Yellowstone NP cracking down on Illegal drone use....

The critical words are operating from or on lands and waters. If your not standing on NP grounds you are not operating "from or on" NP land, you're operating from or on the ground you happen to be standing on.

Agreed. Maybe I misunderstood your post:

Operating in my mind would mean you can launch the aircraft from outside the NP and then come into the part and operate it from within the park.

I thought that you meant launch from outside the park and then enter the park yourself to continue controlling the aircraft.

Agreed. Maybe I misunderstood your post:

I thought that you meant launch from outside the park and then enter the park yourself to continue controlling the aircraft.

That last part was not clear and I apologize for any confusion. What I meant to convey was you have to launch, land and control the aircraft from outside the NP. There is nothing in their regulation that says you can't fly over NP land. They are very careful in the wording of their regulation not to claim control of the airspace over the NP. Their authority is "ON" the ground or water in the NP not the airspace above it. If you launching, landing and controlling the aircraft from outside NP land I don't see it as a violation. That advise plus something like $15 gets you across the George Washington Bridge.

Reactions: sar104
That last part was not clear and I apologize for any confusion. What I meant to convey was you have to launch, land and control the aircraft from outside the NP. There is nothing in their regulation that says you can't fly over NP land. They are very careful in the wording of their regulation not to claim control of the airspace over the NP. Their authority is "ON" the ground or water in the NP not the airspace above it. If you launching, landing and controlling the aircraft from outside NP land I don't see it as a violation. That advise plus something like $15 gets you across the George Washington Bridge.

Correct in that you launch, operate, and land NOT on NPS land. You can fly over NPS just not from NPS land.

Reactions: sar104
Correct in that you launch, operate, and land NOT on NPS land. You can fly over NPS just not from NPS land.
Completely consistent with all other similar interpretations, where local authorities can prohibit launching from, or landing on their property, but have no other legal authority to prohibit flying in the airspace above such property, as that is National Airspace solely controlled by the FAA. Yet another reason for VLOS restrictions, which severely limit the practical distance you can fly into their airspace from launch sites located outside the property boundaries they control.

Completely consistent with all other similar interpretations, where local authorities can prohibit launching from, or landing on their property, but have no other legal authority to prohibit flying in the airspace above such property, as that is National Airspace solely controlled by the FAA. Yet another reason for VLOS restrictions, which severely limit the practical distance you can fly into their airspace from launch sites located outside the property boundaries they control.
One thing to keep in mind if you're attempting this, often times the park boundaries extend well beyond the gate, parking lot, etc..$1000 fine and/or 6 months in prison, PLUS they can confiscate your equipment. Know what you're doing and where the park boundaries end and begin.

If you truly want to fly in a national park, you can apply for a special use permit. I'm not saying it's an easy process, but if it's something you really want to do, it is possible.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl