17-JUL New Phantom Upgrade Option

Reaction score
Well this looks like something new...

ai15958125-75-thumb-board%20copy.jpg

DJI comes through with a great upgrade for Phantom users

DJI is pleased to release a new Upgrade Kit for the Phantom which gives a convenient solution for tilt control of the Zenmuse H3-2D using the Phantom TX. This upgrade makes it possible to obtain a greater filming experience and gives you more creative control.

Main Features:
Upgraded LED & MC board:

Integrated PMU
Additional 8 pin Interface for Gimbal
Additional 6 pin interface for Video link
Slide Lever on Phantom TX to enable simple tilt control for the Zenmuse H3-2D

a5958075-90-2.png

DJI will begin taking dealer orders in the last week of July.

Check out the Phantom on DJI's website.

Looks real nice! Wonder what the retail will be? I'm pretty happy with my PMU V2 for $65 and the control knob I added for $7. But this looks easier to install.

Adam said:
Looks real nice! Wonder what the retail will be? I'm pretty happy with my PMU V2 for $65 and the control knob I added for $7. But this looks easier to install.

Whoohoo! Looks like this will free up some room in the Phantom case since the PMU is integrated! Too bad I already bought the PMU v2. :-( Still on the fence with the Zenmuse H3-2D gimbal, though, until I see more positive experiences.

It looks like both the PMU V2, and the GCU V1 control modules would be done away with, as well as a new led/versatile
unit, that would probably communicate with both the Zenmuse gimbal, and the Naza controller.
A lot of space savings, and probably a more functional and reliable interface.

Audaciter said:
It looks like both the PMU V2, and the GCU V1 control modules would be done away with, as well as a new led/versatile
unit, that would probably communicate with both the Zenmuse gimbal, and the Naza controller.
A lot of space savings, and probably a more functional and reliable interface.

I would chalk this down to development of the Phantom platform which, don't get me wrong, is great, but what DJI has done wrong, and is inexcusable, in my opinion, is show a complete lack of communication and extremely poor customer support! Why would anyone buy a PMU v2 knowing that a new Phantom upgraded LED & MC board would come out integrating the PMU v2 (maybe even the GCU v1?) and including a 7th channel lever? Sounds like absolute greed to me! This should really irritate anyone who has already purchased the H3-2D gimbal and PMU v2! I purchased the PMU v2 and just happened to cancel my H3-2D gimbal order in time after hearing about the problems. It still irritates me that DJI would pull this !#$@ with their customers! Best of luck to those who have already purchased the gimbal, I sincerely hope your vendor treats you right! :-(

I'm just wondering if it makes more sense for me to WAIT for this kit to be in stock? (Haha, god knows when that will be) OR should I just put the PMU v2 in and be flying already. I've got a nice zenmuse gimbal just sitting here that I can't use!!

I'm a little frustrated. It's like getting a great toy for Christmas that needs batteries, but u don't have any... :|

I don't understand why dji did things this way...These "extra" items you need to install the $700 plug and play gimbal? Really????

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, Toby ... but my dealer tells me the upgrade kit is a better option ... I'm inclined to agree with him ... if for no other reason than the fact it's lighter than the PMU V2. So, I've decided to wait. Like you, though, I don't know for how long. My dealer says he expects to have it this week. I have my doubts about that.

My dealer ATL Hobby also says this week and he has been pretty accurate as of late.
He also told me to wait. My gimbal cane in July and have not installed it. I just hope its from a good batch.
To be honest he is also trying to talk me into a FW 500. I'm also looking at a Carboncore. Both are pricey but I really want good video with a stable platform. Wish I could make up my mind. I'm not regretting getting the Phantom but its like buying a boat. You never stop buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "New Phantom Upgrade Option" will hopefully solve a bunch of different issues for folks, but if I were you I would wait a couple of batches so you don't become another DJI Beta Tester (aka paying customer) victim.

I cannot imagine that DJI is putting out this kit as a "FIX" for the Zenmuse. Just a space saver, and a way to make
the main board function like it's supposed to again.

They are not coming out with new miracle fixes for the people who have something other than a Phantom, so basically
until they come out with an add on unit, or something that will fit universal projects as well, I would say they have not
fully addressed the problem.

tobycool23 said:
I'm just wondering if it makes more sense for me to WAIT for this kit to be in stock? (Haha, god knows when that will be) OR should I just put the PMU v2 in and be flying already. I've got a nice zenmuse gimbal just sitting here that I can't use!!

I'm a little frustrated. It's like getting a great toy for Christmas that needs batteries, but u don't have any... :|

I don't understand why dji did things this way...These "extra" items you need to install the $700 plug and play gimbal? Really????

Well it shows as 'in stock' at Atlanta Hobby and also at UAVProducts this afternoon so I went ahead and ordered one. Don't know that it differs functionally at all (I suppose not) but it will be a neater install, especially for folks using non-Phantom receivers and other on-board extras.

Edit: Oops, just the replacement board is in stock, new board due 8/1...

Steve

deluge2 said:
tobycool23 said:

Well it shows as 'in stock' at Atlanta Hobby and also at UAVProducts this afternoon so I went ahead and ordered one. Don't know that it differs functionally at all (I suppose not) but it will be a neater install, especially for folks using non-Phantom receivers and other on-board extras.

Edit: Oops, just the replacement board is in stock, new board due 8/1...

Steve

Got a message today that the gimbal and the new board are being held up for a redo. Looking at Mid August now for the next batch.

We will see I guess.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU-9xW3JJ1Y[/youtube]

Funny how they have a habit of releasing how to videos even before the item reach the stores....

and now they is a redesign of the board and the gimbal? how bout us current owners? will ours start to fail at a later time too due to some bad design in our current gimbals?

Hey everyone,
I felt like there could be a better and more practical version of the pitch control lever for Dji Phantom.
I spent a few weekends tinkering and produced 100% complete, super simple and easy to use lever with no DIY required. Just plug and play.
You can buy it from my ebay page - http://www.ebay.com/itm/181180286705

v3-pitch-control-lever-for-dji-phantom_preview_featured.jpg

v3-pitch-control-lever-for-dji-phantom1_preview_featured.jpg

v3-pitch-control-lever-for-dji-phantom2_preview_featured.jpg

v3-pitch-control-lever-for-dji-phantom11_preview_featured.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member