12 volt power inverter to charge batteries from my car?

because it makes sense that it's safer(er) to charge batteries in 70*s-80*s air than at 90*s-100*+...
The event I was talking about, the battery wasn't hot when I plugged it in (so it did start charging) but it stopped charging before fully charged because it did get hot enough for the safety to kick in IE un-safe...

Why would it be more safe when the ambient temp is lower? You only mention that the batteries stopped charging because they got hot when the ambient temps were higher. In that they stopped charging did not make them any less safe.

Why would it be more safe when the ambient temp is lower? You only mention that the batteries stopped charging because they got hot when the ambient temps were higher. In that they stopped charging did not make them any less safe.
@KCadby has this right, while LiION tech performs better at elevated temps than many chemistries the operating range for longevity and safety is narrower during charging than for discharge. Elevated temps increase gas production and may lead to swelling and venting, sometimes with very undesirable results. That’s why any reasonable quality have a charging temp cutoff, usually around 50deg C.

@KCadby has this right, while LiION tech performs better at elevated temps than many chemistries the operating range for longevity and safety is narrower during charging than for discharge. Elevated temps increase gas production and may lead to swelling and venting, sometimes with very undesirable results. That’s why any reasonable quality have a charging temp cutoff, usually around 50deg C.

I've never said that was incorrect. It is not what I discussed at all. What I said is that the batteries are not any more safe when charged in a lower ambient air temperature area. More safe is what I'm discussing. It is not any less or more safe as the battery won't every get to the point of being any less safe regardless of the surrounding temp.

So a cool charging battery would be just as safe if a massive hot fire started around it accidentally - I find that hard to believe, there must be some context / parameters after which that is just not true?

Reactions: With The Birds
Here is what I use. Charges batteries & runs my laptop. Has a great fan.
1532104499068.jpg
1532104506234.jpg
1532104509055.jpg

So a cool charging battery would be just as safe if a massive hot fire started around it accidentally - I find that hard to believe, there must be some context / parameters after which that is just not true?

Charging a battery in your car.... you mention a fire being an issue with the charging as it creates heat. So that is your point... a fire in a your car would create an issue with charging a battery.

What my point has been is since batteries can't be charged when they are too hot, ambient temps don't make the battery any less safe. What happens is the battery.... stops charging. That is what happens. The battery won't charge, I've never disagreed with that, but it is not less safe (as it simply stops charging).

Sheeeeesh, some of you guys are getting way too technical on the intricate workings of an inverter..
Don't get me wrong I appreciate all the info but really just wanted to know what you guys are using and what's working.

Here's what I ordered going to receive it tomorrow..
PowerBright
4.1 out of 5 stars 201Reviews
Power Bright PW1100-12 Power Inverter 1100 Watt 12 Volt DC To 110 Volt AC
Amazon'sChoicefor "power bright inverter"

That'll do. Forget what i said about 12ga wire.
going to put the inverter in the trunk probably run 4 gauge wire from the battery to the trunk. but I will run as short of a ground wire to the frame of the car as I can. Good solid ground is very important.

I've never said that was incorrect. It is not what I discussed at all. What I said is that the batteries are not any more safe when charged in a lower ambient air temperature area. More safe is what I'm discussing. It is not any less or more safe as the battery won't every get to the point of being any less safe regardless of the surrounding temp.
It seemsd like you missed the point- being charging at lower temperatures is safer, or to look at it another way charging at higher temps presents an elevated risk of the pack failing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
You already just might know this But : Always put the fuse in the wire where its connected close to the the battery....that way Any short circuit after the fuse will Blow The Fuse !
Good point also going to put a disconnector inline between the battery in the fuse when I'm not using the inverter.

Good point also going to put a disconnector inline between the battery in the fuse when I'm not using the inverter.
A polarized 3 prong common male and female connector is cheep and will carry the amps quite well.....available at your local hardware store !

And what ever method you use......JUST be sure you got plus + to plus+ and minus - to minus -!

Thanks DOC 1500

Last edited:
DOC.....don't forget.......Them Drone batterys don't like to be hot when charged.....I can Only Imagine how hot they could get in the trunk !
They get a little warm on charger !
its sure something to Think About for sure .

It seemsd like you missed the point- being charging at lower temperatures is safer, or to look at it another way charging at higher temps presents an elevated risk of the pack failing.

I've not missed anything. I don't know the temp but let us just say that it is not good to charge a DJI battery when it is 100F. You car is 60 and the battery is 80F, it will charge just fine and it is safe. The car is 120F and the battery is 80F, it will charge just fine and it is safe. The car is 140F and the battery is 101F. The battery won't charge and it is safe. Since the battery _will not charge_ when it is hot enough to cause it damage, it is safe around any ambient temperature. It is not any safer or better to charge a battery that is cooler as long as it is not hot enough to cause it damage. As the smart batteries won't charge when they get to that point, it is never less safe to charge in higher ambient temperatures.

Hi guys I used to fit inverters as part of my job when I was an auto electrician the only inverter that I would recommend would be a pure sine wave and not a modified sine wave to avoid any chances of damage to any equipment you use. I know of several people that have used a modified sine wave inverter and was fine for a while but eventually killed the charger on several things like electric drills, some laptop computers, chargers for cordless tools, anything with a thyristor in it. You sometimes can tell if there's going to an issue I can remember plugin in a Motorola hand held radio charging bank into a modified sine wave inverter and I could here a funny hum, crackling noise I think after a month of so the charger stopped working, also we had to modify a lot of the Florescent lighting that were fitted into vans or it would kill the modified sine wave inverter by blowing the Mosfets in them I guess all stuff led now so not an issue... so we went to pure sine wave inverters and never had an more problems here's a nice link to get more info definitely worth a quick read :
Pure Sine Wave vs. Modified Sine Wave Inverters- What's the Difference?
what ever you do if fitting an inverter use a thick heavy duty cable live fused as close to the battery as you can preferably have an isolation switch inline on live side and a decent fuse and fuse holder like the
Scosche X2WFH single ANL Fuse holder and an ANL Fuse of the correct rating you need hope this helps
regards
Ricky

Does one need to buy a pure sine wave inverter if only used with drone chargers, or is it enough with a modified sine wave inverter?
They said on an Ask Drone U podcast that you need to buy a "Full Sine" inverter. Others will shorten the life of the battery. Can anyone expand on why a partial sine wave inverter would hurt a battery. Oops. I did not see Post #39 before asking this question. Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor