2 Props come off mid flight!!

dbfletcher said:
tritontr21 said:
dbfletcher said:
tritontr21 said:
Does your controller have the thumb wheel top left side of TX?

(Figuring out what version he has)

He answered that in this post of this thread

http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32463#p297102
I only saw "about three months ago." Did I miss something?

Looks that way.. here is the text from the link i posted above.
The Vision plus version 2 and I've had it about three months - no MODS.
Ok. Thanks. I read that as Phantom 2 vision. Lol

Well at least it's not another v3.0. o_O it's got me cautious flying mine.

Yes it is the transmitter with the gimbal wheel.

(Haven't had time to open it up to take a look yet).

Is there anyway a short in the transmitter could cause motors to stop suddenly?

srchadwi said:

Well.. that should mean you have a Version 3... not a Version 2 as you previously stated. Did you buy the transmitter upgrade separately?

srchadwi said:

Nope. The motors are designed to spin only one direction.
Even if you did a csc in midflight, the props will remain attached.

What i dont know is when an esc fails, does it stop at the phase or does it freak out and reverse polarities and cause the motors to spin in reverse...

dbfletcher said:
srchadwi said:

Well.. that should mean you have a Version 3... not a Version 2 as you previously stated. Did you buy the transmitter upgrade separately?

The transmitter is an upgrade. It is definitely version 2.

Mako79 said:
What i dont know is when an esc fails, does it stop at the phase or does it freak out and reverse polarities and cause the motors to spin in reverse...

Yes I was wondering that. Do you think if one esc fails it could temporarily effect another one (given that 2 props came off but one of the motors is still working perfectly).

Mako79 said:
srchadwi said:

Nope. The motors are designed to spin only one direction.
Even if you did a csc in midflight, the props will remain attached.

Esc can fail in a few different ways if 1 phase fails it will stop and jerk back and forth. Disconnect 1 of the 3 wires going to a motor and try and power it up to see. Esc can also miss a beat going out of time but makes a heck of a noise when this happens.

I would guess you had a sudden loss of battery power and that 2 of the props just weren't as tight and inertia spun them off. Could be a shorted battery , bad connection, bad component. I would package it up with the battery used and send it to dji for a check over. I would not want to fly again until problem is found

Chriserl said:
Mako79 said:
srchadwi said:
I would guess you had a sudden loss of battery power and that 2 of the props just weren't as tight and inertia spun them off.

I know it's wise to make sure the props are nice and tight. But check out how the guy puts them on in DJI's own promotional video of these wonderful self tightening props. They are actually promoting just hand tightening them. Surely they should be designed not to come off whatever happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzdMBCFMnGg

srchadwi said:
I know it's wise to make sure the props are nice and tight. But check out how the guy puts them on in DJI's own promotional video of these wonderful self tightening props. They are actually promoting just hand tightening them. Surely they should be designed not to come off whatever happens.
That's because it all that is needed. You have to be able to remove the props as easily as you can fit them.
Under normal circumstances your props will never come off in flight.
You've had something abnormal happen, you heard the motors cut out.
Props on or off - nothing was going to keep that baby in the air with the motors cut.
The props aren't the cause of your problem.

Meta4 said:
srchadwi said:
Props on or off - nothing was going to keep that baby in the air with the motors cut.
The props aren't the cause of your problem.

I agree with you that in my case the props coming off didn't cause the crash. But suppose in another situation there was a sudden slow down of the engines and so the props came off as in my case but then the engines recovered. There would be no way to regain control of the bird as there would be no props on it. A better design would be to have props that could never come off whatever happened.

dbfletcher said:
srchadwi said:

Which is why I asked. It wasn't clear and "about 3 months old" is same time-frame as ver 3.0.

But you're saying it's a ver 2.0?

tritontr21 said:
Can you post a pic of the motors and the compass?

Just look at the motors where the props scew on. If you have a black dot then its the old. If you have a painted black mount then its the new.

When i say new, i mean ver 2 for the non vision and ver 3 for vision plus series.

crash1sttime said:
Might want to take a look here

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32368

not saying its your issue but its worth a read

take the cover off and check the cabling to the other motors for signs of failure.

IMO, this is completely unrelated to what the OP described about the props coming off during flight.

Mako79 said:
tritontr21 said:
Can you post a pic of the motors and the compass?

Just look at the motors where the props scew on. If you have a black dot then its the old. If you have a painted black mount then its the new.

When i say new, i mean ver 2 for the non vision and ver 3 for vision plus series.
What mako says. :D I want to be sure.

srchadwi said:
A better design would be to have props that could never come off whatever happened.
Before the Phantom's self-tightening props that's what all multi-rotors used.
Being able to easily remove and replace props is a very good feature.

It is a DJI Phantom 2 Vision plus version 2.

It has black dots where the props screw on.

It was bought 3 months ago and had been with the dealer for 4 months before that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues