Wind Speed and P4 Pro+ Stability

Phantoms and Mavic Pro pilots report GPS dropout issues regularly.

I've only had it occur very rarely on my MP and never (I think) on my P4P.

DJI use a mobile phone sort of GPS receiver in their drones and these are typically over-sensitive in the front end. That can lead to issues when there is interference or even a GPS signal swamping the correlator.

That's one theory. Another is that there is perhaps a bad interface between the GPS receiver and the navigation processor on the drone side. Whether that is badly designed hardware or software, no telling.

I'd love it if DJI would re-design their entire navigation suite so that it fails more gracefully. ie: go into ded-reckoning if the GPS fails (use compass+IMU). This will have a high error rate, but could cover for the GPS for 30 seconds or so adequately (depends on the accelerometer quality).

Also, discipline the mag compass using the GPS when the vehicle is moving.

Use the GPS (when moving) as a track-made-good source for when the compasses fail or have high interference.

Use the GPS to build calibration tables for the altimeter.

Reactions: abbeyaerialvideo
Phantoms and Mavic Pro pilots report GPS dropout issues regularly.
Just about all reports of losing GPS are due to compass issues.
Get a compass error and your Phantom ignores GPS data because it can't handle the data conflict.
The GPS system is extremely robust and does not fail unless there is a poor connection or a rare hardware issue.

Reactions: marciano
If you have been using these forums for any length of time you will see gps lock lost threads. Many people have them, but they are usually short lasting, one source is strong electro-magnetic radiation bleeding out the signal from the gps satellites

I have attempted take offs in 10mph winds and In two instances it caused the bird to topple. Is there a technique that will minimize this problem? I always take off into the wind direction.

I have attempted take offs in 10mph winds and In two instances it caused the bird to topple. Is there a technique that will minimize this problem? I always take off into the wind direction.
In windy situations, look for a sheltered launch spot and/or get it up quickly away from anything it can bump into.
10 mph shouldn't cause any major upsets.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT