Yuneec Typhoon H pro vs phantom 4/pro

Reaction score
Can someone tell me why I shouldn't consider getting the above Yuneec with the big discount currently at best buy (1400). What are some, if any big cons vs the phantom 4 or 4 pro

I saw range was only about a mile but I just so commercial real estate or line of sight flying. I've always had DJIs but have never looked much into the yuneec. Try not to be too biased ;)

Sent from my LG-H918 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't consider getting the above Yuneec with the big discount currently at best buy (1400). What are some, if any big cons vs the phantom 4 or 4 pro

I saw range was only about a mile but I just so commercial real estate or line of sight flying. I've always had DJIs but have never looked much into the yuneec. Try not to be too biased ;)

well for one the camera is not as good, not even close. Also the resell value of the Yuneec is way lower than the Phantom 4 Pro. It takes up more space and the shape is awkward if you are trying to pack it around on a hike or whatever. The video transmission quality is not as good as the Phantom's. The customer service is not up to par with DJI's customer service. The Phantom 4 and P4P have dual IMU and Dual compasses. I could probably think of several more things but I think my list is sufficient to sway anyone away from the Yuneec.

Reactions: coullit and cr6
I've owned a Yuneec Q500+. It's got the built in monitor like the H. I can tell you there is no comparison in the sophistication of the DJI software versus Yuneec. DJI's is so much better giving you control and options that Yuneec hasn't even thought off. This contest isn't even a contest anymore. Here's a list of the advantages of a P4P.

1. Camera sensor is 1" instead of 1/2", 4 times the surface area!
2. Much better ISO, aperture control (not available on any other drone in the price category)
3. 2-3mil range, the H will absolutely never get a mile reliably, maybe 2500' because is uses old school Wifi technology
4. Lightbridge video communications on P4P, blows away Wifi technology, faster to get in the air, faster to reconnect, less pixelation, less latency.
5. Speed. 40+mph to get to the shoot fast.
6. 360 degree collision avoidance in tripod mode (very slow moving for buttery smooth captures)
7. Smart battery. You can determine which batteries are charged with a push of a button. Not available the H
8. Litchi and Autopilot software, incredible autonomous flight software not available with H. These include follow me methods without the RC.
9. Resolution of 20mp for stills, 12mp for H
10. 4K video at 60fps, not possible with H
11. Easy to backpack and carry on planes, not so with H
12. Active track, follows objects by image recognition, not available with H
13. Simpler and quicker to arrive, launch and fly versus the H.
14. Option for super bright daylight readable displays (1000nit), not available with H.

Advantages of H
1. Can fly with one failed motor, however I haven't had a motor fail yet in the 6 drones I've owned. This doesn't seem to be a problem
2. Quieter (I like this)
3. Comes with a wand that fits in your pocket to "follow me", instead needing to follow the RC.
4. The TV Remote sized wand will also control the drone, but that is a joke because there's no display to see anything. That's no fun.

The best reason to buy the P4P, is if you bought the H and later flew the P4P, you'd be sorry, simply because the performance difference. Why do you think the H is on sale?

Last edited:
well for one the camera is not as good, not even close. Also the resell value of the Yuneec is way lower than the Phantom 4 Pro. It takes up more space and the shape is awkward if you are trying to pack it around on a hike or whatever. The video transmission quality is not as good as the Phantom's. The customer service is not up to par with DJI's customer service. The Phantom 4 and P4P have dual IMU and Dual compasses. I could probably think of several more things but I think my list is sufficient to sway anyone away from the Yuneec.
I agree mostly and appreciate the feedback but you lost me at the customer service of DJI. It literally can't get any worse. Maybe just equally as bad.

I've owned a Yuneec Q500+. It's got the built in monitor like the H. I can tell you there is no comparison in the sophistication of the DJI software versus Yuneec. DJI's is so much better giving you control and options that Yuneec hasn't even thought off. This contest isn't even a contest anymore. Here's a list of the advantages of a P4P.

1. Camera sensor is 1" instead of 1/2", 4 times the surface area!
2. Much better ISO, aperture control (not available on any other drone in the price category)
3. 2-3mil range, the H will absolutely never get a mile reliably, maybe 2500' because is uses old school Wifi technology
4. Lightbridge video communications on P4P, blows away Wifi technology, faster to get in the air, faster to reconnect, less pixelation, less latency.
5. Speed. 40+mph to get to the shoot fast.
6. 360 degree collision avoidance in tripod mode (very slow moving for buttery smooth captures)
7. Smart battery. You can determine which batteries are charged with a push of a button. Not available the H
8. Litchi and Autopilot software, incredible autonomous flight software not available with H. These include follow me methods without the RC.
9. Resolution of 20mp for stills, 12mp for H
10. 4K video at 60fps, not possible with H
11. Easy to backpack and carry on planes, not so with H
12. Active track, follows objects by image recognition, not available with H
13. Simpler and quicker to arrive, launch and fly versus the H.
14. Option for super bright daylight readable displays (1000nit), not available with H.

Advantages of H
1. Can fly with one failed motor, however I haven't had a motor fail yet in the 6 drones I've owned. This doesn't seem to be a problem
2. Quieter (I like this)
3. Comes with a wand that fits in your pocket to "follow me", instead needing to follow the RC.
4. The TV Remote sized wand will also control the drone, but that is a joke because there's no display to see anything. That's no fun.

The best reason to buy the P4P, is if you bought the H and later flew the P4P, you'd be sorry, simply because the performance difference. Why do you think the H is on sale?
OK I'm talked out of it. It was a flashy, available and on sale option. Plus the 360 camera seemed cool. Now if best buy would ever get the P4P I could use my credit and order it

I agree mostly and appreciate the feedback but you lost me at the customer service of DJI. It literally can't get any worse. Maybe just equally as bad.

When I had my Yuneec Q500+ I got great customer service. I had a gimbal problem when my Q500+ arrived (March 2015). I called my dealer on a Sunday to explain. Yuneec called me the next day on Monday, I had a new Gimbal and camera Thursday with an advanced replacement exchange. Good response! However I've heard that has dwindled since. On the flipside, I originally didn't buy a Phantom 3P because of numerous reports of terrible customer service DJI was giving their customers (March 2015). Fortunately DJI has since stepped up their game with customer service, invested heavily in the US and today most turn-arounds are 1wk, or 2wks max. There's still room for improvement though, it could be better. My only experience was a 9 day turn around, and they exchanged my craft to resolve the problem with a brand new unit.

I agree. DJI customer service, on a whole, is major shite! Granted, they may not be as bad during those times when they don't have three new devices just released, but IMO it's only going to get worse as more and more people realize their first and/or second choice of "prosumer" drone simply can't compete with a comparably priced/spec'd DJI product.

S5 tap'n

I'm on the yuneec sister forum just as much as this because I was thinking about getting the H. Yuneec customer service is considerably better than DJI from what I'm gathering. However, I've never had to contact DJI CS. Many of the guys who own the H have had multiple issues. Seems like firmware updates brick Hs and over numerous glitches that many owners have accepted in order to fly, otherwise they'd be out of a drone, if they send it back. Yuneec seems to be following the path of 3DR

I just purchased Litchi this last weekend, and I flew my first of 3 missions today. I never thought I would use Litchi since I liked long distance flying, but I'm having a great time figuring it out. If you get the toyish H, you will not be able to use 3rd party apps like Litchi. Future generations may allow this, but AFAIK, it is still just their proprietary app.

I'm not knocking the 360 deg camera and retractable landing gear, but I don't see how the 360 deg camera would benefit me in any way. Also, the sophistication of DJI products is about night and day different.

Since this is a Phantom forum, you are not going to get fair and unbiased opinions about the Typhoon H. Most folks here have never owned or flown one. As I see it, there are advantages and disadvantages depending on your needs. If cost is a concern, then the H would do the job for less money. It is available for $999 with hardshell case. If you are not worried about the money and want the latest technology, then the P4 Pro would be a good choice.
Advantages for Typhoon H vs P4
1. 6 rotors for redundancy, will fly with 5
2. Retractable landing gear
3. 360 degree rotating camera
4. Built in tablet/screen. No worries about compatibility or charging a separate device.
5. Removable camera/gimbal, may be upgraded
6. Built in flight modes that do not require 3rd party apps which could void warranty
7. Second controller (Wizard) included and it is waterproof
8. HDMI out from controller
9. Batteries are less expensive and not restricted with internal chip
10. Dynamic altitude in follow modes
11. Better Curved Cable Cam
12. Charger includes 12v car adapter
14. Sun shield included
15. Neck strap included
16. Obstacle avoidance works in the direction the aircraft is moving, not restricted to camera direction
17. Smooth, hands free camera yaw
18. Cruise control for smooth, hands free panning
19. Looks more professional
20. Customer service is superb
21. Very quiet
22. Props do not show up in video
23. Excellent performance in wind

Contrary to what others have said, the Typhoon H will fit in luggage that can be stored in overhead bins on aircraft but not in the hardshell case and big foam block that it is shipped with. When using the Wizard wand, you can view the video through any WiFi equipped phone or tablet and of course you can view it through the St16 controller. The camera is on par with the P4 but not the new P4 pro. The gimbal is excellent and does not exhibit the tilted horizon problem that has plagued many Phantoms.

The P4 Pro is a next generation drone that leapfrogs over the competition with lots of new features. The most notable are the new camera and high brightness display screen. Glad to see that DJI has finally provided a dedicated display. Improvements in obstacle avoidance and flight time are also welcome.

The Typhoon H and P4 are yesterday's models. If you are buying for business purposes, then get the best you can afford.

Since this is a Phantom forum, you are not going to get fair and unbiased opinions about the Typhoon H. Most folks here have never owned or flown one. As I see it, there are advantages and disadvantages depending on your needs. If cost is a concern, then the H would do the job for less money. It is available for $999 with hardshell case. If you are not worried about the money and want the latest technology, then the P4 Pro would be a good choice.
Advantages for Typhoon H vs P4
1. 6 rotors for redundancy, will fly with 5
2. Retractable landing gear
3. 360 degree rotating camera
4. Built in tablet/screen. No worries about compatibility or charging a separate device.
5. Removable camera/gimbal, may be upgraded
6. Built in flight modes that do not require 3rd party apps which could void warranty
7. Second controller (Wizard) included and it is waterproof
8. HDMI out from controller
9. Batteries are less expensive and not restricted with internal chip
10. Dynamic altitude in follow modes
11. Better Curved Cable Cam
12. Charger includes 12v car adapter
14. Sun shield included
15. Neck strap included
16. Obstacle avoidance works in the direction the aircraft is moving, not restricted to camera direction
17. Smooth, hands free camera yaw
18. Cruise control for smooth, hands free panning
19. Looks more professional
20. Customer service is superb
21. Very quiet
22. Props do not show up in video
23. Excellent performance in wind

Contrary to what others have said, the Typhoon H will fit in luggage that can be stored in overhead bins on aircraft but not in the hardshell case and big foam block that it is shipped with. When using the Wizard wand, you can view the video through any WiFi equipped phone or tablet and of course you can view it through the St16 controller. The camera is on par with the P4 but not the new P4 pro. The gimbal is excellent and does not exhibit the tilted horizon problem that has plagued many Phantoms.

The P4 Pro is a next generation drone that leapfrogs over the competition with lots of new features. The most notable are the new camera and high brightness display screen. Glad to see that DJI has finally provided a dedicated display. Improvements in obstacle avoidance and flight time are also welcome.

The Typhoon H and P4 are yesterday's models. If you are buying for business purposes, then get the best you can afford.

This information is great and thanks for your time in getting it together. Just curious if this would still hold true to the Thypoon H pro? As I understand it, it just has better obstacle avoidance but everything else is pretty much the same. Its about $1400 at best buy which is where i prefer to make my purchase and with right around that budget.

This information is great and thanks for your time in getting it together. Just curious if this would still hold true to the Thypoon H pro? As I understand it, it just has better obstacle avoidance but everything else is pretty much the same. Its about $1400 at best buy which is where i prefer to make my purchase and with right around that budget.
The only difference with the Pro is the Realsense module. You can actually buy it now for $299 and install it yourself which would be cheaper. The Pro model did also have an updated controller which has the third antenna mounted outside. The Pro model will have a bit less flight time due to the added weight and power needed for the Realsense module.
I am not trying to sell the Typhoon H here. If I had to choose starting today, I would likely go with the P4 Pro. If Yuneec releases a better camera which fits the Typhoon H, that would be great for those who own one.
Got to love the competition. Keeps the prices down and forces the makers to add features and improve service. These multirotors have advanced so rapidly since I got my first Phantom in 2013, It is hard to imagine what they will be like in another few years.
Good luck, whatever you choose.

Here is a great comparison video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here is a great comparison video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With all due respect, this video is very biased. Tom is known to produce favorable DJI reviews so I wouldn't use this as an unbiased review.
The H on paper is a very attractive playform, however, being on the Yuneec forum almost daily, I've come to realize that the H is very prone to all kinds of issues/glitches which keep people from flying. That's my concern with the H - not that it doesn't have a lot of nice features, but that it is prone to having issues for which it has to be sent in multiple times.

With all due respect, this video is very biased. Tom is known to produce favorable DJI reviews so I wouldn't use this as an unbiased review.
The H on paper is a very attractive playform, however, being on the Yuneec forum almost daily, I've come to realize that the H is very prone to all kinds of issues/glitches which keep people from flying. That's my concern with the H - not that it doesn't have a lot of nice features, but that it is prone to having issues for which it has to be sent in multiple times.
Im confused. One minute you say that the video is biased and then you basically agree with the overall summary of the video. lol

Go to the Yuneec forum and you will answer that question. I am very glad I when with the P4.

When using the Wizard wand, you can view the video through any WiFi equipped phone or tablet and of course you can view it through the St16 controller.

Can you estimate how far away can a phone received video from the H when using the Wand? I heard it was around 200', but haven't seen that work yet.

Viewing through the ST16 is news to me, very interesting. I was told you couldn't have the ST16 turned on when using the wand, because Wifi cannot talk to two controllers at the same time. Has that been fixed? Or was I misinformed?

I did some research before buying my P3A. The Yuneec H does have one advantage and that is the extra motors in the event of a failure but motor failure on Phantoms is a rare occurrence.

I don't see the built-in screen as a benefit as tablets and phones can offer not only larger displays but better quality, brighter displays.

DJI's software is simply better and add Litchi into the mix and there is no comparing.

I was drawn to the Typhoon H because of it's style but at the end of the day DJI has a better product across the board.

Can you estimate how far away can a phone received video from the H when using the Wand? I heard it was around 200', but haven't seen that work yet.

Viewing through the ST16 is news to me, very interesting. I was told you couldn't have the ST16 turned on when using the wand, because Wifi cannot talk to two controllers at the same time. Has that been fixed? Or was I misinformed?
Can't answer your first question. The only times I have used the phone was with the H following me so it never was that far away.
You were misinformed. You just set team mode and you can control the H with the wizard and control the camera and view video with the ST16 controller.

So after the all useful info from this post, the videos above and others including sample videos from each I ended up going with the P4P. B&H Photo had some in stock and promised free delivery for tomorrow. We'll see if it happens.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31