Would you fly with this battery?

Reaction score
Only 5 charges on this P3A battery.
It flies fine but then I saw the battery status.
Screenshot_1.png

Cell 4 looks to be weak. If it's an old battery it could be due to prolonged storage. It might come back to life if used a few times. I wouldnt fly too far or too high and I'd definitely keep an eye on the battery status in the Go app while flying. If it was mine id hover close by until the battery is low enough to auto land, let it cool, then power the battery on before connecting the charger to let it properly fully charge and see how the cells look then. Good luck!

I should add, whenever testing a "suspect" battery during flight its best to keep the AC close by and low. And disable "smart RTH". You don't want the AC trying to climb to the default RTH altitude with an untrustworthy battery.

The battery was manufactured in june 2015.
I recently purchased the P3A and there is some slight crash damage
It still has original firmware
I'll have to see if the original flight info is still on it

I think that this battery is OK. I would fly with it. Some deviation for a very short time is almost normal. In particular if it stays non used for a long time and 5 years is very long.
Follow the advise in reply #2. You can do it again for a few times within a week or so. The battery will improve.

Reactions: Budman
I charged it again.
Seemed to get worse
I watched the battery status on the screen and everything looked fine
I took off at 97% and landed at 61%
I think I need to wear the battery down more and try again
Other than a data loss signal for 1 second there were no other notifications
Screenshot_2.png

Fly the ( Mod Removed Langage ) out of the battery just watch it I have a battery with 3 cells normal and 1 cell that is out of balance it's a 10000 mah 4s lipo it's old but I fly the hell out of it and it still charges and discharges fine. Just watch for swelling or over heating after the use and during charging you should be fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Budman
I was wearing down the battery and I got a battery critically low warning and it landed.
I was only a foot off the ground hovering
That was at 37% battery left. My settings are default of 30% low and 10% auto land

Battery at maximum distance: 37%

Flight time: 05m 55s
Altitude: 1.0 ft
Home Distance: 18 ft

checked my battery and it all seemed ok
I'm just going to keep this one as a spare
oops, thought I got more info in the pic
20200415_1134121.jpg

I was wearing down the battery and I got a battery critically low warning and it landed.
I was only a foot off the ground hovering
That was at 37% battery left. My settings are default of 30% low and 10% auto land

Battery at maximum distance: 37%

Flight time: 05m 55s
Altitude: 1.0 ft
Home Distance: 18 ft

checked my battery and it all seemed ok
I'm just going to keep this one as a spare
oops, thought I got more info in the pic
View attachment 118196
That's a very short flight time, assuming you started at 100% charge. For it to autoland on critical battery at 37% one cell had to have very low voltage. Would have been interesting to see the cell voltages just prior to the auto landing.

Not full charge. I was at 44% and just trying to wear the battery down and give it a good charge.
This was cell volts at 35% charge
The blue line is the cell in question
Screenshot_2.png

That's quite a variation in cell voltages. Oddly it was the yellow cell that ultimately caused the critical voltage level. I would try what I originally suggested, power on the battery BEFORE connecting the charger and allow it to fully charge. Then when you have about 25 minutes to spare, take off and hover continuously until it auto lands. Monitor cell voltages throughout the entire flight and see which cell drops the quickest.

I drained the battery down to 2% and recharged as 3rdof5 suggested
Took it for a quick flight
Cell 1 got better. Cell 4 changed a little
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_3.png

It's probably coming back to life. I'd still do a full length test flight right from 100% down to autolanding to see how each cell withstands prolonged drain and warming up. Short flights here and there don't really stress the battery enough to learn anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers