Worth getting Polar Pro 6-pack?

The polarizers in the six pack are pretty weak. I bought a set thinking it would help shooting on water, just like a 'real' camera. Doesn't. You can barely tell the difference as you rotate the drone. And recall that, even if they did work well, the polarization factor would change as you move the camera relative to the sun. In my case, I was trying to shoot some fish almost vertically and pretty much stationary. Still could not punch through much of the glare.

the N32 is useful on those nice bright days.

Yeah the concept of a CP on a Phantom is interesting to me considering you can't rotate while in flight. I guess it could be used if you set it beforehand and plan on getting a still photo at a particular angle.

Have you found any polarizers that do actually work for video? Also, have you found much of a difference between say the ND-16 and the ND-16 PL? Is using the the polarized version going to make the shot worse or do you pretty much get the same result?

Yeah the concept of a CP on a Phantom is interesting to me considering you can't rotate while in flight. I guess it could be used if you set it beforehand and plan on getting a still photo at a particular angle.

Have you found any polarizers that do actually work for video? Also, have you found much of a difference between say the ND-16 and the ND-16 PL? Is using the the polarized version going to make the shot worse or do you pretty much get the same result?
I have used polarizers on my Nikons shooting video over water. They do work, but you have to carefully think the shot through. It really is an edge case device for video. I'd still like a stronger polarizer for my Phantom but that would be for a specific shot - near vertical over water where you could rotate the aircraft and get the correct polarization.

I've not actually compared the ND16 to the ND16 Pol but I did spend several hours spinning slowly in circles trying to convince myself the polarizer function was actually doing something. Wasn't too successful. They really are polarizers, you can cross them and blank out most of the light, but they seem to weak to be useful.

Reactions: b2photo
I recently got Mudder Circular Polarizer Filter.

It works OK. I set the gimbal up limit OFF in the DJI GO prefs and aim it at the sky, then orient the AC looking 90° from the sun at my preferred direction, then rotate the polarizer to the maximum effect, and go up.

The only negative is that when shooting 4000 x 3000 it has some vignetting at the corners that must be cropped off in post.

2016-0807-1845-34.jpg

Polarizing filter (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Polarizer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I recently got Mudder Circular Polarizer Filter.

It works OK. I set the gimbal up limit OFF in the DJI GO prefs and aim it at the sky, then orient the AC looking 90° from the sun at my preferred direction, then rotate the polarizer to the maximum effect, and go up.

The only negative is that when shooting 4000 x 3000 it has some vignetting at the corners that must be cropped off in post.

Seems like the filter is working a lot better on the right side of your photo. Might just be because of where the sun is though.

Seems like the filter is working a lot better on the right side of your photo. Might just be because of where the sun is though.

Yes, I wish I could rotate the filter also while the AC is up. Although that would not work at all angles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31