107 pilots, will you start flying your recreational flights that way as well?

Whose rules will you choose to use?

• Part 101, recreation only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Part 107, recreation and/or commercial

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Once you're a licensed Remote Pilot you have the option of flying for fun under either Part 101 rules (the old Section 336 "I'm just out filming a sunset with my P4") or flying for fun but using the Part 107 rules... which I suppose you might be doing if you were shooting something you might like to sell to someone later, or monetize on YouTube, or just to stay in practice with the rules. How do you plan to do most of your recreation flying now?

IIRC you have to finish a flight under the same set of rules as you started it, so you technically can't start flying for fun and then switch to a paying job, and vice versa.

IIRC you have to finish a flight under the same set of rules as you started it, so you technically can't start flying for fun and then switch to a paying job, and vice versa.

That's correct. You determine your flight intentions and the associated set of rules prior to each flight and continue with those until the flight is completed. For most of us it's pretty much a WASH because as noted above many of the rules are the same.But . . . . let's say you're flying within 5 miles of an airport recreationally. You've contacted the tower and notified them of your flight details and that you're flying recreationally. During this flight someone approaches you and says, "Hey I'd like you to fly over there and take pictures of that house for me because it's mine and I am going to list it this week with a Realtor." At that point you're unable to "technically" do it because under Part 107 you have to get Airspace Authorization (of course this depends on exactly which airspace you're in...) to even be in the air in "that" airspace.

Really for the most part the rules are so similar (and in many ways common sense) that it wouldn't be hard to follow one set or the other. For me I follow whichever rule is stricter regardless of how I'm flying.

Reactions: Falcon900

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31