Yaw issue with 2 Axis gimbals

Reaction score
I do not have currently a gimbal but I've just ordered a 2 axis one. (probably it is a bad timing to ask this question)

I heard that you need a 3 axis gimbal to solve the issue, but the problem is that I do not know what this is about. Anybody could point out a good video that is showing how this problem is manifesting.

I just want to understand what I should expect with a 2 axis gimbal.

I believe the issue mainly happens when flying in GPS mode. When you are in GPS mode there is a little side to side (yawing) motion of the phantom that isn't corrected by the gimbal. From what I understand, if you fly in ATTI mode, then you don't have this problem. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong about this.

I believe you can see this yawing twitch in my video....look at about 18 seconds and 30 seconds for good examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdKyGc8 ... e=youtu.be

2-axis gimbals do not dampen yaw movement (other than whatever the rubber mounts absorb), so unless you can provide butter-smooth control input every time you yaw, there will be at least some noticeable jerkiness in the motion of the vid at those times. Usually it's most visible at the start and stop of the yaw movement, but the whole pan can be affected.

Flying in Atti vs GPS mode does mean the NAZA won't be adding as much control input with no regards for the smoothness of your vids, but you will still usually see the effects just from the normal aerodynamic reactions to your control input. A 3-axis gimbal slows and smooths the panning (yaw) motion of the camera to significantly reduce or eliminate that.

Note: yaw movement that is induced while the Phantom is already moving forward is less susceptible to this issue, but if you're just hovering or moving forward slowly, it's extremely difficult to avoid without a 3rd axis on the gimbal.

Colombus said:
I do not have currently a gimbal but I've just ordered a 2 axis one. (probably it is a bad timing to ask this question)

I heard that you need a 3 axis gimbal to solve the issue, but the problem is that I do not know what this is about. Anybody could point out a good video that is showing how this problem is manifesting.

I just want to understand what I should expect with a 2 axis gimbal.

You'll be ok with the 2-axis gimbal, especially if you can practice flying smoothly.

if the yaw-wobble starts annoying you, look into ways to stabilize it in post.

3-axis gimbals are amazing at reducing the yaw-wobble, but add an extra 100g, thus reducing flight times.
but most people have 2-axis gimbals are ok with it.

What causes that slight vibration that I sometimes see on my flight videos where for example on a distant row of houses the image vibrates slightly up and down fast. Or is that related more to jello? Most obvious when the craft is hanging there or when I am pulling the craft back. Its nowhere as extreme as on some videos posted where the whole image is full of jello wobbles. But it would be nice to iron it out. I film at 1080p 50fps medium mode.

fly-catchers said:
What causes that slight vibration that I sometimes see on my flight videos where for example on a distant row of houses the image vibrates slightly up and down fast. Or is that related more to jello? Most obvious when the craft is hanging there or when I am pulling the craft back. Its nowhere as extreme as on some videos posted where the whole image is full of jello wobbles. But it would be nice to iron it out. I film at 1080p 50fps medium mode.

I believe what you describe is Jello effect. For that focus on balancing propellers/engines and using a rubber plate to minimize it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl