Why I don't use hdr much

Reaction score
Obviously, it must use several exposures to achieve a higher dynamic range, but things moving quickly sure give some odd effects.
DJI_0453.JPG

Reactions: MTO
That is odd but sort of cool too.
If you look at the bird at full size, you can see the sky through the wings where the exposure is high. I went back & re-shot the job with hdr off & an 8nd filter fitted. Quite a bit cleaner. It was blowing quite hard & I think the p3a was moving around a bit while the two [or is it 3] exposures were taken.

Obviously, it must use several exposures to achieve a higher dynamic range, but things moving quickly sure give some odd effects.View attachment 91062
Was that the built-in HDR feature?
A better solution is to use AEB bracketing and do your own HDR processing.
Most of the HDR programs like Photomatix automatically recognise and remove ghots or allow you to have control over ghost removal.

Reactions: BigAl07
Was that the built-in HDR feature?
A better solution is to use AEB bracketing and do your own HDR processing.
Most of the HDR programs like Photomatix automatically recognise and remove ghots or allow you to have control over ghost removal.

I learned this from @Meta4 and it's been awesome. We now shoot almost everything in AEB (3 or more) and once in a while we have to delete a frame or two but more often than not it's the key to an amazing shot.

I learned this from @Meta4 and it's been awesome. We now shoot almost everything in AEB (3 or more) and once in a while we have to delete a frame or two but more often than not it's the key to an amazing shot.
That sounds like a good way around it, and yes, that was the built-in HDR. It also takes forever to process & record it - you don't have realtime fpv for about 15 seconds.

That sounds like a good way around it, and yes, that was the built-in HDR. It also takes forever to process & record it - you don't have realtime fpv for about 15 seconds.
This is why AEB is the way to go. You do the processing/combining of images later at your leisure.

Got to agree with BigA107. All of my shots are taken with AEB. Five exposures and then processed at my leisure, and in the warm using Macphun Aurora, and some other goodies too. I also make sure I shoot in DNG too. Go for it, you will not be disappointed and you can spend more time shooting out with your drone.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic