2 and 3000 ft flights???

Pilot: Near-miss with drone 'scared me to death'
Don’t be the one that ruins the party!
The journalist who wrote that made the mistake of believing that drones were actually involved in those reports.
*August 5, 2017 - American Airlines A319 jet observes "shiny black UAS (unmanned aircraft system) while on approach for runway at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) at 3,500 feet.
*August 9, 2017 - Delta Airlines CRJ-900 regional jet, on approach to Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) reports "a black drone, 3-4ft, flying northbound at 7,300 feet" over Henderson Airport in Granville County.
"They're not following the rules," Reid said of drone pilots.
Those aren't drones.
Back in the past pilots reported UFOs. Now they see drones.

The journalist who wrote that made the mistake of believing that drones were actually involved in those reports.
*August 5, 2017 - American Airlines A319 jet observes "shiny black UAS (unmanned aircraft system) while on approach for runway at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) at 3,500 feet.
*August 9, 2017 - Delta Airlines CRJ-900 regional jet, on approach to Raleigh-Durham International Airport (RDU) reports "a black drone, 3-4ft, flying northbound at 7,300 feet" over Henderson Airport in Granville County.
"They're not following the rules," Reid said of drone pilots.
Those aren't drones.
Back in the past pilots reported UFOs. Now they see drones.

What's more likely, a UFO or a drone?

Reactions: Deezbs
What's more likely, a UFO or a drone?
I would venture to say UFO! At those altitudes within that close proximity of an airplane would be a pretty rare combination. What are the chances of encounters that close? In a big Open Sky!
Of course I believe people do abused the rules of flying drones but some of these encounters just seem completely bogus I think some of these Pilots could be making up stories!
According to the way these people are describing their sightings you would picture flashing dots all over the sky at any given point. Trust me I'm not knocking the issue here it just seems that there might be some long Tales being told!

Reactions: Jim Canada
I would venture to say UFO! At those altitudes within that close proximity of an airplane would be a pretty rare combination. What are the chances of encounters that close? ....
I'm not knocking the issue here it just seems that there might be some long Tales being told!
The FAA Drone Sightings Database UAS Sightings Report is full of extremely dubious records that are frequently referred to by journalists (who wouldn't know better) and the FAA (who should know better) to show how dangerous drone-plane incidents are increasing.
It's exactly this sort of reporting that contributes to pilot's fears of drones and may be putting the idea of a drone into their mind when they see something they can't identify, which just increases the reporting of more "drone" incidents.
The FAA Sightings Reports always make for some interesting reading
Here I've picked 10 records from the first 25 in the latest report.
I suspect the first one probably was a drone but I'm not so sure about any of the others.
I wonder what the numbers of UFO reports are like lately?

i-8pRWjRj-XL.jpg

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The FAA Drone Sightings Database UAS Sightings Report is full of extremely dubious records that are frequently referred to by journalists (who wouldn't know better) and the FAA (who should know better) to show how dangerous drone-plane incidents are increasing.
It's exactly this sort of reporting that contributes to pilot's fears of drones and may be putting the idea of a drone into their mind when they see something they can't identify, which just increases the reporting of more "drone" incidents.
The FAA Sightings Reports always make for some interesting reading
Here I've picked 10 records from the first 25 in the latest report.
I suspect the first one probably was a drone but I'm not so sure about any of the others.
I wonder what the numbers of UFO reports are like lately?

i-8pRWjRj-XL.jpg

Mind you, not every drone is a Phantom or a Mavic. A Reaper or a Raptor can (and often do) reach those altitudes. Of course they are definitely not small.

Last edited:
UFO's?? I wonder why, now that almost everyone carries a video and still camera, why we don't see many UFO videos or photos? If I had made any videos, I'd certainly have posted them for others to see and evaluate. I have no idea what those pilots are seeing but I doubt drones of "UFO's".
Jim
WA5TEF

UFO's?? I wonder why, now that almost everyone carries a video and still camera, why we don't see many UFO videos or photos? If I had made any videos, I'd certainly have posted them for others to see and evaluate. I have no idea what those pilots are seeing but I doubt drones of "UFO's".
Jim
WA5TEF

Maybe you have an old flip phone? You can easily find authentic UFO videos online. Google "Phoenix Lights Incident" an entire city can't be wrong there. Check out "Secureteam 10" they document a lot of things going on that you won't see on your nightly news. To say "no UFO" videos is uneducated and naive.

Phoenix Lights - Wikipedia

Reactions: Jim Canada
Well I won’t get into another pointless argument on here because two sides always form and strive to fuel it further. However, I have spent many nights outside in the military and as an astronomer and have seen several “lights in the sky”. Once I observed these lights with night vision goggles which continues to show lights, only much brighter. At no time have I seen anything with any detail shown, only lights. With today’s technology these lights can be easily produced and made to do all sorts of things but I still have seen no video of details other than “lights in the sky”!

If you have photographic evidence showing detail other than lights, please post it. Though this is a drone forum and not for UFS’s I believe others would like to see it.

Thanks for your comments,
Jim
WA5TEF.

You can't determine what another has seen. As a drone pilot, all you can determine is that your drone NEVER flies above 400'. Whether or not another saw a drone at very high altitudes, you can be sure if it was a drone, the risk of collision with a manned aircraft, no matter how small, should have been avoided. That drone did not belong above the legal ceiling without special authorization.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT