Would I need a part 107 license for this...

No, no, no. You are completely wrong. The ONLY time the 107 is needed is if money/compensation is involved. Flying over your own house, looking at your roof, even for inspection only purposes, does NOT fall into that category. I even did a roof inspection for my old church. No 107 required. Neither the church nor I received, or will receive compensation for the photos.

So to recap, personal use a 107 is NOT required, commercial use (AKA getting paid or benefiting financially a 107 IS required.View attachment 83659 View attachment 83660

That's a big NEGATIVE! While "compensation" is one time a Part 107 is required there are many (and I do mean MANY) other times. Basically if every aspect of the flight does not fit within the Hobby/Recreation box then you need either Part 107 or a Public Use COA to fly legally. This includes promoting a business, Search & Rescue, Public Safety, Flight Instruction, Education, Inspection, Survey, Real Estate Photography and the list goes on and on. It's more than "just" getting paid. Huge myth that's common on the internet.

Don't take my word for it, this is directly from the FAA's UAS liaison: (Quote from a previous post about this same topic)

CIVIL vs Hoobbyist (Part 107 vs 101)
Ok I got some clarification. It seems some of the problem stems from our own misunderstanding of the regs and how they were intended. Part 107 does not mean strictly "Commercial Operations" even though everyone (even the FAA) associates Part 107 with Commercial Use. It's even noted as the "Commercial UAS Rules" by the FAA. Commercial Operations are but one portion of what Part 107 encompasses.

Part 107 technically "allows" for "civil" UAS operations. Part of that "civil" operation can certainly be commercial operations but doesn't exclude other flights that are not "Commercial". Therefore, if you are not in compliance with Part 101 and you're not on an Exemption or Public Use COA, you are operating as a civil UAS and Part 107 applies.

Here is a direct quote from him:

"Think of it this way: Everyone is a civil UAS operator, subject to Part 107 (Public Use excluded). Now, Congress mandated that certain operators be left alone (not subject to Part 107) if they are operating as a hobbyist and codified law to describe what a hobbyist operation must adhere to. The FAA took that law and regurgitated it into Part 101. So, if you're going to claim that you are NOT flying under Part 107, you must follow all of Part 101, or else you revert back to Part 107 regulations."

I even did a roof inspection for my old church. No 107 required. Neither the church nor I received, or will receive compensation for the photos.
That's definitely not Hobby/Recreation. Even though you weren't paid you provided a SERVICE. Call up your FSDO and ask them, "If I fly up and do a roof INSPECTION for a local church but they don't pay me do I still need a Part 107?"

While the FAA probably wouldn't take the time to even investigate this unless there is an INCIDENT or a COMPLAINT it's still a violation none-the-less. Providing a service is always going to be Part 107 unless they change the regulations.

About the OP's original question:

Checking out your own roof would not even show up on the FAA's "legal" radar. Checking on all the roofs in an area to help promote a roofing business (or insurance company) would be wholly different.

It is the intent of the flight at the time of launch that determines whether the flight is recreational or commercial. You can legally commercially sell images and video that were shot recreationally, afterwards, as long as that was not your intent when they were originally shot.:cool:

Reactions: Squirrel!
That's not going to fly GG. Might be nice tho. Check it with a lawyer. Clarity is the goal of the law.
I have. That is my lawyer's interpretation of the FAA Regs. If you have any different interpretation to contribute, based upon anything other than your own personal opinon, please bring it on! :cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT