Why US government is afraid of drones

MadMitch88 said:
Meta4 said:
Strap 2 pounds of anything to your Phantom and see if you can fly it towards anything.
So somebody hell-bent on killing the President with Semtex is forced to only use a DJI product to carry out the dirty deed?
You've lost all grip on reality, broh.
Because everyone knows competent assassins only use cemtex.
No .. the morons that put this on public display have lost their tenuous grip on reality.
dhs_drone.jpg

And if there is anyone hell-bent on killing the President, there must be at least a dozen ways that would be much more reliable, easy and practical than with explosives and a drone. That's like something from a B minus Hollywood action flick.

Meta4 said:
And if there is anyone hell-bent on killing the President, there must be at least a dozen ways that would be much more reliable, easy and practical than with explosives and a drone. That's like something from a B minus Hollywood action flick.

I guess I'll have to keep repeating it until you understand ---- "lack of imagination".

It's what kills Presidents and brings down skyscrapers, even though people like you think it could never happen.

Well...Why, for the very first time, did our government train for exactly what happened, and on the same day? They all thought about passenger planes flying into the towers as that was the exercise on 911. It slowed down reactions because many thought the reports, etc. we're just part of the drill.

This OT and O apologize as it is my last post on the subject, but those buildings came down just as if a crew planted explosives to bring it down. Ever see that? These towers came down the same way. For two weeks prior, studies were being made of hidden support columns in all 3 buildings that came down. Building 3 wasn't hit by anything, yet it came down in the same controlled explosive way.

I better shut up or I'll go missing! :)

MadMitch88 said:
Meta4 said:

I guess I'll have to keep repeating it until you understand ---- "lack of imagination".
It's what kills Presidents and brings down skyscrapers, even though people like you think it could never happen.
OK Mitch .. I get it. You lack imagination.
Bad guys will do bad things and they will use whatever they have access to that will help them with their objectives. It's not about what they use. It's about them and what they want to do. If you tried to remove access to technologies that could be used to kill people, where are you going to stop? Guns would have to be top of the list followed by cars, trucks, airplanes, gasoline and a million other useful things right down to table cutlery and our toy drones would be way down the list for threat potential.

Meta4 said:
OK Mitch .. I get it. You lack imagination.

I was talking about your lack of imagination, Sport. I'd like to see you interview for a Secret Service position --- "Uhh, well only guns pose a legitimate threat to the President, so I see no need to prepare for a large UAV that can easily carry 3 lbs. of Semtex from a long distance away to be any concern when considering all possible threats. You only see that stuff in the movies." They'd laugh you right out of the building.

Bad guys will do bad things and they will use whatever they have access to that will help them with their objectives. It's not about what they use. It's about them and what they want to do. If you tried to remove access to technologies that could be used to kill people, where are you going to stop? Guns would have to be top of the list followed by cars, trucks, airplanes, gasoline and a million other useful things right down to table cutlery and our toy drones would be way down the list for threat potential.

You don't seem to understand the first thing about personal security. You plan for contingencies, not people. Get back to the basics.

OK, you've both respond to each other so lets let it go from here and agree to disagree.
Please stay on topic and no personal attacks. Thanks. ;)

Nothing new really,
RC explosives have been a plot device in many fiction stories, way back before even Maxwell Smart was a boy.
Sorry about that chief.. missed it by that much

The sad thing is, that these items don't actually need to be a genuine threat, they just need the media to make them LOOK OR SOUND like a threat, and the hysteria of a gullible public does the rest, and we end up with bans/restrictions/etc that will all be ignored by criminals anyway, and only affect the law abiding.

There are no doubt more practical and accurate ways to kill someone than loading a quad with explosives and hoping to get it into place to do the damage.
In fact, for speed and for silence, I'd say even an RC glider would be a vastly better method, as it would carry more, and make no sound.
But it's not whether drones are an ACTUAL threat that puts the sport at risk, it's the PERCEPTION. They only need to get the public up in arms about them with a few stories about the peeping tom that perves on neighbours with one, a story about the moron that tried to film an emergency airlift helicopter taking off or landing and "nearly caused it to crash", and a few well exaggerated stories by "reporters" giving loads of BS as "facts", and soon you will be fighting bureaucracy at every step.

The radio signals used to control them would be easily swamped or blocked, and a localised high power transmitter sending false GPS signals would prevent pre-programmed GPS coordinates being successful, so if they were ever perceived to be a genuine threat, I'm sure there would be counter measures quite easily set up. Hell, even e perimeter of fine threads around the area your President was going to be, would probably make it damned hard to do anything. Like I said, they're totally impractical as a means of assassination, but that wouldn't get an airing for 2 seconds if the media decide to promote them as dangerous weapons, you'll struggle to have common sense prevail against the hysteria they'll create.

Ezookiel said:
There are no doubt more practical and accurate ways to kill someone than loading a quad with explosives and hoping to get it into place to do the damage.
In fact, for speed and for silence, I'd say even an RC glider would be a vastly better method, as it would carry more, and make no sound.

Wouldn't that RC glider, equipped for such a mission, also be a drone?

Clipper707 said:
Ezookiel said:

Wouldn't that RC glider, equipped for such a mission, also be a drone?

The glider would be a drone. It would be silent. It would depend on thermals and air currents to keep it aloft. Not a good vehicle for death and destruction unless the President was speaking from the top of a mountain or the edge of a sea cliff...

Yep, that's why I said loading a quad.
It's the quads and multirotors that seem to be getting the bad press. Gliders and RC Planes, not so much so. Which intrigues me, as they have a higher carrying capacity.

Im not a fan of any of this nonsense. prosecute the stupid people that do stupid things, and leave the rest of us law abiding citizens alone.

capo81 has absolutely the best response to this issue!

This entire tizzy fit looks like some regulations, or regulators, looking for something to regulate--pure nonsense. That photo of a Phantom with the plastic explosives strapped to it was meant for one thing and on thing only. It was meant to instill FEAR. Fear is one of the strongest motivators there is. Don't believe me? Then look at all of the personal liberties we have been secretly stripped of or worse yet those that we have voluntarily surrendered since 9/11.

Anything can be weaponized--ANYTHING!

As young kids, my brother and I made missiles with wooden dowels, plastic fins, CO2 cartridges filled with kitchen match heads and ignited with a cut away camera flash bulb. We even got into double stages and parachutes. These things would reach the clouds regularly OR blow a hole in our parent's garage-ONCE. The consequences of the latter fit the crime, but we survived. Then we got older and our government taught us how to really blow **** up and kill people and then sent us across the pond to do both, but we survived. Go figure.

A .50 caliber rifle that can be shot accurately more than 1.5 miles and requires a minimum of 7 miles downrange clearance has less regulation than what is being proposed for these "drones" we own. Pure and simple BS!

Like the lady said, "Make enough laws and you will make everyone a criminal." We are well on our way!

I really hope someone has a Phantom filming the idiot who tries to launch the one shown in the photo with real explosives and the fuse lit. I suggest the one doing the filming use the entire 400 ft AGL because some bits and pieces of the idiot and his "terror Phantom" are the only things that will leave the ground, and some just might approach that altitude.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl