Why did you crash?

this is by far the best topic so far so funny. it just go to show how stupid we can be at times my self included this is helping put a smile back on my face until I get my p2v back from DJI after a crash not my fault power loss fault from 200ft up on to hard ground loads of damage bits all over would have made a great jigsaw puzzle (main board fault ) what have learnt expect the unexpected and have loads of spears

The two times I've really crashed hard (yes, very dumb of me, I swear I'll never that again) is it was dark/dusk outside and I didn't realize there was a tree branch sticking out so I flew it up, hit the tree branch and came right back down. Arg.

On a beach without a single obstacle around but a light pole. Overconfident, thought I could fly around it. Misjudged the distance and flew smack into it.

Total Rookie mistake only crash 100+ flights★this was my 2nd flight★ wanting to show off to friend how the (return to home feature) worked. ●Was in my front yard flying a few meters high and shut off remote contol. ★Opps★!!!
●Forgot to read section in owners manuel regarding what will happen if you do this with tree branches 20 meters overhead!!! Too the moon Alice★BANG★ZOOM★CRASH★
Results:◆ $500.00 New Camera◆$150.00 New Battery◆Defluated Ego from friends ribbing.....

Moose

I was onboard a ship for two months (my work) and came back home and decided to fly right away - I started with a FPV signal loss and a stupid manoeuvre to get the view back... and later went on to do what can be seen on the video... Really stupid pilot error, oh well... ;-)

http://youtu.be/AamyAC3umqQ

rnrnrn said:
I was onboard a ship for two months (my work) and came back home and decided to fly right away - I started with a FPV signal loss and a stupid manoeuvre to get the view back... and later went on to do what can be seen on the video... Really stupid pilot error, oh well... ;-)

Of course two people were watching...at least you didnt hit them!

bronk33 said:
rnrnrn said:

Of course two people were watching...at least you didnt hit them!

Looks like you were showing those people how it climbs trees!

bronk33 said:
I've crashed twice. My first flight, I descended way too fast and it crashed on gravel road, flipped upside down and ruined all 4 props, but thankfully no other damage.

Crash #2, I was drinking a few beers and crashed completely into a neighbors palm tree. Ruined all 4 props again and camera fell off but no other damage.
I know there was someone testing "drinking and flying" on here...just don't do it. Even if it's 2 beers. You will crash.

First time flying over water, I had the battery descending...I had no idea what was going on, but I can assure you my heart rate was probably 200bpm!

LOL,this happened to me too.It was at night and misjudged how high tree was,it spent the night in the tree.
Other 2 times i've crashed I think were because my e-clips popped off engine,why i dont know.

jimdenburg said:
Okay...I have some experience here! The one common denominator in my crashes (there have been several), has been trees. As much as they are my nemesis, I can't help but fly around them as I have so many around my house! That said, I've been fortunate enough to not have any super-expensive repairs as a result of some pretty violent crashes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tg9ZkVVzAg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlFyBMyg3LI[/youtube]

I've actually done most of my flying over a frozen lake, which while cold, was ideal for unobstructed flying. I did have a near crash over the ice. This happened immediately after doing a quick pass in ATTI mode, coming to a stop and decending. I think this is the "ring vortex state" or something, but whatever the case, it was wobbling and falling and I had no control until it leveled off about a foot off the ice and I gassed it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw4Ej41niO8[/youtube]

Great videos,love the sound effects.What editing software do you use?

I have had the usual bumps when I fist got mine. You ken the ones, take off, look for the nearest bush or tree, then head strait for it. Other than that, I have been fine so far.

What I do do though is always wait for home lock, then take off and hover at head hight to see if the vision is functioning correct (is it staying in one place) If it does not and is drifting all over, I hand land and then do the Phantom dance. That has fixed it every time.

:shock:

I've only had my PV2 for a short time and I came down hard in the deep snow once on my second flight. I was heading for a tree and got my stick thinking backwards and gave it a hard down command. No damage.

The second crash was a little more scary. I did the software/firmware update and now that I think back I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I went into the driveway and got all set to take it for a test flight. The PV2 rose about a metre then I lost all control as it came at me then hit the side of my garage and down on the ground. Two props were shattered. I changed all four props and did a compass calibration and it flew like a champ. I guess I should have calibrated the compass after the update.

Another set of props on order *blush*

jumper said:
I've only had my PV2 for a short time and I came down hard in the deep snow once on my second flight. I was heading for a tree and got my stick thinking backwards and gave it a hard down command. No damage.

The second crash was a little more scary. I did the software/firmware update and now that I think back I wasn't really sure what I was doing. I went into the driveway and got all set to take it for a test flight. The PV2 rose about a metre then I lost all control as it came at me then hit the side of my garage and down on the ground. Two props were shattered. I changed all four props and did a compass calibration and it flew like a champ. I guess I should have calibrated the compass after the update.

Another set of props on order *blush*

Reminds me of way back in...February? It was a cold, unforgiving Saturday in WI. A friend stopped over, and while enjoying a few beers, I thought I'd show off my new toy. My home is on a hillside and at that point, I had mastered taking off from the deck ( among the trees), flying out over the lake & then doing a fly-by directly overhead. I used the APP to determine the necessary altitude in order to clear the many surrounding trees.

Somehow I miscalculated on the numbers for at least one prominent tree, so I ended up going full-throttle directly over us in spectacular fashion, then seconds later hearing the horrible sound of cold plastic hitting petrified wood. We rounded the deck just in time to witness that whole ****-n-shibang falling to the snow-covered ground.

After scambling to the scene, I was able to locate the craft, flashing and whining in about 2 ft of snow. I picked it up and the camera was gone! So I told my friend and my neighbor who had shown up to see what that horrible sound (the one of cold hard plastic hitting petrified wood), was, to just not walk around and look for a hole in the snow. A minute later I found the hole, pulled up the FC200 camera and raised it in the air in victory! (I did say we were enjoying a few beers).

So I blew all the snow off her, took it inside and put everything back together (camera connections, the dampening plate and 4 new props), fired it up and it flew like a champ. A little wobble from unbalanced props but man! I couldn't get over how much of a beating could take.

These days, my crashes have caught up with me a bit--I have a new shell and a new esc sitting next to my dormant Phantom as I type this. While I'm SO sick of this brutal winter we've had, I do cherish the snow as a crash-landing pad.

Wish I knew...

My last crash, the Phantom just shutdown in mid air and plummeted from the sky. I just finished all the repairs (replacement landing gear, camera mount, etc).

My initial analysis was that it has to be one of the following, since all 4 motors stopped at the same time (actually it fell down perfectly horizontal, so all motors must have stopped simultaneously):
- Battery failure
- Main power-leads
- Main board / Naza module

The thing that scares me however is that I have not been able to find the root-cause for the crash. At first I thought it must be a loose wire or something, so I opened up the shell, and looked for any loose wires or bad solder joints, could not find any.
Next I switched on the motors, and used a pincet to "shake" all the wires individually, to see if there is any bad cable etc. No results.
I remembered that prior to the crash, IOC automatically disengaged, which might be the result of a very short interruption of the power, so I put my Phantom in IOC mode and repeated the steps before, hoping that IOC would disengage which would be the indication of a short break in the power. No results.
Next, I just shake my Phantom like it experiencing very bad vibrations, No results.

So I am a little scared to fly again, since I could not find the root cause, so it could happen any time again. For now, I decided not to use the battery that was involved in the crash anymore (maybe it was a battery issue, but I do not have the means to verify that :-(). Also, I will keep an eye on disengaging IOC. And of course be careful where I fly. (not over houses, people, etc).

Regards Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik