Yaw Mod

terrylowe said:
I was out getting some storm damage footage today when I decided to do a quick yaw test.
This video shows the non-modded yaw and the modded yaw. There is a big difference between the two.

There is also a difference in the speed in the modded left yaw and right yaw. Not sure why this is. My resistors matched when I tested them. It won't be a problem for video work, but was curious as to why this happens.

http://photos.terrylowe.com/Quad-Videos/n-dWc6M/i-q2PhDGb
Nice. I did mine but I got 22 degrees and a day of white crap(snow) that came down today. Still can't test mine.
How about the storm video?

Happyflyer said:
Nice. I did mine but I got 22 degrees and a day of white crap(snow) that came down today. Still can't test mine.
How about the storm video?

Ugggh! Sorry about the snow. 50 degrees here.

The storm damage was actually tornado damage in a very nearby community.....
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO3lGmt5KK8[/youtube]

After looking at that video, I am happy I have the cold and snow.......

Did mine yesterday. re calibrated sticks, all works well except when i switch it on. it slowly yaws to the left with no stick input. i can also see it in rc assistant when i switch from off to on. the indicator will move off of center. I checked all the tolerances of the resistors to make sure they were the same. not sure how to fix. i will dig into it a little deeper.

HUm that does seem weird. I would think even if the resistors are not perfectly matched and out of tolerance that it would just make it yaw one direction faster then the other. But not when you are not touching the stick. Tho I could be wrong. But I have seen some do the yaw switch with an adjustable resistor on line with the regular resistor to be able to change the value of the resistance on each side. Tho maybe that could also be to get them both matched more closer together. Id check the resitance on each side again and make sure they are nuts on close. and if so Id start checking the switch you used and maybe one leg of the switch has more resistance then the other.

terrylowe said:
There is also a difference in the speed in the modded left yaw and right yaw. Not sure why this is. My resistors matched when I tested them. It won't be a problem for video work, but was curious as to why this happens.

It shouldn't.
What values exactly, were your resistors?

Did you check the resistance once you had soldered the wires to the switch by measuring each wire pair ?

Might you have a solder short across one resistor ?

I'd be looking for a short too. I would think if the switch itself had a defect you couldn't calibrate the tranny.

idea? did you calibrate the tranny with the yaw mod switched on with the tranny stick at centre when you finished?? I would think that's how it should be done so it sets centre/zero movement with the resistors in the circuit???

The Editor said:
Sorry - just read this thread.

Is it just me or does anybody else find this mod totally pointless?

Yes, you could do the mod or..... you can just put in stick time and learn to fly properly! :roll:

For those that like to tinker like this, I guess it offers them a challenge...I prefer just buying a programmable radio controller, has the ability to do this much better along with so many, many, many other tricks to help one fly and film more effectively. You can tweek the radio from the outside all you want...no soldering, wiring etc. Of course, nothing beats just learning to fly better as well. :eek:

Did the mod recently and got outside in the SUNSHINE! Wow! Sunshine in Michigan in Winter! Still cold. Full left or right on left stick quad spins so fast a total blur. Flip switch and left turn with full stick takes 10 seconds around. Right turn takes 7 seconds. My resistors are 9,989 and 9,994. I don't see why that little difference should account for a three second difference in rotation. Anyway, it works nice. Will help for s-l-o-w pan. MUCH easier than micro movement of a f-a-s-t stick.
Now if I could only get winter to end...... :(

When taking such a tiny bit of currant on the wire a tiny bit less resistance can make a big difference.

If you want to get it closer matched you can add on of them tiny trimmer pots with the tiny screws on them and dial in the one thats got less resistance to match the other side. Or you can go threw a few resisters and find 2 that perfectly match and replace them or one that matchs one of the 2 you have and replace it.

I wil ask again on this thread, is there any reason why the common wire can't be modified with a single pole switch and one resistor instead of doubling up on the two wires with a double pole switch and 2 resistors??

J.James said:
When taking such a tiny bit of currant on the wire a tiny bit less resistance can make a big difference.

If you want to get it closer matched you can add on of them tiny trimmer pots with the tiny screws on them and dial in the one thats got less resistance to match the other side. Or you can go threw a few resisters and find 2 that perfectly match and replace them or one that matchs one of the 2 you have and replace it.
OK. But this works good enough. I don't require it 100% purrrrrfect.

thisisnotmyrealname said:
What programable transmitter can you buy for the Phantom...?

im not sure any are available for 5.8ghz control of the vision and V+, the plain old phantom on 2.4 ghz can have another manufacturer receiver fitted and then another tranny can be used.

locoworks said:
thisisnotmyrealname said:
What programable transmitter can you buy for the Phantom...?

im not sure any are available for 5.8ghz control of the vision and V+, the plain old phantom on 2.4 ghz can have another manufacturer receiver fitted and then another tranny can be used.
Agree, if you have a vision then you are stuck with the 5.8ghz, nothing out there I know of. If you have a non-vision which uses the 2.4ghz, this is more in line with industry standard and there are many choices of add-on radios. Frisky Taranis or one of the Futabas(they have several), most of the progammable radios include the ability to do things like lower the weight on the sticks thus gives a longer and slower throw, set trims and offsets, you can change the expo or set curves on the stick, or you can even along with the rudder stick, put the rudder action on a knob, which is easier to turn slowly than trying to control the rudder stick and not hit the throttle while doing it. You can even program a knob to circle an object. Set knobs to smoothly pitch the camera up and down at 3 different speeds etc. and with a curve, bring it to a slow stop. And many more things to numerous to mention here.

I wil ask again on this thread, is there any reason why the common wire can't be modified with a single pole switch and one resistor instead of doubling up on the two wires with a double pole switch and 2 resistors??

I was wondering the same thing for the yaw speed mod and also for the added pitch speed switch mod.

J.James said:

I was wondering the same thing for the yaw speed mod and also for the added pitch speed switch mod.
That is an interesting thought. Some one that is thinking of doing this mod should try and give us the results.

nelly said:
Mine does the same, twice as fast to the right than left when switched on

Interesting!

I took mine back apart and retested the impedance. There is 1/100 difference between my two resistors. My soldering is clean (for me it was really clean) and no shorts seen.

The difference in speed is not a big issue, but I was throwing it out there to see if there were an easy fix.

I was able to swing it pretty smoothly around a water tower yesterday

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD9FLmlTtNM[/youtube]

Makes a big difference.
Better than my RTH after loss of signal and almost hit the antennas on the tower. :shock:

Happyflyer said:
Better than my RTH after loss of signal and almost hit the antennas on the tower. :shock:

Uhoh! Perfect time for a RTH!! :cry:

As I was flying around the tower, I didn't notice the power sub-station under it until I watched the video. I am guess I am lucky mine didn't fly off to Narnia

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl