Whitemarsh Hall

What is left of the Stotesbury Estate..........

Excellent job of flying and filming not to mention your editing a choice of music - great work. Thank you for posting - love the history behind places like these.

Sad story behind that place --------- and what a crime they demolished it - a total loss of some great architecture from its time!

300px-Whitemarsh_Hall.jpg
250px-WhitemarshHallGardens.jpg
022e0ee3bbc16ca05c245ec3ad109cc5.jpg

Whitemarsh Hall consisted of 6 stories (3 of which were partly or fully underground), 147 rooms, 45 bathrooms, 100,000 square feet, and specialty rooms including a ballroom, gymnasium, movie theatre, and even a refrigerating plant. The owner back in the 1920's said it cost over a million bucks to maintain it annually!

Imagine that place being sold to a Chemical Company for the paltry sum of $167k - wow.

Reactions: FASTFJR
Thanks!

My friends and I grew up in the neighborhood of what was once the third largest private residence in the United States. Today, it is regarded as one of the great losses in American architectural history. We would spend hours exploring the house with its 3 levels of basements. More than once we would run out of rope trying to the end of the service tunnel.

Here's a link for background info if anyone is interested.......Whitemarsh Hall - Main Page and Site Map

Here is a link to a 3D Map I also did......http://drdp.ly/M682wZ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31