Why can't I fly further than 500m now?

Reaction score
I have just recently started flying my P3S again after a few months of being stored away and have found It is now limited to 500m distance. Is there anyway of over riding this?

Did you disable the "Enable Max Distance" setting in DJI GO?

DJI-GO-Maximum-Distance.jpg

Yup I've tried that but is still stopping me from going passed 500m. Enable max distance is on but has a 500m limit box right below it. It sucks
Post #2 asked: Did you disable the "Enable Max Distance" setting.
And your answer was that it's enabled.

That setting is to have a Max Distance limit.
If you don't want a Max Distance limit, disable the Enable Max Distance setting

Post #2 asked: Did you disable the "Enable Max Distance" setting.
And your answer was that it's enabled.

That setting is to have a Max Distance limit.
If you don't want a Max Distance limit, disable the Enable Max Distance setting
I've tried with it on and off. I will get out tomorrow and do some more testing just in case I have missed a step along the way. Thanks heaps for the help

Whether there's an update or not won't make any difference to the issue you described.
Prior to me packing it away a few months ago I was getting well over a km with no issues but it seems something in the app has changed by itself during this time. Hope to get it sorted. I don't normally need more than 500m but I would like to have the option. I'm going to nz next month and know of some
Amazing isolated locations and beaches that the extra distance would come in handy.

Prior to me packing it away a few months ago I was getting well over a km with no issues but it seems something in the app has changed by itself during this time.
People tend to automatically blame the app and firmware for all kinds of things that are quite unrelated.
Does your Phantom stop at exactly 500 metres?
Does it show any message when you get to 500 metres?

People tend to automatically blame the app and firmware for all kinds of things that are quite unrelated.
Does your Phantom stop at exactly 500 metres?
Does it show any message when you get to 500 metres?

It stops bang on 500m and tells me I have reached maximum distance.
No warning before hand. I will do some extensive testing tomorrow. Just a quick question do I have to close the app, turn off bother the phantom and the remote then turn it all back on to save the new settings?

I'm pretty new to the whole drone thing but I don't think there is a new update. How would I know?
You'll see a prompt to update the firmware in DJI GO when an update is available.

do I have to close the app, turn off bother the phantom and the remote then turn it all back on to save the new settings?
No.

Make sure your Phantom is connected to DJI GO when updating that setting.

Prior to me packing it away a few months ago I was getting well over a km with no issues
I'm going to nz next month
I don't think there is a new update. How would I know?
No doubt you need to disable the distance limit setting as mentioned in the first reply. That will instantly fix the 500m thing.

On another topic since it was brought up, I'll add that if it were me I would not make FW changes right before a trip if everything was already working with no issues. Chances are that everything would still be fine, but why risk it so soon before you want to use your P3 while traveling? Just something to think about. Cheers!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonnyk82
It stops bang on 500m and tells me I have reached maximum distance.
do I have to close the app, turn off bother the phantom and the remote then turn it all back on to save the new settings?
That's telling you that you have a Max Distance limit enabled and this has nothing to do with firmware updates.
If you don't want the limit, switch it off.
To save this setting, you have to have the app connected to the Phantom when you make the changes.
This is because it is saved in the Phantom - not the app.

Reactions: Sonnyk82

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl