Why did you crash?

I once decided to drain the battery after a flight by letting the Phantom sit on the ground in the garage, running on idle. Yeah, with the propellers on to avoid overheating the motors. While I was doing something else - what a moron... Anyway, after a while it got tired of idling, so it revved up to fly home and flew straight into a wall. Two propellers got chipped, but amazingly no other damage, not even a scratch or a mark. I replaced all four propellers, but it could have been a total disaster.

//Tom

I once decided to drain the battery after a flight by letting the Phantom sit on the ground in the garage, running on idle. Yeah, with the propellers on to avoid overheating the motors. While I was doing something else - what a moron... Anyway, after a while it got tired of idling, so it revved up to fly home and flew straight into a wall. Two propellers got chipped, but amazingly no other damage, not even a scratch or a mark. I replaced all four propellers, but it could have been a total disaster.

//Tom
Well, now I know how not to drain the battery.

Attempted a one way long distance flight with P3 Standard using Litchi waypoints where I would drive and meet it at the destination. The flight went around a 600ft hill of forest. I didn't know Smart RTH was enabled and it turned around less than a half a mile from the destination where I was waiting. It was at 400ft which is what my RTH altitude was set at so it didn't climb any higher on the return. It flew right into the middle of the forest. Found it with Marco Polo and only suffered broken props. Not a scratch anywhere else and it still flies.

Reactions: dirkclod
Attempted a one way long distance flight with P3 Standard using Litchi waypoints where I would drive and meet it at the destination. The flight went around a 600ft hill of forest. I didn't know Smart RTH was enabled and it turned around less than a half a mile from the destination where I was waiting. It was at 400ft which is what my RTH altitude was set at so it didn't climb any higher on the return. It flew right into the middle of the forest. Found it with Marco Polo and only suffered broken props. Not a scratch anywhere else and it still flies.

I think I saw that video
Great rescue

I think I saw that video
Great rescue
Thanks. At the time I didn't know it was Smart RTH or even understood what it was exactly. I was confused and didn't know why it aborted the mission. But now it makes sense.

Ok, I have to ask, do you try to crash it? ROFL
Don't wait for him to answer ya Romo , that post was from April of 2014.
Dave hadn't been on in 10 weeks :)

Reactions: Romonaga
Crashed because RTH was set for home area but needed more height for the area I was in. It topped a tree on RTH, I now keep it set for 350 feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues