17-JUL New Phantom Upgrade Option

Adam said:
Looks real nice! Wonder what the retail will be? I'm pretty happy with my PMU V2 for $65 and the control knob I added for $7. But this looks easier to install.

Adam, where did you get control stick? I have already purchased and installed the PMU v2, using the gimbal, all working well thus far. Just need the stick as a screwdriver is a pain in the ***.

Cheers!

timvand said:
Adam, where did you get control stick? I have already purchased and installed the PMU v2, using the gimbal, all working well thus far. Just need the stick as a screwdriver is a pain in the ***.

Cheers!

I Can only imagine... ;-)

Hi Pilots,
I'm new in this forum and sorry for my english, I'm from Germany but obvioulsy I have to go worldwide to get some answers to my question ;)
I got mid last week the parts I've waited for more then 3 weeks - P330-H3-2D (upgrade board) and the Gimbal Zenmuse H3-2D.
After some while (hours) watching videos and reading manuals, I also found out with this combination there is no PMU V2, nor the GCU V1 needed to use the gimbal properly.

B U T 2 questions poped up now:

1) how to make a firmware upgrade or to connect the gimbal to the Zenmuse Assistant software - there is no USB for the Gimbal if there is no GCU ??????? - or is it connected with noram Phantom USB also to Zenmuse Assistant software - I've tried, but it didn't work - maybe I've done somethign wrong.
2) is it possible to power on/off the Hero3 via this Gimbal hardware and how ??? - which channel at RC.

Basically the gimbal works fine - I admit i also have the horizontal moves more then without gimbal, but i hope i can get rid of that by flying more carefully.

Thanks a lot for all your hints.
whish you nice flights without any damages.

wbr Rainer - Augsburg / Germany

I have just installed the upgrade main board. Easy installation, not too happy with range of pitch control. Waiting to hear if there is some adjustment.

OK everyone. NOW i am totally confused. I have the Phantom which I bought about a month ago, and i am deleriously happy with it. It does however need a gimble to stabalise the images.

I have nearly saved enough money for the Zenmuse, and now I read this !.

So, what is my best option ?

timholyoake said:
OK everyone. NOW i am totally confused. I have the Phantom which I bought about a month ago, and i am deleriously happy with it. It does however need a gimble to stabalise the images.

I have nearly saved enough money for the Zenmuse, and now I read this !.

So, what is my best option ?

Spend $69.00 and get the upgrade board. Your Karma will thank you.

This RC stuff is like crack cocain. :twisted:

scrambler81 said:
I have just installed the upgrade main board. Easy installation, not too happy with range of pitch control. Waiting to hear if there is some adjustment.

Mine points up with the motors in view then down looking straight down. Yours?

E

I purchased my DJI Phantom - PDB Upgrade Kit for $69 from DSLRPros.com. Quick service. As I said easy of install also watch video on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-9xW3JJ1Y) The slide leaver on back of transmitter dose not have enough range of motion for verticle range of motion for GoPro camera. I released tension on screw for more range. Again easy set up happy with gimbal

Scrambler81

Since this includes the PMU and the GCU, does that means that all you need is the actual zenmuse gimbal from the package and cables? I just bought a phantom last week and crashed it. The body is cracked and the receiver wont connect to the remote. I've brought it to the hobby shop for repair. I have no knowledge on how to solder and would prefer that they do it. They charge for the service of taking it apart and doing all that. My question is this:

I am not able to afford the Zenmuse at this moment but would like to fix my phantom and install the upgrade kit and not have to pay them to crack it open twice. I've bought the receiver, the upgrade kit and a new body. Ebay has a "DJI Cable Pack for Zenmuse Z15 3-Axis Gimbal Camera Mount l" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Cable-Pack- ... 3a82c1f919) and I'm wondering if I purchase that, could I have the cable run and everything ready to go and when I can afford the zenmuse, all I have to do is attach the 2 screws and then plug it into the cables from ebay that they already ran?

They are also 3 hours away so if I can save myself a trip and an extra $100 for them to crack open the phantom again, that would be great.

Also, that cable pack on ebay, is that what I need to accomplish what I want to do?

Ksc said:
Since this includes the PMU and the GCU, does that means that all you need is the actual zenmuse gimbal from the package and cables? I just bought a phantom last week and crashed it. The body is cracked and the receiver wont connect to the remote. I've brought it to the hobby shop for repair. I have no knowledge on how to solder and would prefer that they do it. They charge for the service of taking it apart and doing all that. My question is this:

I am not able to afford the Zenmuse at this moment but would like to fix my phantom and install the upgrade kit and not have to pay them to crack it open twice. I've bought the receiver, the upgrade kit and a new body. Ebay has a "DJI Cable Pack for Zenmuse Z15 3-Axis Gimbal Camera Mount l" (http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Cable-Pack- ... 3a82c1f919) and I'm wondering if I purchase that, could I have the cable run and everything ready to go and when I can afford the zenmuse, all I have to do is attach the 2 screws and then plug it into the cables from ebay that they already ran?

They are also 3 hours away so if I can save myself a trip and an extra $100 for them to crack open the phantom again, that would be great.

Also, that cable pack on ebay, is that what I need to accomplish what I want to do?

The Phantom upgrade board does come with a grey 8-pin cable that can be used to connect the Zenmuse H3-2D to the upgrade board. However the Zenmuse itself comes with a black 8-pin cable that is longer, which is what I used to connect. To minimize the shop work, you could ask them to pre-stall the grey 8-pin cable and tape it to the outside of your Phantom. Then once you have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, there would be no need to do any internal connections. This works provided the grey cable is long enough, and it should be since it's being provided as part of a Phantom to Zenmuse H3-2D specific upgrade kit.

The only other thing is whether you want them to pre-install the other ribbon cable that is for sending video from the GoPro to a wireless video transmitter. If you don't plan to do FPV (at least not right away), then you don't need that cable installed. If you're not comfortable opening a Phantom, then you may not want to mess with FPV at this point (if ever).

You don't need or want the Zenmuse Z15 cable kit that is for DJI's larger Zenmuse Z15 gimbal (which costs ~$3500). It appears to use a similar 8-pin cable, but it's proabably much longer than you need and in any case you will already have the cables you need.

Steve

The Phantom upgrade board does come with a grey 8-pin cable that can be used to connect the Zenmuse H3-2D to the upgrade board. However the Zenmuse itself comes with a black 8-pin cable that is longer, which is what I used to connect. To minimize the shop work, you could ask them to pre-stall the grey 8-pin cable and tape it to the outside of your Phantom. Then once you have the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, there would be no need to do any internal connections. This works provided the grey cable is long enough, and it should be since it's being provided as part of a Phantom to Zenmuse H3-2D specific upgrade kit.

The only other thing is whether you want them to pre-install the other ribbon cable that is for sending video from the GoPro to a wireless video transmitter. If you don't plan to do FPV (at least not right away), then you don't need that cable installed. If you're not comfortable opening a Phantom, then you may not want to mess with FPV at this point (if ever).

You don't need or want the Zenmuse Z15 cable kit that is for DJI's larger Zenmuse Z15 gimbal (which costs ~$3500). It appears to use a similar 8-pin cable, but it's proabably much longer than you need and in any case you will already have the cables you need.

Steve[/quote]

Thank you Steve. Very helpful and time/money saving. I appreciate it.

You do not need to purchase DJI Cable Pack for Zenmuse Z15 3-Axis Gimbal Camera Mount. Everything you need will be in the Zenmuse box. The main upgrade board makes it easier to install and eliminates all the extra wiring you see on the e-bay site.

I already installed my Upgrade Kit, but I don't know why, the new board doesn't recognize the GPS unit!!! I think that there are some mistakes on the firmware!! Anybody have the same problem??

Attachments

• aa 2.jpg
    aa 2.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Dji are constantly upgrading their products and at a speed that is often annoying, as in this case. No sooner have you spent out on the first gimbal tilt upgrade that a new smaller cheaper and better version comes out. This is from a company that is highly innovative and has probably introduced quad flying to more people across the planet than any other. Its like they are so inexperienced in retail and customer management that they bring out new products before the current version has had its full retail life. A western company would not release an upgrade until it had at least sold all of the original production run.

I've just installed my Upgrade Board.

Am I right in thinking that the Upgrade Board does away for the need for the GCU?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl