Which T-Motor is best?

Reaction score
I can't seem to find any comparo's between the T-Motor MT2216-900 and the T-Motor MN2214 920 AntiGravity models. Anyone have insight into which version offers better performance overall for a heavier Phantom setup?

Thank You!

Both of them are good motors in the phantom. I run the 2214 and got them over the 2216 due to the 2214 having the same propeller fitting as the stock motors. Power output would be relatively the same. Both motors contain sealed bearings and are easy to install. I crimped the wires instead of soldering onto the esc for fear of melting or damaging the esc's. I can also swap motors easier. Some other guys on here run the 2216 and they also seem very happy. I find my 2214's are slightly quieter than standard and have increased my flight time to over 8 mins at 1156g on 2200mah 60C battery and 9in tri blade props. Either way you will be happy with your choice.

Thank you boat chaser, this has been very informative. I too will do the crimping method, so thank you for that idea as well. This is to replace motors that were damaged by someone reinstalling the longer prop-guard screws without the guards in place. WATCH OUT for this fliers!

I am intrigued by the 9050 tri-blades, but want to find them in a stiffer design due to vibration concerns. Seems like a great marketing opportunity for third party prop designers.

Cheers!

If your going to crimp the wires remove the old motor and cut the wires about an inch off the old motor. Install new motor and you will find the t-motor wires are not coloured. No problem, all you need to do is pick a ground wire (I picked the far left grey wire)then the other 2 wires control motor direction. Once you get the first motor running the right direction then you will know how to wire up the rest of the motors.

I flattened the t-motor wires from the motor and identified left, middle and right wire. I used left wire to connect to all ground wires running off the esc. Once I worked out the order for example middle - red/yellow or right - red/yellow and test run in idle to make sure it was going in the right direction. I then understood the sequence. Because you have cut the wires of the old motor the wires you are connecting to are already alternating so once you work out the first motor it is very easy to do the rest. Also shrink wrap your connections as they will lie on the esc's

boat chaser said:
...I find my 2214's are slightly quieter than standard and have increased my flight time to over 8 mins at 1156g on 2200mah 60C battery and 9in tri blade props...

Wow, how are you doing?

I have basically the same configuration:
- Weight of about 1200 grams
- Antigravity! motory
- 9 "propeller CF (classic two blades)
- Flight time of about 6.5 minutes

Had the battery had enough?

tri blades props?

boat chaser said:
Forgot to mention I also use tri blades rather than twin blade. I'm getting over 1 minute more flight time compared with twin blade props. Twin blade I am lucky to get 7 minutes.
This is interesting because the three-blade propeller anyone tested (on RCgroups) with poor results, and those with them, you have an even longer flight time (!). A behavior of the Your aircraft? How do You set gains ?
What's propeller, do you have any link?

Yesterday I ordered a special carbon 2battery holders (weight just 15g), incl. Y power cable for 2 batteries, I must pick up my flight time, so can not shoot at all ...

Im using mt 2216-kv900 also with the 9050 triblades that Boat Chaser is using and can confirm better performance or battery life depending on how its flown. They have significantly more lift then any 2 bladed props I have tried so they do much better with a heavy phantom.

The motors have no issues with these props and as can be seen in drastic loss of performance with every gram beyond a stock phantom weight with the regular 2 blade 8 or even 9 inch props struggle to lift it. This means with 9050x3 props they run at lower RPM for regular flying but will also be more agile and can get some much greater speed out of it in ATTI or manual mode flying.

The hover throttle percentage between stock props and the triblades is very different when in manual mode and it clearly shows these props have much more lift, it actually use less power if you fly them much the same as you would stock props. Pushing it hard in manual will cut the time down but your performance is also much greater.

I did hear bad things about triblades before I tried them, I got the mt-2216 motors to make it easy to try other props so I figured it cant hurt. My early prop tests showed different props had very big effects on lift which also meant those with less lift had much shorter flight times so I figured its worth trying more prop. Using 9 inch triblades are basically the largest props you could possible fit on a phantom and I am loving them on mine ever since my first flight with them. 8040x3 props were a bit of a fail as its quite unstable with them but the 9050x3 flys better then any other props and more efficient or faster depending on how you fly. So I see them as a win win ;)

l5pi.jpg

Here is some manual mode flying with this setup.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jTnb-szvYE[/youtube]

Beautiful and fast, I'm with those three blade very surprised.
What are your settings for Gains in Naza?

I have pretty much just used stock gains mostly, early on I was just getting the feel of these and didnt experiment much with gains. Since then its been very windy and so little point adjusting gains but I did up gains to 140 in a windy test and it wasnt too bad. I will give the gains a bit of a tweak next chance I get in calm conditions but as they are still fairly soft you dont want to be pushing into carbon prop gain levels I think.

Man those are sweet props. I wonder if the 2214 Anti-Grav's would handle them? I just dropped $189 on those so I am loathe to order the 2216's now, but I guess I can try the tri-blades on the Anti-Grav's and see if they run too hot. I'm going to guess there is no impact on the ESCs since if anything your motors are turning slower now. Nice. :)

MrMediaGuy said:
Man those are sweet props. I wonder if the 2214 Anti-Grav's would handle them? I just dropped $189 on those so I am loathe to order the 2216's now, but I guess I can try the tri-blades on the Anti-Grav's and see if they run too hot. I'm going to guess there is no impact on the ESCs since if anything your motors are turning slower now. Nice. :)

I have the tri blades on the 2214's, you just need a prop reamer and ream the props to 8mm. My motors are never hot after use just make sure you balance them and put you prop nuts on tight. You will be pleased.

MrMediaGuy said:

There wouldnt be a very significant difference to the kv920 vs kv900 tiger motors. The 920 will get a little more RPM at max throttle and use a bit more power there but it would still be well within the spec of the 18amp DJI ESC in the phantom. Even the stock motors are I think the same as the ones used in the stock DJI F450 and F550 which are best with 10 inch props though they do have a 30amp ESC with these I suspect a stock motor should be ok with a 9050x3 that is supposedly equivalent to 1040x2 props.

With stock motors being less efficiant then the tiger motors its possible you will be getting closer to the ESC limit running these and why DJI uses a 30amp ESC on their larger quads. But if you go by Tiger motors claim of being 10% more efficient then even stock motors should be ok with these add 10% and another 5% for the kv900 so 15% more load on stock motors using 10*3.8 props would make it need 14.26A at full throttle still well inside the 18A ESC.

Here are the specs of the mt2216 kv 900
20130515051850998.jpg

Going by this the motors could run on a stock 18A ESC up to APC 12*3.8 props with max throttle being 17.3A and the 9050x3 would fit in between the first 2 on the list closer to the 10*38 around 13A at full throttle. The MN2214 spec sheet isnt listed on their site any more for some reason but when I saw it it only showed load with stock 8 inch DJI props. The most significant difference on these is the prop adapter and colour :lol: using any props that fit on the phantom they should both handle it ok.

There was a guy here that bought the mt-2216 kv800 and was having trouble with them, I think the phantom is severely under propped at kv800 using 8inch props and he would probably do ok trying the 9050x3 as his are quite a bit lower RPM then stock and the kv900 so he needs more prop to help generate the lift needed.

Here is a another video I shot just before the gale force winds started a couple weeks ago, here I was pushing it a bit harder then the earlier video but was also testing to see the effect of ND filters so I did a split screen. You get 2 videos for the price of one ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E34obz9qcTw[/youtube]

I too use the Anti Gravity motors, and really like them. As far as reaming out carbon fiber props, I use a solid carbide burr.
It goes through that stuff like a hot knife through butter. (it was designed to drill through ball bearings) Some safes, use
ball bearings in a cassette, to protect the locking mechanism.

The 2216 motors will have a bit more bottom end grunt, but the end performance will be quite similar, 900kv = 9990 rpm,
vs. 920kv = 10,212 rpm. Only 222 rpm difference.

cant wait for the carbon tri blades, if someone will hurry up and make them. :lol:

I bought some from "Windsor Props", that are Carbon filled, like the Graupner props were. I have not had a chance to
try them as of yet though, although I have really high hopes, after reading the praises you guys lavish on the 9050 triblades. ;)

The tri blades I currently use have a very flexible blade so it will be interesting how you go with the stiffer ones. I get an extremely steady hover with the tri's and seems quieter, almost like the motors are not working as hard (as martcerv will attest to). The only problem I have found is not being able to fit the phantom in the case with the props on (first world problem :lol: ). I can't switch back to twins after seeing for real the benefits of these tri's, especially if you are running a heavy rig.

The only problem I have found is not being able to fit the phantom in the case with the props on (first world problem :lol: )

Yes, I just found that out. :( They look so bad ***, though. I can deal with removing them for storage, but the
hub is thicker than any other prop I've got, and I think I'll have to buy 6mm "half nuts" to deal with that.

It will be a while, as I have the Phantom completely dissected at the moment, waiting for the IOSD mini, and BTU modules,
and transferring everything into a new shell.

I'm also playing with the LED's on the ESC's. I don't fly at night, so I was thinking of changing them all to Blue.

Do it man, the first disco phantom, wonder if you can strobe the led.

I've packed the phantom for international flight, off to NZ for annual snowboarding adventures on Sunday for 10 days. I will try and chase a few hobbits while i'm over there. Hopefully all will be well through transit with fpv gear.

Do it man, the first disco phantom, wonder if you can strobe the led.

Actually, if you were to use a remote controlled relay, you could switch an RGB led, or sequencer. I suppose whatever
you could think up, would be possible with enough relays. Flood lights, Police lights, siren, bubble machine, music.

Maybe even tiny little nets, to catch tiny little Hobbits. ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl