Wifi range

Reaction score
Well I'm still waiting on my phantom. Should ship any day now! On to my question. How far does the wifi range extend? Could I use follow me hand my phone to someone and have them run while I keep my fingers on the controls, or would I have to run too?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Someone must know? Or at least a guesstimate. I know many of you have phantoms to test this on.

Signal will follow radio with phone sorry

But if you take the phone off the transmitter and leave the transmitter with someone or on a stump and walk around with the phone, presumably the quad with follow you as it is really following the gps location being supplied by the phone. The RC does not have gps in it. So the question is how far away from the RC can you walk with the wifi extender before the phone and RC loose connection?

So the question is how far away from the RC can you walk with the wifi extender before the phone and RC loose connection?

Yes this is my question I know it tracks the phone not the rc but how far can I go before losing connection?

This is not an expected mode of operation so no guidance is offered.

You may have to try it yourself to see and will surely vary based on orientation and local conditions.

I know this doesn't answer the question, and I'm interested in hearing from someone who has field tested this scenario... Part of the limitation is going to be the mobile devices ability to transmit a wifi signal strong enough back to the RC to maintain the wifi link.

You may have to try it yourself to see and will surely vary based on orientation and local conditions.

Mine comes in next week that's why I'm asking here.

Part of the limitation is going to be the mobile devices ability to transmit a wifi signal strong enough back to the RC to maintain the wifi link.

Other way round the wifi comes from the RC not the phone. therefore it's a matter of how strong the wifi signal from the RC is. Think of it like you home router you can increase or decrease the wifi distance on the machine not the phone.

It's two-way comm. so the weakest link determines the max.

How else does the RC get the location data from the phone???

It's two way comm. so the weakest link determines the max.
The phone would be pretty strong though would it not? Many people connect to wifi from far away. Think outside of a McDonald's?

Wifi requires a two way connection to setup and maintain. Phone responding signal strength will matter and limit distance from the base station (the RC)

My brother and I had a use case this could have been good for. I maintain pilot in control while he rides his bike with the iPhone in his pocket. In follow me mode the quad will follow him while I keep it safe from obstacles if need be.

How far could he go though like 100ft up the street 50?

If it wasn't 2 degrees out this weekend I would try it with the stock setup. May still try a basic test. Wifi noise in your local area can greatly effect results.

That is to say, we have not tried it yet.

Last edited:
If it wasn't 2 degrees out this weekend I would try it with the stock setup. May still try a basic test. Wifi noise in your local area can greatly effect results.

That is to say, we have not tried it yet.

I would be doing it at the cottage in the summer where not many wifi routers are around but I do get your point thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl