Worst accessory you've ever purchased?

Reaction score
If there's one thing us dronies like, it's accessories. Cases, batteries, sunshades, headsets... you name it, they make it, we buy it.
The only purchase I regret is some extended clip on legs landing gear. They aren't very rigid, so with any slight wind or turn, they show up as a black leg in the shot.
What's your worst?

Reactions: DocDiggler
From the last 4 years I would have to empty a box and count them .:rolleyes:

Prop guards and gimbal guard (the one that goes between the legs of the drone). The camera hits the gimbal guard every time I start it up, so I removed it, and the prop guards get in the shot far too often. I would only consider putting them on if I was being paid to fly indoors or in a tight area.

If you are a phantom 3 standard owner... We always try to modify the tablet holder... I have a bunch useless one that broke... Worst accessory ever.

Has to be my hardcase and tablets. IPAD2 and NIVIDIA shield K1. I made a video about it . This was my kit.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you are a phantom 3 standard owner... We always try to modify the tablet holder... I have a bunch useless one that broke... Worst accessory ever.
Wow, so you went back to a phone then?

Prop guards and gimbal guard (the one that goes between the legs of the drone). The camera hits the gimbal guard every time I start it up, so I removed it, and the prop guards get in the shot far too often. I would only consider putting them on if I was being paid to fly indoors or in a tight area.

These two items have their place when one is just starting out flying these things. It's kind of like training wheels on a child's first two wheeler. Once the skill level comes up enough, off they come.

Reactions: jofus
Tablet holder that couldn't hold the 9.7" tablet's position ... tried very carefully to tighten the screw until it broke the plastics ... had to buy the original DJI P3P tablet holder.

ND4 filter for my P4 standard. Although there may be a time to use it, I have yet to in almost 2 years. The 8 is my goto, and the 16 is good for over the water on the clearest and brightest of days.

My only 'bad' purchase for my P4P+ was the clip on landing gear. Never used them, except to test the fit. I'll probably toss them.

Otherwise, I've done OK.

I ordered a backpack carry case which held the original DJI container - the one in which the P4P shipped. (I don't recall the manufacturer, but it was from Amazon.) In the end, the original foam case wasn't working for me for storage, so I ordered the Polar Pro Drone Trekker.

But, I don't consider this a 'worst accessory' purchase as my wife pirated the Amazon case for her shoes! :D

I bought a pair of those copper-lined parabolic antenna signal boosters and found out they are pretty much worthless. I did detailed flight tests with my P3P comparing maximum range both with and without the boosters in the exact same location under exact same weather conditions and found ZERO improvement in range with the boosters. Total waste of money!

I bought a pair of those copper-lined parabolic antenna signal boosters and found out they are pretty much worthless. I did detailed flight tests with my P3P comparing maximum range both with and without the boosters in the exact same location under exact same weather conditions and found ZERO improvement in range with the boosters. Total waste of money!

I've had several pilots suggest I buy a set of these. Instead, I borrowed a set from a friend. He also flies a P4P+. I experienced the same results as you describe. In fact, it seemed to me the RC signal was a bit 'shaky' with the range-extenders in place.

Reactions: BMF-P4P
I've had several pilots suggest I buy a set of these. Instead, I borrowed a set from a friend. He also flies a P4P+. I experienced the same results as you describe. In fact, it seemed to me the RC signal was a bit 'shaky' with the range-extenders in place.

I had a gut feeling they were a scam, but I heard so much hype about these parabolic boosters that I finally broke down and bought a pair. I spent an entire afternoon on a windless day testing them out with long distance flights, flying the exact same flight path both with and without the parabolics. I saw absolutely no difference in max. range in the comparison test. They are a ripoff, but I'm sure millions have been sold so as they say ---- "1000 suckers born every minute" ..... including me. I sold my parabolics on Ebay but barely got $5.00 for them :(

Reactions: svjobeth
I had a gut feeling they were a scam, but I heard so much hype about these parabolic boosters that I finally broke down and bought a pair. I spent an entire afternoon on a windless day testing them out with long distance flights, flying the exact same flight path both with and without the parabolics. I saw absolutely no difference in max. range in the comparison test. They are a ripoff, but I'm sure millions have been sold so as they say ---- "1000 suckers born every minute" ..... including me. I sold my parabolics on Ebay but barely got $5.00 for them :(

Better than naught, I suppose. Lessons learned...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen