XiaoMi Yi

Reaction score
I am currently using a hitatchi hdsv01u hd camera on a GLB gimbal and am reasonably happy with results. The only problem its point and shoot with no viewfinder so often its pot luck, unless doing longshot/landscapes. I have recently seen the XiaoMI Yi as a much cheaper alternative to a go pro. It has built in wifi and a Sony 16mp sensor. It gets very good write ups. I was wondering if anyone had tried one out, also would there be a interference problem. At around £50 I seriously thinking of taking a punt. Any thoughts?

I checked out GoPro's and Sony HD camera's and then looked at the Mobius camera's.

The Mobius gave both high quality stills and unbelievable beautiful AV.

The Mobius was also the cheapest and lightest of all three cameras making it a very attractive camera for Phantom V1.1.1's that I fly.

Add to that the really excellent support on the Mobius rcgroups threads, made it a no brainer for me. I recently bought a 2nd Mobius and plan on using it for FPV and a cap visor mounted camera to record ground level views of my flights.

Many other types of quads (Warpquads, Knife Quads, Leap Quads) have also successfully used these small but incredibly powerful camera's in all types of flying (i.e. LOS, 3D, etc.) The camera are so feature rich and reliable that they are a steal for money....

I am currently using a hitatchi hdsv01u hd camera on a GLB gimbal and am reasonably happy with results. The only problem its point and shoot with no viewfinder so often its pot luck, unless doing longshot/landscapes. I have recently seen the XiaoMI Yi as a much cheaper alternative to a go pro. It has built in wifi and a Sony 16mp sensor. It gets very good write ups. I was wondering if anyone had tried one out, also would there be a interference problem. At around £50 I seriously thinking of taking a punt. Any thoughts?

If you haven't bought something yet, you might want to check out the SJCAM SJ4000 which can be had for around $100 here and there. This was one of the earlier knockoffs of the Gopro and unfortunately now there are many knockoffs of the SJ4000, some at least which are not as good.

If you want the original, look for one that says SJCAM on it. bhphotovideo.com might be a good place to buy one although they are also on Amazon but so are many, many copies of it.

The pics and video are **** good, it has a lot of features, time lapse, motion detection, image stabilization (to some extent), etc. Pretty happy with mine but now flying a different bird with it's own camera. Also an LCD screen so you can see what you are framing. The attached is not a still, but extracted from a 1080p video. Stills are 12 megapixels.

Should also mention most if not all the GoPro mounts will fit this also but it comes with a ton of them.

Attachments

• 2015-04-18-Rumbley.jpg
    2015-04-18-Rumbley.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 908
Last edited:
Reactions: tonycuk
If you're considering $100 GoPro clones you might wanna check the official gopro_certified factory eBay user ID for refurbished Hero2's. Currently selling for about $115 shipped.

I have the Xiaomi Yi. The video and photo quality is very good. It is slightly larger ion all dimensions than the GoPro 3 so it may not fit all gimbals without modification. From the tests I have seen, the Yi has better image quality than the SJ4000 almost as good as my GoPro 3+ black.
Some of these will need adjustment of the lens to get sharp focus at a distance. It is easy to do. I bought this as a throwaway camera for flying over water.

I have the Xiaomi Yi. The video and photo quality is very good. It is slightly larger ion all dimensions than the GoPro 3 so it may not fit all gimbals without modification. From the tests I have seen, the Yi has better image quality than the SJ4000 almost as good as my GoPro 3+ black.
Some of these will need adjustment of the lens to get sharp focus at a distance. It is easy to do. I bought this as a throwaway camera for flying over water.

The Yi is NOT as good as the Hero 3+ Black...however it is comparable with the Hero 3 Black...the Hero 3+ Black is basically the same camera as the Hero 4 Silver. I have been contemplating getting one of these cheaper knockoffs for the P1 just for peace of mind if I would to lose my quad in some way. However, the the Hero 3+ Black I use now takes much superior video than the Yi. I am all about finding cheaper alternatives to the more expensive brands...and for the AVERAGE person just looking for home videos the Yi & SJ4000 are an amazing value & quality. But if you want the BEST quality video from an action cam then the 3+ Black or the Hero 4 Silver are the way to go. BUT I will say that Xiaomi & the makers of the SJ4000 are game changers. GoPro MUST stay on it's toes if they want to continue to be leaders in the action cam market. Xiaomi is a hungry up & coming company and they did an AMAZING job on their first attempt. GoPro has their work cut out for them on future models...

anybody managed to connect it to H3 2D and FPV?i have P2 standard, xiaomi yi with fpv cable),H3 2D gimbal..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.