Would you fly?

I said 25 knts as in nautical miles per hour, the same reading they use on boats and commercial airplanes, not km/hr :)

Sorrrrrry my mistake, I did not read the Knts reference, you are correct in what you said, apologies SBG

My personal limit is 30km/h wind speed.
OP if you even asked this question, why don't you try to fly your Phantom for 10 minutes and come back here to report us your interesting experience? :p

My personal limit is 30km/h wind speed.
OP if you even asked this question, why don't you try to fly your Phantom for 10 minutes and come back here to report us your interesting experience? :p
I know that the speed is extreme. Thats why i was curious if low altitude can be fine.

Hi t2adze
Yes the wind speed is extreme, but low altitude does not help, dependant on the terrain, you might get "Ground Effect" events, which actually cause downdraught's, or wind sheer which could cause the bird to come down real fast, I have experienced these events, sometimes saved it others not, fortunately the areas where I experienced these events was moorland with a very thick heather growth, that saved the bird for damage (props not withstanding).

Equally ground effect can create areas of apparent stillness in the local, but when you get 10mtrs up the true effect of the wind is felt.

Don't chance it is my advice, as the other OP's said.
Waylander

Reactions: t2adze
As a pilot of light aircraft I would even attempt a take off. And especially not with my Phantom. It would be a loss. Get -a cup of coffe and a good book or a warm woman and cuddle up for s day or so till conditions are better.

I see. Thanks a lot.
By the way a little light in the end of the tunnel.

22:00 today, pretty flyable wind, no?

Attachments

• 1452085682179.jpg
    1452085682179.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 214
I fly in 25-30mph wind a lot. I flew 2.5 miles out this weekend in average 25mph winds with gust up to 29mph. I'm not sure if I would go much past that.

29mph => 25kts, thats quite some wind. Having quite understanding about wind speed as kite surfer i can't wait to let P3A in average 25kts up to short 30kts gusts. That's most usually day we get when is blowing cold/fresh air from mountains, not sea.

And i know that after 30kts things can get messy quite quickly :)

29mph => 25kts, thats quite some wind. Having quite understanding about wind speed as kite surfer i can't wait to let P3A in average 25kts up to short 30kts gusts. That's most usually day we get when is blowing cold/fresh air from mountains, not sea.

And i know that after 30kts things can get messy quite quickly :)

I take off from the top of a mountain. It is taller than the surrounding mountains so the wind get crazy sometime. The gimbal still keep my video really stable. I had to look at my flight data to even tell it was that strong.

sois this one flyable? 13kmh with 14kmh gusts?

Personally Yes no worries, just bare in mind that wind speed varies with altitude and terrain, if you keep that in mind should be no problem, one last thing I would always fly against the wind on the outbound journey, so that when you need to come back the wind will assist and not drain the batteries as much.

Personally Yes no worries, just bare in mind that wind speed varies with altitude and terrain, if you keep that in mind should be no problem, one last thing I would always fly against the wind on the outbound journey, so that when you need to come back the wind will assist and not drain the batteries as much.
Weather is against me. Weather forecast changed...

Attachments

• 1452097267677.jpg
    1452097267677.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 202
I use a Weather Flow wind meter. Portable and plugs into headphone jack and has a companion app that will give sustained and gust speeds as well as direction and location. I picked one up for about $25 and has been a nice addition to my kit.

I use a Weather Flow wind meter. Portable and plugs into headphone jack and has a companion app that will give sustained and gust speeds as well as direction and location. I picked one up for about $25 and has been a nice addition to my kit.
Sounds like a good investment, got any more info on the device, is it available on Amazon...?
:) Waylander

Sounds like a good investment, got any more info on the device, is it available on Amazon...?
Thats better than licking your finger and sticking it up in the air.... what has almost brought me unstuck on several occasions is how much higher the wind speed can be when you uncrease in altitude.

WeatherFlow. It's a small blue device that requires a smart phone. It's on Amazon. I got mine on eBay. There are other devices that are standalone though I haven't tried any of them.

Reactions: Waylander

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik