WiFi.. on or off?

Reaction score
Recently in a different thread, a fellow member posted an interesting article concerning the new iOS 11 update saying the WiFi quick switch simply just disconnects the device from the access point that it's connected to, but actually leaves WiFi on for location accuracy for certain apps. Here's that article...

Redirect Notice
*See 2nd post for link*

I know not all of us use iOS, so I checked the 2 Android devices that I have, Moto Z and Nvidia Shield, (which I use the shield to fly) and they also use this for location accuracy.

I have read that some can clear up the green screen problem among other connection problems sometimes by turning off WiFi which makes me wonder if we were actually turning it off when we hit the WiFi quick switch. I didn't know of this extra step so I wasn't. Apparently, unless you go to (Android) Settings--Location-- three dots in top right corner, and disabling WiFi scanning, your not actually turning off your WiFi. (Don't have my mini 4 to check right now) Also, if WiFi scanning is enabled, scanning settings show up in your WiFi setting. If it's already disabled, it won't show up there.

I know enabling airplane mode would turn it off but I was unaware of the other method until now.

Interesting to hear your thoughts.... And if you want, list your device and whether or not it has this option.

Happy flying!!

Last edited:
Recently in a different thread, a fellow member posted an interesting article concerning the new iOS 11 update saying the WiFi quick switch simply just disconnects the device from the access point that it's connected to, but actually leaves WiFi on for location accuracy for certain apps. Here's that article...

Redirect Notice
*See 2nd post for link*

I know not all of us use iOS, so I checked the 2 Android devices that I have, Moto Z and Nvidia Shield, (which I use the shield to fly) and they also use this for location accuracy.

I have read that some can clear up the green screen problem among other connection problems sometimes by turning off WiFi which makes me wonder if we were actually turning it off when we hit the WiFi quick switch. I didn't know of this extra step so I wasn't. Apparently, unless you go to (Android) Settings--Location-- three dots in top right corner, and disabling WiFi scanning, your not actually turning off your WiFi. (Don't have my mini 4 to check right now) Also, if WiFi scanning is enabled, scanning settings show up in your WiFi setting. If it's already disabled, it won't show up there.

I know enabling airplane mode would turn it off but I was unaware of the other method until now.

Interesting to hear your thoughts.... And if you want, list your device and whether or not it has this option.

Happy flying!!
Just fly in airplane mode

Reactions: JohnnyB
Just fly in airplane mode
Yes, thanks Phill2. That's the easiest solution of course. The intention was for people like myself who were just using the WiFi quick switch.

I run iOS and simply leave it airplane mode. Not only to disable any incoming phone calls and messages but to prevent any wifi inteference that I used to get when flying within 20 mtrs of my house. As for location, my device has GPS which I need for the orientation radar on the app.

Reactions: JohnnyB

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic