You can get close when your drone has a wetsuit.

Why are you talking about rain, when the video the OP shared was about flying through saltwater waves, which is what I was addressing. I have flown in light rain, and experienced exactly what I described: the water drops dry on the lens filter and create soft spots in the middle of the video. Salt spray is very corrosive, and your wetsuit does nothing to protect the gimbal and camera. I wish you well in rinsing off your salt water submerged drone, after drowning in the surf, while you dive into the surf with a mask and snorkel looking for it, hoping to find it, with waves smashing you into the rocks you just flew over! Encouraging flying through salt water waves because a wetsuit is on the drone is just foolish, but it might sell a few wetsuits to those that don't understand the purpose of your rain wetsuit, which is supposedly designed to allow you to fly home in freshwater rain, where total submersion is not in play, unlike flying through the surf at the beach!

The conversation of Rain drops was for Andy and I edited the post to make it more relevant to his post..

You should take a step back as the OP is a client and a friend and his post was likely to be fun not to be taken so literally .

I posted the first testing video of the phantom for him on his thread, thinking he might enjoy it.

You wont have to worry about him needing a snorkel as more than likely Im going to send him a
Phantom Rain Rescue jacket for free.

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 6.28.21 PM.png

Let it be said we do treat our clients well.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
I fly over water a lot and the wetsuit has made me a lot more confident in getting closer. I have excellent insurance cover and use DJI Care both of which have been amazing for me.
I would not fly without a wetsuit again and am saving to get one for my Mavic2Z.
I know at the very least I can get my drone back. I now have no fear of flying with the possibility of rain.
It does not seem to impact flight or heat issues.
To me, it’s a no brainer.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Having flown low over surf for the last four years with various DJI aircraft and never having gotten wet or needed a wetsuit, this is overkill, and just a glorified commercial for an unneeded accessory. It's designed for rain, not surfing, but if you believe it makes you more confident, it does! It's called the placebo effect. ;)

Having flown low over surf for the last four years with various DJI aircraft and never having gotten wet or needed a wetsuit, this is overkill, and just a glorified commercial for an unneeded accessory. It's designed for rain, not surfing, but if you believe it makes you more confident, it does! It's called the placebo effect. ;)

Over kIll is what Good Piloting is all about ;)

Over kIll is what Good Piloting is all about ;)
Over kill is preying upon paranoia and irrational fears to sell a rain wetsuit for flying low over surf and salt water, which offers no benefit, unless you fly so low that you get the actually do get the drone wet with salt water, where it still will not protect the gimbal and camera. Encouraging flying low enough to get the drone wet to get any benefit from the rain wetsuit only increases the risk of total submersion of the drone in salt water, which will still ruin the drone. Bad idea all around, but probably good for your sales anyway. ;)

If I go in the rain I'm going to put a wetsuit on so I don't get wet.
It suits me just fine.?
That makes complete sense. However, I've never been able to capture much usable footage in the rain, where the rain on the lens filter obscures the vision, much like driving your car in the rain without windshield wipers, where visibility is obscured, even though the speed of the car blows the rain off the windshield. Until the wetsuit comes with a windshield wiper, I don't see a benefit for drone cinematography. YMMV. ;)

I did this with a Mavic Air because it is so fast to respond and shoot up from a wave. No way would I try it with a Phantom. But I might try it with a Phantom with a wetsuit. Thing is with waterfalls and waves splashes happen from all directions and fast. So the more protection you have the better. As long as you are not endangering any person or their property and you have insurance. Dam good fun and you can get some great footage. We are here to learn from each other so I hope the thread is giving pilots a choice in a friendly environment.
Placebo or reality I am having a lot more fun with my sheath.
Fly safe and have fun.

I hope I did not use the wrong word.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I did this with a Mavic Air because it is so fast to respond and shoot up from a wave. No way would I try it with a Phantom. But I might try it with a Phantom with a wetsuit. Thing is with waterfalls and waves splashes happen from all directions and fast. So the more protection you have the better. As long as you are not endangering any person or their property and you have insurance. Dam good fun and you can get some great footage. We are here to learn from each other so I hope the thread is giving pilots a choice in a friendly environment.
Placebo or reality I am having a lot more fun with my sheath.
Fly safe and have fun.

I hope I did not use the wrong word.

Insurance is the operative word. No risk no reward. It's just a tool, and sometimes you have to take risks with the tool to get good footage. If you aren't prepared to lose a drone to get great footage, you shouldn't be flying one in the first place. With the Mavic 2 Zoom, you can now appear as though you are flying inches above the water while actually being safely above it. Because of the wide angle lenses, objects appear closer than they actually are at the edges of the frame. Fun is the name of the game, and I fully support whatever enables that for you! Shiny side up and rubber down! Props up and struts down! Fly on!

Reactions: John Gowland
Insurance is the operative word. No risk no reward. It's just a tool, and sometimes you have to take risks with the tool to get good footage. If you aren't prepared to lose a drone to get great footage, you shouldn't be flying one in the first place. With the Mavic 2 Zoom, you can now appear as though you are flying inches above the water while actually being safely above it. Because of the wide angle lenses, objects appear closer than they actually are at the edges of the frame. Fun is the name of the game, and I fully support whatever enables that for you! Shiny side up and rubber down! Props up and struts down! Fly on!
I have done the very same thing with the Mavic 2 zoom I'll dig it out.
it's one of the reasons I got it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4