2.7k or 4k? Need answer fast!

My horizon has been pretty darn good and I think even better since update.
That's what I hear. The video glitches in 4K 60 are proving to be more troublesome to eliminate. Rumors that they were eliminated with 1.03.0509 are unfounded! They are still there! :eek:

That's what I hear. The video glitches in 4K 60 are proving to be more troublesome to eliminate. Rumors that they were eliminated with 1.03.0509 are unfounded! They are still there! :eek:
My horizon has been pretty level on the P4P but I do get crazy gimbal freak outs way too often. Only had the P4P uh 5 days now and I'd say it's happened 10-15 times with just under 5.5 hrs of active air time. My yaw also drifts like crazy, to the point of not really being able to do HDR or pano very well. :( No amount of compass, RC, or IMU calibration has made a difference yet. I'm on one Fw down from latest, though, bc every time I update to latest I lose 90% of my video transmission signal! Fun times with firmware. I'm still utterly enamored by the massive camera upgrade, though, so it hasn't quite bubbled up to major frustration yet! I'll have to try the Fw again.

With a realistic 5 mile control radius with clear LOS, the only limitation is the battery and your imagination! Pick any direction and different times of day, and go out and back! Every flight will be different. You can cover over 78 square miles, from a single elevated launch point that has a panoramic unobstructed view! :cool:

Sadly out my back door is wonderful to fly ... except poor LOS due to trees and hillside. I can still get 2-3000' of range. It was interesting watching the range plummet on the Mavic as the leaves came in this spring, though. :) There are a few nearby spots that I've staked out though with the LOS line the hilltop from the video there.

Sadly out my back door is wonderful to fly ... except poor LOS due to trees and hillside. I can still get 2-3000' of range. It was interesting watching the range plummet on the Mavic as the leaves came in this spring, though. :) There are a few nearby spots that I've staked out though with the LOS line the hilltop from the video there.
Get up on your roof and build a small helipad! Worked for me! ;)

Get up on your roof and build a small helipad! Worked for me! ;)

Oh, I've flown off the roof a few times. But on top of my roof I'm still 60' below the treeline in all directions! I mostly love where I live, but when it comes to 5.8ghz radio wave propogation, it could be better! :)

Went out 10,000' tonight from a park. Not completely clear line of site, there was a treeline that I started to go behind about there as my signal dropped off a cliff suddenly, and came back when I increased altitude. It was time to go home then anyways (started out at 65%). So much fun and enthralling.

Oh, I've flown off the roof a few times. But on top of my roof I'm still 60' below the treeline in all directions! I mostly love where I live, but when it comes to 5.8ghz radio wave propogation, it could be better! :)

Went out 10,000' tonight from a park. Not completely clear line of site, there was a treeline that I started to go behind about there as my signal dropped off a cliff suddenly, and came back when I increased altitude. It was time to go home then anyways (started out at 65%). So much fun and enthralling.
Where are you? Bainbridge Island? They have some of the tallest trees and the island is covered with them! Tough place to fly, unless you can build a tree house, up on top of one of those 100' tall trees! :cool:

Where are you? Bainbridge Island? They have some of the tallest trees and the island is covered with them! Tough place to fly, unless you can build a tree house, up on top of one of those 100' tall trees! :cool:

Huh, never heard of Bainbridge Island but it looks beautiful! I'm on the other coast in northeastern Connecticut, up reasonably high but there are 70-100' trees all around me and I'm on the side of a big hill (around here we call it a mountain, you west coasters would call it a bump [emoji3]). There's one narrow window about 20-30 degrees where the land slopes all down but there are still trees that way so unless I get a lot more altitude I still lose LOS pretty quickly. It's honestly still better to do 2.8 auto here sometimes. Just have to turn off some radios and it's pretty decent

But it just gives me a push to go find new places to fly. The drone is primarily about photography for me anyways, so new locations are always good. :)

Huh, never heard of Bainbridge Island but it looks beautiful! I'm on the other coast in northeastern Connecticut, up reasonably high but there are 70-100' trees all around me and I'm on the side of a big hill (around here we call it a mountain, you west coasters would call it a bump [emoji3]). There's one narrow window about 20-30 degrees where the land slopes all down but there are still trees that way so unless I get a lot more altitude I still lose LOS pretty quickly. It's honestly still better to do 2.8 auto here sometimes. Just have to turn off some radios and it's pretty decent

But it just gives me a push to go find new places to fly. The drone is primarily about photography for me anyways, so new locations are always good. :)
2.4 definitely penetrates trees better than Auto 5.8Ghz. Most of the antenna mods are for 2.4, so you might consider one of those, if a 100' tree stand isn't in the cards. :cool:

Last edited:
2.8 definitely penetrates trees better than Auto 5.8Ghz. Most of the antenna mods are for 2.8, so you might consider one of those, if a 100' tree stand isn't in the cards. :cool:
I don't think 2.8ghz would be a good choice, sharing spectrum with military, meteorological and civilian radar could be more problematic than Bluetooth, cordless phones, baby monitors and wifi combined.... '-p

I don't think 2.8ghz would be a good choice, sharing spectrum with military, meteorological and civilian radar could be more problematic than Bluetooth, cordless phones, baby monitors and wifi combined.... '-p
The 32 Channel Hack can help, and amplified 2.4Ghz on a DBS-02 antenna mod gets signal out to almost 6 miles in a heavily urban environment on my P4. However, with clear LOS and no trees, Auto 5.8Ghz is still the best option on the P4P, out to over 5 miles with a just a windsurfer.

The 32 Channel Hack can help, and amplified 2.4Ghz on a DBS-02 antenna mod gets signal out to almost 6 miles in a heavily urban environment on my P4. However, with clear LOS and no trees, Auto 5.8Ghz is still the best option on the P4P, out to over 5 miles with a just a windsurfer.
2.4 yes, not 2.8...... I'm going to try a 2.4ghz point to point wifi yagi next time I'm out bush and see if I can fly to the limit of the battery... I don't mind it auto landing in open desert.

2.4 yes, not 2.8...... I'm going to try a 2.4ghz point to point wifi yagi next time I'm out bush and see if I can fly to the limit of the battery... I don't mind it auto landing in open desert.
Good catch! My bad! Previous post typo corrected. :cool:
I copied the OP's 2.8 without thinking or correcting.

Yeah 2.4 not 2.8, just a rushing typo. :)

That's th beauty of the P4P tho, so nice to have a frequency choice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga