Why US government is afraid of drones

ccase39 said:
http://www.wired.com/2015/02/white-house-drone/?mbid=social_fb

Interesting read, especially the part about the tanks.

Great read. Hate to nitpick but it was armored vehicles, not tanks specifically. A tank is an armored vehicle but not all armored vehicles are tanks.

ccase39 said:

It is just like our government to believe a Phantom 2 can lift three pounds of bombs! Why didn't they try to lift 3 pounds before assuming that it is possible, which it is not. The lift weight of a bare Phantom is between 300-400 grams, depending on who you believe. But, NOT 3 pounds!

Things like this makes me ashamed of my government. Because a drunk operator (government employee!) landed a Phantom on the White House lawn, they are all freaked out. Why didn't THEY think about it? Why couldn't they realize that any RC craft could land on the White House lawn?

What about small catapults that can launch a grenade? Maybe they should ban wood, metal and plastics so no one could build one? What about a homemade size hot air balloon that could land on the lawn if the wind was right? Maybe the Secret Service should employ me!!

I suppose they could of strapped the Phantom to 'Little Boy' the atomic bomb... would it fly? No, of course not, but it makes people fear what they don't understand even more. As Flavor Flav says, "Don't believe the hype".

its a good read.
Showing 3 lbs of TNT was more just trying to hit on the message
These things can be used in very bad ways and all you have to do
is think about whats reality in regards to using consumer UAV's
to do things that might be lets say a bit concerning to Law Enforcement.

Like i have been saying all we need to have happen is this :
Classify UAV/Drones on capabilities, strenght of motors, payload weight, range capabilities, etc.
The ones that fall into a classification that has the ability to for example fly over 400ft
would require the aircraft be licensed (Track-able/Traceable) and that pilot flying have
some sort of training and certification.
Then deploy national radar that simply logs flights of those that fit a certain classification and
when someone does something stupid with it we can go to a DB and pull up who was flying at
that time in that area.

Now of course why not just print out a UAV and fly it where ever you want without license or
registration? IDK have not got that far but i think it could all be figured out to at least make
things a bit more transparent and safe for everyone.

PhantomFanatic said:
ccase39 said:

It is just like our government to believe a Phantom 2 can lift three pounds of bombs! Why didn't they try to lift 3 pounds before assuming that it is possible, which it is not. The lift weight of a bare Phantom is between 300-400 grams, depending on who you believe. But, NOT 3 pounds!

Things like this makes me ashamed of my government. Because a drunk operator (government employee!) landed a Phantom on the White House lawn, they are all freaked out. Why didn't THEY think about it? Why couldn't they realize that any RC craft could land on the White House lawn?

What about small catapults that can launch a grenade? Maybe they should ban wood, metal and plastics so no one could build one? What about a homemade size hot air balloon that could land on the lawn if the wind was right? Maybe the Secret Service should employ me!!
I would expect as much. It's the same government that is going to ban sledding because to many people have crashed and gotten injured and instead of taking personal accountability they decide to sue the government because "the government didn't do enough to keep us from hurting ourselves"

I

It's just a reflection on the place not the object, you get one criminal in a society of 100,000 and you build a million dollar prison, we are to silly sometimes.

eckoner said:
its a good read.
Showing 3 lbs of TNT was more just trying to hit on the message
These things can be used in very bad ways and all you have to do
is think about whats reality in regards to using consumer UAV's
to do things that might be lets say a bit concerning to Law Enforcement.

Like i have been saying all we need to have happen is this :
Classify UAV/Drones on capabilities, strenght of motors, payload weight, range capabilities, etc.
The ones that fall into a classification that has the ability to for example fly over 400ft
would require the aircraft be licensed (Track-able/Traceable) and that pilot flying have
some sort of training and certification.
Then deploy national radar that simply logs flights of those that fit a certain classification and
when someone does something stupid with it we can go to a DB and pull up who was flying at
that time in that area.

Now of course why not just print out a UAV and fly it where ever you want without license or
registration? IDK have not got that far but i think it could all be figured out to at least make
things a bit more transparent and safe for everyone.

Sounds like a scary fantasy world you live in.
Just a few points ..
These things can be used in very bad ways
I'm still to see an example of this. It's just a fantasy.
Phantoms are marginally more capable than a baseball or a frisbee.

Showing 3 lbs of plastic explosive attached to a Phantom is fraud and deception.
It's not going to fly. It is no threat.
The kind of people that use this to demonstrate their point should not be trusted with anything.

You want licensing and certification for any toy drone that can fly above 400 feet???
Get real.

Deploy national radar that simply logs flights ...
There is no radar that can do this for our toy drones.
If the government did implement such a system, what would that cost, what benefit would it give and how many millions of completely false positives would swamp the system making it unusable?

And finally .. if it was possible, bad guys aren't going to be handicapped by any of these suggestions.
They'd be better off concentrating on real issues than multicopter fantasies.

ccase39 said:

ok ... if quads are getting all this negative attention why not
rc helicopter
rc planes
rc cars
rc boats

might as well ban lipos to because they could potentially explode...

Im not a fan of any of this nonsense. prosecute the stupid people that do stupid things, and leave the rest of us law abiding citizens alone.

Meta4 said:
Showing 3 lbs of plastic explosive attached to a Phantom is fraud and deception.
It's not going to fly. It is no threat.
The kind of people that use this to demonstrate their point should not be trusted with anything.

That type of mentality is what caused the Fed. govt. to be asleep at the wheel when 9/11 happened. For 50 years prior to 9-11-2001, NOBODY in any national security agency ever brought up the idea that hijackers could fly large commercial planes into heavily-populated buildings and bring them crashing down, even though it was always a hypothetical threat.

Even a measly 1 or 2 lbs. of Semtex strapped to a Phantom and flown at the President's head during a public speaking engagement is a VERY serious concern they need to prepare for. I don't know the Secret Service could defend against that, esp. if it dropped straight down and they had very little time to hear it coming.

"That type of mentality is what caused the Fed. govt. to be asleep at the wheel when 9/11 happened. For 50 years prior to 9-11-2001, NOBODY in any national security agency ever brought up the idea that hijackers could fly large commercial planes into heavily-populated buildings and bring them crashing down, even though it was always a hypothetical threat."

Not quite right, there are many reports of this exact scenario that could happen through the years, I believe on The Day they were training for such a thing, a simple search will give many hours reading, as for "crashing down" lets not mention building 7, I didn't.

Because our government doesn't hire people with any intelligence. If I wanted to, but I don't, a dream plane, soon to be in my collection, can easily carry 2.5lbs. of explosives OR another flight battery or easily another Hero camera.

But, if you look up at my future plane, I hope UAV will cross an observer's mind! Better yet, they won't hear it or see it!

I, personally, think our hobby is getting SO far into the medis's mind, that almost anything we fly will be perceived as a drone. Our hobby has never been such a focus of the media. Not in my lifetime, anyway!

steveeds said:
"That type of mentality is what caused the Fed. govt. to be asleep at the wheel when 9/11 happened. For 50 years prior to 9-11-2001, NOBODY in any national security agency ever brought up the idea that hijackers could fly large commercial planes into heavily-populated buildings and bring them crashing down, even though it was always a hypothetical threat."

Not quite right, there are many reports of this exact scenario that could happen through the years, I believe on The Day they were training for such a thing, a simple search will give many hours reading, as for "crashing down" lets not mention building 7, I didn't.

Actually they were training on a scenario of planes hitting both towers. Never before had our government done this training episode. Watch, on Netflix (Free) the documentary called : "911, loose change." Watch all of it. Some went over my head, but I developed a new mindset from this. You MUST keep your mind on and you much watch it all. Some doesn't jive, but too much did, for me.

I fully agree, this "hype" will only get worse. They will use these small things as a tool to distract while important issues will not reach the public, they are already being misrepresented and a fear factor is slowly being installed.

If the general public was to be made aware of the real real-time surveillance on them then a proper perspective would be available of our wee toys, Steve said there were always the fringe idiots in everything, you can't make them the normal.

The Government don't care they just see opportunities.

Phantom, yes I did watch it through, I watched many weeks of dare I say all the videos trying to get a general overall view and look past the fear, iIm disturbed of the so called "facts" of this but there are some solid events that are agreed on that we can hold onto as being correct. I may be wrong and I'll take what you said and thanks, there was so much to take in and i'm not the sharpest knife in the washing basket.

This is not off topic as I recon we will all see as it unfolds

eckoner said:
Then deploy national radar that simply logs flights of those that fit a certain classification and when someone does something stupid with it we can go to a DB and pull up who was flying at that time in that area.
This is an idea that would only contribute to the fear and ignorance of small UAVs. Mostly ignorance.

Since 2012 the FAA has been building the NextGen Air Traffic Control system to make airline flight more efficient. The budget cost is $40 Billion and would mostly benefit airline service into about 350 airports in the US.
And you want to develop a system that would cover the whole USA and be able to tell a drone from a bird to catch someone breaking your imaginary 400 ft limit? And, so what if you find a drone at 401 ft and spend thousands of dollars of police time - how do you prove who was flying it?

Even if you could deploy such an Orwellian system, what makes you think it would stop with drones?

The US is not afraid of drones, you are.

Can you imagine what it would be like living in that sort of world?
If you can believe in some sort of sci-fi futuristic radar that could be watching each and every little drone's flight
down in the near ground altitude they inhabit. And then to have a government knowing who was flying what, where?
It's scary that there are people that think this would be good.
It's good that it's way beyond the capabilities of our technology.

Meta4 said:
Strap 2 pounds of anything to your Phantom and see if you can fly it towards anything.

So somebody hell-bent on killing the President with Semtex is forced to only use a DJI product to carry out the dirty deed?

You've lost all grip on reality, broh.

steveeds said:

Running drills doesnt do jack **** except teach you how to run a drill.

All it took was a few higher ups at the NSA to entertain the idea of hijackers flying planes into large skycrapers --- and then Congress would have mandated locked cockpit doors as early as 1975 or so. But everyone was only thinking about bombs.

It's really as simple as that. Richard Clarke said it best --- 9/11 happened because of group-think and failure of imagination.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl