......winds. I need to vent.

Reaction score
I've been all excited to take a trip to Mykonos to fly my P4P with a friend who has a place there. Been looking forward to spending 3 days flying as much as possible.

Turns out the weather is not good in terms of wind. Forever 30mph+ winds. He has a Mavic so we are essentially both likely to be grounded.
I know there's the beach and cocktails but I really wanted to get some decent flying time in. I bet I don't even unzip the backpack.

Even more annoying is that I paid for a checked bag because I was shlepping the drone.

Just wanted to vent with people who would understand.

As you were.

I feel for ya! I spent 3 weeks holiday in Newfoundland last year and it's windy and foggy a lot. People a super nice and the scenery is good and I was grounded most of the time. I did get some dang good videos' of icebergs and some pretty cool cliffs and shorelines. When to window for flight is small and rare keep your bird ready and your batteries full charged (it's only 3 days your batteries won't mind). Hope you get a chance to fly (you know your a Phantom pilot when!)

I've been all excited to take a trip to Mykonos to fly my P4P with a friend who has a place there. Been looking forward to spending 3 days flying as much as possible.

Turns out the weather is not good in terms of wind. Forever 30mph+ winds. He has a Mavic so we are essentially both likely to be grounded.
I know there's the beach and cocktails but I really wanted to get some decent flying time in. I bet I don't even unzip the backpack.

Even more annoying is that I paid for a checked bag because I was shlepping the drone.

As you were.
Dang that sucks man! Your P4P will handle 30 ok. Prob not good for stills unless your in total sun.

Dang that sucks man! Your P4P will handle 30 ok. Prob not good for stills unless your in total sun.

Will it handle 30mph? I had it in my mind that 20-25 was absolute max. The sky will be clear and sunny. Have NDs so not worried about that. Just the wind.

Apart from taking off and being careful and checking weather apps, is there any way to judge if it's safe or not to fly?

Sustained 30mph wind with gusts usually ends up with a crashed bird. Can it do it, technically yes, but good luck landing, or fighting the wind to get back to your landing spot.

I was in Maui, HI last week. Off the north headland, 20 to 25mph sustained, with 30 + gusts. Risky as hell, really hard to control, and near impossible to takeoff or land. Got it up, almost lost it and barely got it down by landing behind a large ledge of rock that acted as a wind break. I could just see my $1500 investment plunge into the sea or go crashing into,that beautiful volcanic landscape I was trying to film.

Wouldn't recommend.

Iv'e flown at 30 mph and your right it is pretty choppy. But I don't think you would have any problems as long as you are not super close to objects and try to fly upwind first. Just don't go out as far as you normally would. As far as landing goes, def don't land on the ground! Just bring it in slow above you and hand catch it! I would do it for sure! Just be careful man!

I feel your pain. Spent a long weekend on Hilton Head and winds just wouldn't let up. Finally, the very last morning was looking to be good so I got up before sunrise, went out to the beach and got the sun coming up over the water. Some of the best footage I've taken with a drone. Patience and a LOT of luck are required in this hobby...

Hope you get a window to fly.

As you were.

Same here, 1 month ago I was there but I coudn't take off the p4p at Myconos due to very haevy winds... sad enough...

Maybe hover about 10- 15 feet to see how she responds.
If you hand launch and hand catch it could be done. Just be careful. As most already said, fly into the wind, so on the way back you won't be fighting to bring her home.
The most I've flown in was 25mph with 30mph gusts and it was very uncomfortable. I would only risk that again for something spectacular to shoot.

On a side note, I flew my Mavic in 20 - 25mph+ winds this evening to shoot the local fireworks, since my P4P is at DJI being repaired, kept getting the orange strong wind notification bar in place of my green gps in flight bar( not sure if that is correct) These birds can handle alot more wind than we give them credit for, but it is very dangerous, and a higher chance you won't get your drone back in one piece or at all. No risk, no reward. But you better make sure the reward is worth the risk first. ;)
Ranting over. Goodnight :)

Maybe hover about 10- 15 feet to see how she responds.
If you hand launch and hand catch it could be done. Just be careful. As most already said, fly into the wind, so on the way back you won't be fighting to bring her home.
The most I've flown in was 25mph with 30mph gusts and it was very uncomfortable. I would only risk that again for something spectacular to shoot.

On a side note, I flew my Mavic in 20 - 25mph+ winds this evening to shoot the local fireworks, since my P4P is at DJI being repaired, kept getting the orange strong wind notification bar in place of my green gps in flight bar( not sure if that is correct) These birds can handle alot more wind than we give them credit for, but it is very dangerous, and a higher chance you won't get your drone back in one piece or at all. No risk, no reward. But you better make sure the reward is worth the risk first. ;)
Ranting over. Goodnight :)

The winds are over 35mph today. No way can it fly.

The winds are over 35mph today. No way can it fly.
I feel your frustration. The first week and half I received my P4P it was raining or windy here. I even got up at sunset one morning because UAV FORECAST said it would be ok to fly when I checked the night before. I was so excited I packed everything up and went outside. Nope windy as hell. So I stared at a brand new shiny P4P for 10 days waiting. The weeks after ordering the P4P waiting for it to ship were beautiful up until the day it was delivered. I'm sorry bro. I hope you get a break in the wind and get her up in the sky where she belongs!

I feel your frustration. The first week and half I received my P4P it was raining or windy here. I even got up at sunset one morning because UAV FORECAST said it would be ok to fly when I checked the night before. I was so excited I packed everything up and went outside. Nope windy as hell. So I stared at a brand new shiny P4P for 10 days waiting. The weeks after ordering the P4P waiting for it to ship were beautiful up until the day it was delivered. I'm sorry bro. I hope you get a break in the wind and get her up in the sky where she belongs!

It's looking unlikely. If anything they are getting stronger.

Really aggravating. There's some beautiful flights to be had through a valley and out into the beach and the bay.
The wind is so high that I can actually feel it moving me on my sun lounger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers