My FDLZ

Reaction score
I read a post someone made the other day regarding a place to land there bird. I know that dust can wreak havoc while landing on dirt areas. And landing on grass areas can be unstable causing your drone to tip which can cause prop damage.
And the same goes for take offs.
So after some research I came up with a device that helps me in numerous ways. First of all I had an accident back in July that for the most part paralyzed my leg from the knee down. I can walk but I need the aid of something to support my weight on like a walker. So while researching YouTube videos, I came across a section of videos that or exclusively about the use of the new "Inspire-1" by DJI of course. One of the videos was done by a member of a popular discovery channel cable TV show "Myth Busters".(the one with hair-and a fellow Drone Brother)....anyway he developed the top section of this build.
So I sort of reversed engineered what he built, and put my own needs to complement the design as to fit my current handicap needs. I also have added some cool features.The end product works perfectly with the exception of a few minor tweaks that I can make in the future. Along with many more additions to make it a "Super "LZ" for Drones" as I'm currently going to name it.
I have had plenty of downtime since my accident in July to work on this project and I'm very happy with the outcome. The total cost of this project has been for less than $40. *{excluding the pneumatic wheels}
Materials used:
•3/4 plywood (28"X 19")
•1x3/4 trim stock (appx. 6' total)
•Black felt (1 yard)
•Clear lacquer, 1/2 pint+ Black acrylic 1oz +Orange glow acrylic 2oz.
•white glue
•wood screws
• aluminum rack (28"x 20")

** additional features:
• the swivel box that custom fits in the black felt work & parts area., and slides out to store on one of the aluminum shelves of the roller stand. It allows you to work on your Drone while in the field, keeps the drone elevated like a car on a jack, but allows you to spin it 360*} ••IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE MY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS OF MY DRONE SWIVEL BOX INVENTION•• I will be happy to give you the very simple particulars. great to use on your work bench at home & great for other hobbies. I'm sure the R/C guys already have most of it figured out....lol
One of the attached photos has the box installed with my P2V++ & Bright-*** blue LED's lighting up my new website handle. (I'm going to retire Moose)

€~•I paid $5.00 for the Aluminum rack found at a junkyard. Everyone seems to think it was used as a display rack for some type of item in a grocery store i.e. cupcakes,bread. Ect...,
It came with some very small (see pic) caster type wheels originally. But I knew they wouldn't function for my needs safety or smoothly. While on surfaces such as grass,gravel,dried mud, sidewalks or asphalt. So I purchased some obnoxiously large pneumatic inflatable rubber tires with innertube mounted on a nice ball bearing caster wheels. Seen in photos. BUT AN ENGINEER I'M NOT!!!
The geometry just doesn't work for that size diameter wheel supporting the size of my"Drone LZ" platform or cart (whatever u categorize the widget).
*** SUGGESTIONS FROM YOU ENGINEERING types that this site is loaded with, would be much appreciated!
I purchased these wheels for about $60 online. (A big drawback from ordering from a photo, and the 2nd must deal with my lack of math skills especially geometry !!!)
Four wheels wouldn't fit! So I tried using only 3 and it's just not stable. Wheels are Just too **** BIg IMHO....
Attached are some pics.

***The LZ will fit drones as large as the INSPIRE-1 with the landing arms fully extended *see photo

Once I get the proper wheel combination, this will be perfect for my needs. I have already mocked up some accessories for my "FDLZ" or my
"Field Drone Landing Zone"

ACCESSORIES
A.
The bottom shelf has a custom fitted "ball bearing slide" Shelf. That shelf houses a "1000watt Pwr inverter" that attaches connects to a large dry cell battery. This will supply all the Pwr needed to charge up both my "P2V++" & INSPIREv2.
B.
The same shelf also contains a small PC board that will be the brain for all the different lights I plan on attaching to the "DFLZ" LED's will border the landing pad. Also power the night-light work area.
C.
Inside the black felt lined area a set of Spring loaded legs which fold along each 1"wall, when fully extended 14" long. The purpose of this will be to extend up the 14" with the brightest white-light working LED's I can locate.
D.
a cable attachment that will attach to a car battery 10' away bypassing the dry-cell.
E.
I also plan on putting a decorative string of LED's along the outside border or the wood area of the "DFLZ" & fully light up the first shelf.
F.
And finally a removable "SPOTLIGHT" "2mm cp" that will mount in the area of the 2nd shelf. To act as a "Headlight" so I can see where I pushing it.. right...lol
G-H-I {I'm totally open for any creative, yet serious options you have}
••••ALSO OPEN TO CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM•••

••••••{Now most of you will say "OVERKILL" !! But keep in mind that this "DFLZ" doubles as my "Walker" I'm handicapped. I can walk a few steps but with shaky balance. I use a power-chair 90% of my day. Or a cane & walker the rest.}•••••••••••

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662539.483465.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662564.586634.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662584.590991.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662607.273620.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662629.884367.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662649.531221.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662888.794871.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662917.568802.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662930.470366.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453662958.107311.jpg

BTW: If someone comes up with a cooler or catchier name for this thing other than
My current "FDLZ" I'll give away the "Swivel Work Station" SWS I mention in this post & show. It has at least a $20 value. My wife feels that FDLZ Acronym, sounds too much like a religion.. Anyway it wouldn't be the one shown but a new one, any color of your choice!!
Thx,
Drone-Outlaw
Formally Moose... lol

BTW: I forgot to show a pic of the castor wheels that were mounted on the frame originally. As soon as I find them I'll post a photo. But if you use your imagination it's the same size caster that's on most structures that you see in an office building that roll around. Usually made out of plastic, this had a metal wheel with a plastic shroud.

Last edited:
I read a post someone made the other day regarding a place to land there bird. I know that dust can wreak havoc while landing on dirt areas. And landing on grass areas can be unstable causing your drone to tip which can cause prop damage.
And the same goes for take offs.
So after some research I came up with a device that helps me in numerous ways. First of all I had an accident back in July that for the most part paralyzed my leg from the knee down. I can walk but I need the aid of something to support my weight on like a walker. So while researching YouTube videos, I came across a section of videos that or exclusively about the use of the new "Inspire-1" by DJI of course. One of the videos was done by a member of a popular discovery channel cable TV show "Myth Busters".(the one with hair-and a fellow Drone Brother)....anyway he developed the top section of this build.
So I sort of reversed engineered what he built, and put my own needs to complement the design as to fit my current handicap needs. I also have added some cool features.The end product works perfectly with the exception of a few minor tweaks that I can make in the future. Along with many more additions to make it a "Super "LZ" for Drones" as I'm currently going to name it.
I have had plenty of downtime since my accident in July to work on this project and I'm very happy with the outcome. The total cost of this project has been for less than $40. *{excluding the pneumatic wheels}
Materials used:
•3/4 plywood (28"X 19")
•1x3/4 trim stock (appx. 6' total)
•Black felt (1 yard)
•Clear lacquer, 1/2 pint+ Black acrylic 1oz +Orange glow acrylic 2oz.
•white glue
•wood screws
• aluminum rack (28"x 20")

** additional features:
• the swivel box that custom fits in the black felt work & parts area., and slides out to store on one of the aluminum shelves of the roller stand. It allows you to work on your Drone while in the field, keeps the drone elevated like a car on a jack, but allows you to spin it 360*} ••IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE MY SIMPLE INSTRUCTIONS OF MY DRONE SWIVEL BOX INVENTION•• I will be happy to give you the very simple particulars. great to use on your work bench at home & great for other hobbies. I'm sure the R/C guys already have most of it figured out....lol
One of the attached photos has the box installed with my P2V++ & Bright-*** blue LED's lighting up my new website handle. (I'm going to retire Moose)

€~•I paid $5.00 for the Aluminum rack found at a junkyard. Everyone seems to think it was used as a display rack for some type of item in a grocery store i.e. cupcakes,bread. Ect...,
It came with some very small (see pic) caster type wheels originally. But I knew they wouldn't function for my needs safety or smoothly. While on surfaces such as grass,gravel,dried mud, sidewalks or asphalt. So I purchased some obnoxiously large pneumatic inflatable rubber tires with innertube mounted on a nice ball bearing caster wheels. Seen in photos. BUT AN ENGINEER I'M NOT!!!
The geometry just doesn't work for that size diameter wheel supporting the size of my"Drone LZ" platform or cart (whatever u categorize the widget).
*** SUGGESTIONS FROM YOU ENGINEERING types that this site is loaded with, would be much appreciated!
I purchased these wheels for about $60 online. (A big drawback from ordering from a photo, and the 2nd must deal with my lack of math skills especially geometry !!!)
Four wheels wouldn't fit! So I tried using only 3 and it's just not stable. Wheels are Just too **** BIg IMHO....
Attached are some pics.

***The LZ will fit drones as large as the INSPIRE-1 with the landing arms fully extended *see photo

Once I get the proper wheel combination, this will be perfect for my needs. I have already mocked up some accessories for my "FDLZ" or my
"Field Drone Landing Zone"

ACCESSORIES
A.
The bottom shelf has a custom fitted "ball bearing slide" Shelf. That shelf houses a "1000watt Pwr inverter" that attaches connects to a large dry cell battery. This will supply all the Pwr needed to charge up both my "P2V++" & INSPIREv2.
B.
The same shelf also contains a small PC board that will be the brain for all the different lights I plan on attaching to the "DFLZ" LED's will border the landing pad. Also power the night-light work area.
C.
Inside the black felt lined area a set of Spring loaded legs which fold along each 1"wall, when fully extended 14" long. The purpose of this will be to extend up the 14" with the brightest white-light working LED's I can locate.
D.
a cable attachment that will attach to a car battery 10' away bypassing the dry-cell.
E.
I also plan on putting a decorative string of LED's along the outside border or the wood area of the "DFLZ" & fully light up the first shelf.
F.
And finally a removable "SPOTLIGHT" "2mm cp" that will mount in the area of the 2nd shelf. To act as a "Headlight" so I can see where I pushing it.. right...lol
G-H-I {I'm totally open for any creative, yet serious options you have}
••••ALSO OPEN TO CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM•••

••••••{Now most of you will say "OVERKILL" !! But keep in mind that this "DFLZ" doubles as my "Walker" I'm handicapped. I can walk a few steps but with shaky balance. I use a power-chair 90% of my day. Or a cane & walker the rest.}•••••••••••

View attachment 41632View attachment 41633View attachment 41635View attachment 41636 View attachment 41637View attachment 41638View attachment 41639View attachment 41640View attachment 41641View attachment 41642
Very nice! Good job.:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj