Yellowstone NP cracking down on Illegal drone use....

Interesting that there are still adults out there that have no gray matter ability to determine what is right or wrong. (legal or illegal just doesn’t seem to be the correct wording)
I’ll say it again.
“Can’t fix stuped” (and yes, I know it’s misspelled)

After five years that this “law” has been in place, many of us are still looking for a rational reason for it. That is the real issue and why so many people have a problem with it.

It certainly does appear to be an issue. Not an issue with the law though.

After five years that this “law” has been in place, many of us are still looking for a rational reason for it. That is the real issue and why so many people have a problem with it.

It is actually a "law" eanbled by these codes and others: 5 USC 551 et seq., 42 USC 4321 through 4370d, title VIII of PL 106-181. And the interview in the news story states the most common rationale -- that visitors should be able to have drone-free experience in the National Parks.

Why is that important?

Because many of us go to the park to enjoy NATURE and get away from technology. I leave my cell phone, iPad, iPod and other goodies in the car for a reason. Leave your drone at home.....

Because many of us go to the park to enjoy NATURE and get away from technology. I leave my cell phone, iPad, iPod and other goodies in the car for a reason. Leave your drone at home.....
That’s your choice (and I can’t help but notice that you didn’t leave your car at home). Please don’t force your choices on others.... or are you now going to advocate that I shouldn’t be able to use my cell phone while visiting a national park?

ETA: speaking of cell phones, maybe they should be banned. Look at the number of people who are actually DYING in national parks by recklessly going for that perfect Instagram selfie. Hmmmm, I think y’all are on to something here.

Last edited:
That’s your choice (and I can’t help but notice that you didn’t leave your car at home). Please don’t force your choices on others.... or are you now going to advocate that I shouldn’t be able to use my cell phone while visiting a national park?

Why MUST you fly where nature is protected and endorsed? It's a right not a privilege.

I do leave my car in the PARKING LOT and don't drive it into the nature area.

Does your cell phone buzz around and annoy visitors? If so I would be quick to ask you to silence it.

Why MUST you fly where nature is protected and endorsed? It's a right not a privilege.

I do leave my car in the PARKING LOT and don't drive it into the nature area.

Does your cell phone buzz around and annoy visitors? If so I would be quick to ask you to silence it.
OK, I’ve got it now. The standard is does it bother BigAl07? If it does, ban it.
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

OK, I’ve got it now. The standard is does it bother BigAl07? If it does, ban it.
Thanks for clearing that up for us.

LOL

Yes I make all the rules and laws. Thanks for the recognition.

Laws and 'rules' such as this are made to compensate for the worst cases, which generally are very stupid, inconsiderate and oblivious people, of which there are way too many. Stupidity is a rampant epidemic that is validated by today's political environment. I'll guess that most participants on this forum are generally somewhat intelligent and responsible drone operators. Unfortunately, as in every endeavor, the idiots and assholes must be reigned in by laws that, sadly, everyone must abide by. A horrible example is the no drone rule in the Glen Canyon National Recreation Area, a large swath of southern Utah with spectacular scenery. 95% of it is remote lands, with hardly any roads or people. But because Lake Powell is contained within and is a popular place to visit and vacation, the entire rec area is no drone. Terrible shame for those of us seeking grand landscape flying opportunities where drone use would not create any problems for anyone.

Someone here stated that visitors should have a drone free experience. Really? Why would drones be considered annoying when endless families of screaming children, beer swilling partying youth blasting loud music and laughing and yelling at all hours, car and truck engines running and driving around campgrounds all day and night, and barbecues and campfires spewing smoke and stink in my face are not considered a nuisance? I generally have not been able to stay peacefully in a campground for over thirty years. It's not the laws that originate the restrictions, it is the stupid and ignorant.

Last edited:
Why would drones be considered annoying when endless families of screaming children, beer swilling partying youth blasting loud music and laughing and yelling at all hours, car and truck engines running and driving around campgrounds all day and night, and barbecues and campfires spewing smoke and stink in my face are not considered a nuisance? I generally have not been able to stay peacefully in a campground for over thirty years. It's not the laws that originate the restrictions, it is the stupid and ignorant.

Perhaps because those nuisances don't tend to stray more than a few yards from the campground. The concern over drones is both their nuisance value to wildlife away from developed areas and their safety issues over congested areas.

Why is that important?

It is important for the same reason that some city parks don't allow dogs off-leash, and some do. No matter whether you love dogs or are disgusted by dogs or are somewhere in the middle, everybody gets some space but nobody gets all the space. I know it's hard to believe, but there are a significant number of people who object to drones buzzing around them on their nature vacation. This is a place for that POV, just as there are places for contrasting POVs. Without compromise between competing views, we don't have civilization.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl