WiFi connection issues

Reaction score
I have seen this glossed over here and there, but not addressed directly. All of the online tutorial videos and ALL of the printed manual insist that the ONLY WiFi network to connect to starts with "Phantom-_1xxxx". I simply cannot find a network with that name. I have re-installed all drivers, software, and updates on the camera, transmitter and range extender. No Luck. The only WiFi option I am presented with is "Phantom_6xxxx". When I select this network, I am able to control the Phantom 2 Vision close by, but am afraid to try it at any extended range, because the manual indicates for extended ranges, only the "Phantom_1xxxx" option will work. Additionally, I JUST purchased this, delivered Christmas Eve, from B&H. However, it appears to be an older model as the transmitter does not have the external micro-USB connecter. Have I been taken advantage of, or does this matter. Thanks in advance!

Apparently Phantom_1xxxxx WAS the only SSID used, but now the Phantom_6xxxxx has
shown up as the "local" WiFi network.

Presumably the documentation should be changed to Phantom_Nxxxxx to be more general.
For now, the N appears to be either 1 or 6, and no others have yet been reported.

happydays said:
I have exactly the same issue. Only showing up _6xxx, but the range that it stays connected is only about 20 feet! My controller also has no USB on the outside. Time to call the dealer, I think!

What device are you u sing to connect to the repeater?

iPhone 5.

Quick update - went into an open area this morning and connected to the Vision - achieved FPV range of over 200m using _6xxx. However over 175m the connection started to drop quite a bit. Wait a few seconds and it reconnected. Also it absolutely chewed up the iPhone battery - 35 mins of flying drained the battery from 75% to about 15%!

The problem I'm having is with the range extender. It shows up in the available WiFi networks on both of my IPhones, 5S and 5. However the camera connection always fails. Camera is on in WiFi position. Range Extender is charged and the system light polls green, I assume communicating with the Phantom 2. All firmware is updated with the exception of camera. DJI App has been reinstalled. The App lists the WiFi Phantom network and polls green. When I go to settings on the App I don't see an SSID.

Just set up my pv for the first time also had phantom_6xxx as the only wifi available. I look some comfort from this forum from previous posts but was still concerned as every instruction and video from dji insists on phantom_1xxx. So I called heliguy in the uk from where i bought the pv but they did not know the answer. Finally I called dji in the USA . They confirmed that phantom_6xxx is fine in fact phantom_anything is ok. The guy I spoke to said he had flown both 1xxxx and 6xxx models but did not know why the numbers had changed. Due to bad weather here have not flown yet but did a simple range test to make sure i was getting signal beyond 20 metres. Hope others in this situation can be rest assured !

The Range Extender works best connected to only one device. If you've connected to Phantom_1xxxxxx or Phantom_6xxxxxx on more than one device and they're sitting nearby, delete the Phantom SSID's from their WiFi or turn OFF the WiFi on all devices except the one you intend to use. This will prevent them from constantly sending requests to the Range Extender trying to renegotiate a connection while its connected to your primary device. Elsewhere on the forum you can search for instructions on how to disable other "features" on phones which seek out & connect to only the strongest WiFi signals in the area over weaker ones such as your Range Extender.

The FPV video stream requires a stable connection before it can display video on your phone thru the Range Extender from the Vision. If unstable, you'll only get partial telemetry but no video.

iDrone

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl