down, shooting pics to ensure coverage with overlap.
If it was a more detailed project I would have used something like DroneDeploy to fly a precise grid.
i-MSkpHfS-XL.jpg
Curious, what stitching software did you use?

Also dependent on intent I assume.
If the outcome is for mapping purposes, documenting with some degree of detail and precision or for illustrative purposes. In which case you can get creative and drop down and shoot at a more oblique angle... specially if there are impressive landmarks around - such as the Grand Tetons... and consequently cover more area in the image)

It depends on how demanding your client is and the veiwing distance for the print. 300DPI is super sharp so for a phantom that's just over 13 inches wide (4000/300). I'm not saying the print can't look good going to 36" but you will need to work hard in post with your resizing.

As others have said I would be stitching images to get a higher res file.

It's not free but I have had great success with PTGui. The current photoshop and Lightroom do a good job stitching images also.

Reactions: Pharm and Falcon900
Absolutely agree. Was only pointing out an alternative and you rightly point out - Client demands... absolutely. Personally I use a lot of stitch also... been using Lightroom and photoshop for long time... and if I need to go big the NIK collection (once a pretty $$$ suite of photo enhancement tools, then bought by Google I believe then they released it to the world...) has a Sharpener Pro and raw sharpener that does quite good job... now the challenge of adding a uav into the mix is daunting, exciting, addicting and mind expanding all at once.

Reactions: Lefty63
I

i-MSkpHfS-XL.jpg
Thank you!

Use "map pilot" from maps made easy. Simple fully automated job. Fantastic results.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Mudcat if you need help stitching images I can help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thank you! Yeah, I need to have this trick in my bag. I also see where Photo shop can increase image size without losing resolution. I wonder how well that works?

I

i-MSkpHfS-XL.jpg
Thank you! I've got to learn how to do this!

Thank you! Yeah, I need to have this trick in my bag. I also see where Photo shop can increase image size without losing resolution. I wonder how well that works?
That will work only up to a point. I have doubled the pixel resolution in PS with good results. The viewing distance is the biggest factor. The farther away your viewers will be the less resolution you need for a given size print.
Adobe Lightroom has a really great resizing function which works to enlarge the image as part of the printing process.
24X36 is not somthing most will be doing at home so you have to create a file with the pixel dimensions that you can send out. 240 pixels per inch should give you a good print, so the file dimensions in pixels would be 24x240=5760 and 36X240=8640. That will be easy with a stitched file.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl