Wobble on take off! Even after IMU Advanced calibration

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have had a blast flying my Phantom all over the place but one evening I was showing a friend how well it flies and it got away from me so i used the GPS come home option by turning off the remote. It came back and landed but landed a little rough by tipping over to one side stopping the props fast. As I tried to take off again I got it up about 2 to 3 feet when it wobbled really badly and out of control so it crashed. Every time I take off it wobbles badly. I have reset to factory settings. I have done an advanced IMU calibration. I have re-calibrated the compass but no better! It seems as though there is a speed difference in one of the props when its in idle on the ground. I'm not sure what else to do and I really miss flying that cool piece of tech! HELP!!

Best

Vicartbytes

did u check your props?? no cracks?? i was wondering if u try opening it and give it a spin check might be one of those four motors have problem ..i have that once when i was flying my nuts that hold the motor was loose..

hope u resolve it..

The props are fine....actually I tried that by changing out the worst looking two but still has the same issues. I took this short video yesterday evening showing the problem. Hope there is someone out there that has an easy fix for me!!?
http://youtu.be/soPUSl-ISk8

Best
Vicartbytes

In the video, you're taking off "nose in" which is taboo to 99.99% of us, so I couldn't see the led sequence which may tell the story.
Hold it in your hand, rev up at half stick, be careful, tilt the Phantom slowly forward and see if it try to pull back ward. Do the same for the side roll, if you don't get any compensation reaction, perhaps the NAZA needs to be checked out. Another possibility is that one or more esc went bad.

Yes, let us see what the leds are doing. This looks like either a bent shaft or bad motor. Check each one for wobble or heat after you idle motors a couple minutes. Are all motor mounting screws tight ? Has one motor popped loose from frame ? Actually, after reading the next post and looking for the reflection on the grass. I'd say err25. Lot of red and yellow there. Again let us see the leds.

It looks like you are getting the dreaded error indication from the LED (based on what can be seen reflecting off the grass around 0:50) but I agree with the above statements that we need to see what the LED lights are indicating.

Hey there, two things to check , check for bent motor shaft, take props off and put nuts on see if they wobble, make sure rotation on props match whats on the body of phantom,, also check to see if for some reason the mixer type, when you hook it up to computor is still set on quad, saw some other videos on you tube and they had some how changed it to tri copter and it wobbled just like yours does,, good luck.

Thanks for the quick response!! I will try this over the weekend...hopefully I will have some "ME" time to handle this!
Best
Vicartbytes

vicartbytes said:
Thanks for the quick response!! I will try this over the weekend...hopefully I will have some "ME" time to handle this!
Best
Vicartbytes

Like pwright said, give it more time before you take off. Never be in a hurry to get airborne!

FIXED! OK!!! So after I got some much needed "ME TIME" I tinkered on the Phantom with the software. Compass needed some tweaking but the biggest issue was that it was not set in "Quad-rotor X" mode in the mixer type section of the software. Thank you guys for your help! She is back up and running just fine now! Not really sure how it selected a different mixer type but maybe through setup or when I selected back to factory settings it did it!? Not sure but that was what the issue was!

vicartbytes said:
FIXED! OK!!! So after I got some much needed "ME TIME" I tinkered on the Phantom with the software. Compass needed some tweaking but the biggest issue was that it was not set in "Quad-rotor X" mode in the mixer type section of the software. Thank you guys for your help! She is back up and running just fine now! Not really sure how it selected a different mixer type but maybe through setup or when I selected back to factory settings it did it!? Not sure but that was what the issue was!

Great!! Happy flying!!!

I've also heard that when you reset to factory settings, it changes it from Quad to something else.
worse case scenario you might want to open it up and make sure everything is still connected properly.

I just received a NEW Phantom. I installed it properly, double checked prop direction and even switched props after problem occurred. I did the Advanced IMU Calibration and after first Wobble experience, I reset Gain to 100% default for all. When I take off, the Phantom Wobbles significantly. Prior to take off, I received proper Green Lights and >6 sats (no red lights). I am ready to send it back. All motors seem to be spinning in proper direction and all level with consistent speed. Any suggestions?

did you happen to do the compass calibration? also, are you taking off from a metallic surface or a place that has magnetic properties?

It works!!! I too had to go to the settings and change to Quadrotpr X mode. Thank you for your reply!!

Guys

I'm getting the exact same thing with a brand new Phantom. Really bad wobble straight out of the box. I'm waiting until I get a single green flash before attempting take off. I looked at the quadrotor x settings and it was set to that. I set it to something else, then back to quadrotor x and that cured the problem - I had my first flight.

Next day I set out to fly again and same problem - back to wobble. I held the phantom and set it to throttle up - it looks like the motors are randomly spinning at different speeds and it veers off sideways.

As an aside, I can't seem to get it into solid yellow light status to calibrate the compass either - the settings look fine on the software and the IMU status is normal.

Please help - if I don't get this sorted it's going back to the supplier.

happydays said:
Guys

I'm getting the exact same thing with a brand new Phantom. Really bad wobble straight out of the box. I'm waiting until I get a single green flash before attempting take off. I looked at the quadrotor x settings and it was set to that. I set it to something else, then back to quadrotor x and that cured the problem - I had my first flight.

Next day I set out to fly again and same problem - back to wobble. I held the phantom and set it to throttle up - it looks like the motors are randomly spinning at different speeds and it veers off sideways.

As an aside, I can't seem to get it into solid yellow light status to calibrate the compass either - the settings look fine on the software and the IMU status is normal.

Please help - if I don't get this sorted it's going back to the supplier.

DJI finally got a clue, and with the new (and subsequent) software, (v2.14/3.14 came out yesterday), the Phantom should now default to X from now on.

But it should stay in X from then on out.

if you're unable to calibrate the compass, and experiencing other issues. I'd def talk to your supplier

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers