With Litchi, do you need to have the remote connected at all times?

Reaction score
Just wondering if you create a mission with waypoints and it goes out of range with your remote and you lose signal completely, will it complete the mission properly and reconnect? It seems like a decent way to fly in an area with high interference in a stable manner. The only concern is momentary loss with GPS I suppose.

Just wondering if you create a mission with waypoints and it goes out of range with your remote and you lose signal completely, will it complete the mission properly and reconnect?
Litchi gives you the option to let the mission continue if signal is lost, or to return to the launch point.
The only concern is momentary loss with GPS I suppose.
Why would loss of GPS be any concern at all?
Unless you fly in an area where terrain or obstacles block the drone's skyview, you shouldn't ever be losing GPS.

Hi ihavequestions, The answer to your question is 'yes', the aircraft will continue with the mission and end at the programmed point in the programmed manner ie hover or land. The reason that the aircraft completes the mission is that the whole programmed mission is uploaded from the tablet to the aircraft via the controller just before take off.

A tip I will add is to programme the missions to always end near the start point even if this is not neccessary for the purpose of the mission. I always take manual control at the end of the mission and hand catch.

When the loss of signal is only temporary, for example if the aircraft flew behind tall trees or buildings but then re-immerged then the controller will reconnect. Technically you don't absolutely need to have the controller connected during the flight but it is of course highly advisable so that you can flick the switch into Sport mode temporarily to halt the mission and regain direct control of the aircraft. Remember that although Litchi is a very capable system YOU remain responsible for the safety of the flight.

Loss of GPS only happens when there are issues with the GPS receiver in the aircraft or when the view of the sky is obscured, for example if you were attempting to fly along trails in a forest. (I have seen videos of people attempting to fly through tunnels and being surprised by loss of GPS!)

All the best, Martin

Reactions: Billie Nelson
Important facts not yet mentioned on this thread: You need RC/AC connectivity to execute gimbal pitch and speed changes. If you lose connectivity then the former will only possibly ruin your video or photo composition. The latter, however, can cause you to lose your drone so program carefully with this in mind. Here is how: if you program speed to drop to, say, 3mph and ramp back up later to 20 and you lose connection in between those two, the change to 20 won’t happen. And you could run out the battery since the mission will be much longer than planned at 3mph. Make sure you can be confident that any such speed changes are within connection range. Or don’t drop speed at all.

Reactions: Billie Nelson
No, Smart RTH/Low Battery RTH will kick in and override the current flying speed to RTH-speed.
Ok. Good point. Thanks for adding that. Smart RTH must be enabled for this which I believe is the default. I disabled it long ago because it kicked in on me once a long time ago and made a bee line for the home point and even with a high RTH height set it nearly ran into trees on the top of a mountain. Made for a good video though. ;)

Thank you all as I enjoyed reading all the answers to the “thread question“ on loss of signal during a Litchi Mission. I learned from it and will be better informed when plotting my next Litchi mission. The biggest shortcoming with my trusted P3S is it short signal range and Litchi theoretically extends my flight range!

No, Smart RTH/Low Battery RTH will kick in and override the current flying speed to RTH-speed.
I wanted to confirm that because I'm doing a long mission of 20+ minutes or so. If the battery went down more quickly than anticipated I'd want it to RTH.

I wanted to confirm that because I'm doing a long mission of 20+ minutes or so. If the battery went down more quickly than anticipated I'd want it to RTH.
See my comment immediately after the one you just commented on.

Reactions: snowghost

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik