Why 6 Satellites?

lizard said:
Better question could be why not 22 satellites, PV2+ have so much interference onboard, DJI needs to assure, the reception is at least somehow working, so the 6 is required in precautionary manner.
See my post there : http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17007
Whole PV2+ GPS reception is actually screwed by the parasitic RF radiation from poorly shielded and poorly designed camera subsystem.

Did you actually also do a test with the camera disconnected? Would it be easy to shield the radiation coming from the camera?

Dadcat said:
xgeek said:
Oh it's GPS plan for the iPhone

It makes absolutely no sense for the Phantom to go into a Non-GPS mode at 5 satellites while it's in the air. With only 3 satellites you'll almost always have positional accuracy within 100 feet or so. That's good enough to get your quad back within visual control range with Homelock or RTH. But you're certain to get "fly aways" with 5 satellites the way it's set now.

My point exactly. So my question is this: At what point is it detrimental to use satellites if in fact you have lost connectivity to the controller? is it 3? 2? It has to be less than 6. If the bird has 4, I say bring it home.

xgeek said:
By default GPS Plan has the elevation mask set for 15 degrees. You may want to raise or lower that depending on your take off location (I have set mine to 10 degrees as I am in an open location)
Where is this done?

denofr said:
xgeek said:
By default GPS Plan has the elevation mask set for 15 degrees. You may want to raise or lower that depending on your take off location (I have set mine to 10 degrees as I am in an open location)
Where is this done?

Press the little gear button at the top right of the opening screen.

Vortex Ring

Vortex Ring: Great information - unfortunately I learned the hard way. My P2 fell from about 30' while I was descending straight down (no forward movement). Even full power wouldn't help me recover. I now make all my descents with a forward flight path much like a fixed wing plane would do.

Dadcat said:
denofr said:
xgeek said:
Where is this done?

Press the little gear button at the top right of the opening screen.
Ok, this is for the IPhone app 'GPS Plan' which is not available for Android.

denofr said:
Ok, this is for the IPhone app 'GPS Plan' which is not available for Android.

I'm surprised since it's an ad supported app. I looked but couldn't find anything like it on the Play Store. I'm okay cause I have both iPhone and Android with me when I fly. Maybe something like this will at least give you a sense of what's up there now and where they are.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... llitecheck

I don't know if "GPS Plan" is even accurate. Be interesting to compare its "prediction" of current satellite locations with what this one is showing live. The compass on my Nexus 7 is so flakey I don't know if it would be useful for that.

Re: Vortex Ring

Fredski said:
Vortex Ring: Great information - unfortunately I learned the hard way. My P2 fell from about 30' while I was descending straight down (no forward movement). Even full power wouldn't help me recover. I now make all my descents with a forward flight path much like a fixed wing plane would do.

What version of firmware are you running? I thought this was fix by reducing the decent speed to <3 m/s

Dadcat said:
Maybe something like this will at least give you a sense of what's up there now and where they are.

I don't know if "GPS Plan" is even accurate. Be interesting to compare its "prediction" of current satellite locations with what this one is showing live. The compass on my Nexus 7 is so flakey I don't know if it would be useful for that.
I got out my 19 year old Garmin GPS 45 handheld. The satellite screen on it compared very closely with what GPS Plan calculated. I think the app is probably more accurate than that ancient GPS since it's using a much more capable processor.

GPS Plan isn't dependant on a full time data connection. I tried putting my phone in airplane mode and dialed the date in GPS Plan forward 5 years. At 1:00 pm, June 7, 2019, there will only be 5 satellites viewable from my location.

Dadcat said:
Dadcat said:
Maybe something like this will at least give you a sense of what's up there now and where they are.

I got out my 19 year old Garmin GPS 45 handheld. The satellite screen on it compared very closely with what GPS Plan calculated. I think the app is probably more accurate than that ancient GPS since it's using a much more capable processor.

GPS Plan isn't dependant on a full time data connection. I tried putting my phone in airplane mode and dialed the date in GPS Plan forward 5 years. At 1:00 pm, June 7, 2019, there will only be 5 satellites viewable from my location.

The Almanac Data is fairly accurate, as there is very little decay in these satellites' orbit. Even so, Kepelerian Elements are still updated periodically. The Almanac data is updated with any changes in orbit to reflect the future prediction of satellite position and orbit.

Not sure how these sats are corrected; kick motors, magnatorquing or ??.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20