WHY IS IT SO ? new upgrade software for V1.1.1.1 ?

Reaction score
Hello,

Please help, I need to know from someone who knows.

I have a question, I do not understand, WHY IS IT SO ?

The specs for the Phantom 2 vision is the same as Phantom V1.1.1 same motors same FC , etc.

However one real difference is a much bigger & heavier battery used in the Phantom vision.

How is it so, that the vision with big battery weighs more yet can carry more payload, gimbal & special camera , etc.

Flight times also are much longer 25mins vs 10mins ?

How is this so ? heavier battery, more payload, gimbal, special camera, wifi connectivity etc

Vs Phantom V1.1.1 with just a plastic GoPro mount ????

What has DJI done, have they changed the firmware or software ?

if so my quesion is, can the V1.1.1.1 be upgraded as it uses the same Naza V2 FC

can you find answers please or direct me to someone who can ,

cheers

The main difference with the P2 is indeed the larger battery, and tighter integration of components resulting in slightly less weight. That, and newer, more efficient 9.4" props, allow the P2 to have more than double the flight time of the P1. There's nothing that boosts performance in the firmware.

Some of us have modded our Phantom 1s to exceed the performance and flight times of the Phantom 2s. You don't have to change the motors or ESCs, but you do need better props, a bigger battery, and some creative weight savings. It all depends on how much effort and money you want to put into it :)

ElGuano said:
The main difference with the P2 is indeed the larger battery, and tighter integration of components resulting in slightly less weight. That, and newer, more efficient 9.4" props, allow the P2 to have more than double the flight time of the P1. There's nothing that boosts performance in the firmware.

Some of us have modded our Phantom 1s to exceed the performance and flight times of the Phantom 2s. You don't have to change the motors or ESCs, but you do need better props, a bigger battery, and some creative weight savings. It all depends on how much effort and money you want to put into it :)

how come ?

I am using ( as most are now,) the P2 props etc, & I add extra batteries already,

so where & what are the weigh savings you mention ?

guess if you weren't carrying a GoPro & flying naked it maybe lighter, so what are " some creative weight savings "

you refer too ? Most of the phantom pilots want to take video so how do you do it ?

what is the life of 2200 batteries ? mine do charge fully to 12.60V

crashmaniac said:
how come ?

I am using ( as most are now,) the P2 props etc, & I add extra batteries already,

so where & what are the weigh savings you mention ?

guess if you weren't carrying a GoPro & flying naked it maybe lighter, so what are " some creative weight savings "

you refer too ? Most of the phantom pilots want to take video so how do you do it ?

what is the life of 2200 batteries ? mine do charge fully to 12.60V

A lot time ago (like several months back), I had what was probably one of the lighter Phantoms around. With 5200mah battery, gimbal, gopro, isod, 600mw FPV, it was at about 1175g, and flew 21 minutes (and my gimbal was one of the heavier ones, too). Without the camera equipment, it was under 950g and flew for over 30 minutes.

I used lighter landing gear than stock, soldered my own battery packs so I wouldn't have to add weight with mounting hardware and parallel cables for dual-batteries, uncased accessories like the PMU and iOSD, trimmed excess material off the gimbal, replaced all the wiring with thin-gauge and redid all soldering, carved extra material off the mainboard, etc. Most people running the same hardware were at ~1350-1400g.

Nowadays there's very little point in doing all that. You can buy 3S2P batteries, Zenmuse gimbals are exceedingly light and half the price they were when introduced, and the P2 has features like canbus built right in to the mainboard. Some minor modification of a P2 and you can have everything at around 1250g, for almost no work.

2200mah batteries last about 10-12 minutes on a naked phantom, and 6-8 minutes gimbaled. 12.60v is the ideal fully charged state for 3S lipos so you're right on the money. They'll last several hundred cycles if you take care of them.

crashmaniac said:
Thanks, what are " buy 3S2P batteries," ?

please more info

You can physically fit two 2200 (up to 2800) mah batteries inside the Phantom if you widen the opening and cut away the inside battery rails in the shell. Running batteries this way and still providing 3S power involves hooking up or soldering the batteries in parallel, so you have 3 cells in series across 2 in parallel. 3S2P. This is the only format that fits, and for a while nobody sold them that way, so you had to make your own. Now, the Phantom 2 uses it, Walkera uses it, and several other battery manufacturers have released 3S2P batteries with the 105mm x 35mm x 50mm dimensions that fit in the shell as well. So you can buy them easily, rather than go to the trouble and risk of making your own.

ElGuano said:
crashmaniac said:
Thanks, what are " buy 3S2P batteries," ?

please more info

You can physically fit two 2200 (up to 2800) mah batteries inside the Phantom if you widen the opening and cut away the inside battery rails in the shell. Running batteries this way and still providing 3S power involves hooking up or soldering the batteries in parallel, so you have 3 cells in series across 2 in parallel. 3S2P. This is the only format that fits, and for a while nobody sold them that way, so you had to make your own. Now, the Phantom 2 uses it, Walkera uses it, and several other battery manufacturers have released 3S2P batteries with the 105mm x 35mm x 50mm dimensions that fit in the shell as well. So you can buy them easily, rather than go to the trouble and risk of making your own.

tis abit of a catch 22, add 2 batteries in parallel & u have more weigh problem,

is there motors that will fit phantom body that be more powerful for lift & running time ?

It is a catch-22, that's why it's important to mindful of saving as much weight as possible when upgrading.

There are some upgrade motors available but you won't get more flight time out of them.

ElGuano said:
It is a catch-22, that's why it's important to mindful of saving as much weight as possible when upgrading.

There are some upgrade motors available but you won't get more flight time out of them.

Do you know who makes or supplies those new batteries you speak of, other than the special size Phantom battery which are way too high priced !

cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic