Which Phantom to go with...

Reaction score
I've had my eye on a Phantom for over a year now, but somehow it fell into that luxury category that I could never quite spend the money on. I've flown a friend's Phantom before (and loved it), but never owned my own drone as of yet. I'd use it for non-commercial purposes.

For Christmas I was gifted a Hero 5 (for multiple uses within our family) and this has me thinking about this Phantom idea of mine again.

This leaves me with a couple of options/ideas:
1. Use my Hero 5 on a Phantom with a lesser camera (Phantom 2? 3?) which could make things more affordable
2. If the Hero 5 doesn't fit my Phantom idea, go with a Phantom 3 Adavanced for $899 CDN (Best Price I know of)
3. Use my Hero 5 on another Drone...(though I've always felt these Phantoms were the best to go with)

Any thoughts from any of you Phantom veterans? I'd appreciate any insight, thanks.

If you really want to use your go pro with its limited battery power and the 2s 30 cycle battery life and limited Bluetooth range then go with the 2 if you want a all included drone with a minimum 200 cycle battery life and the 1-2 mile range go with the three

The phantom camera gimpble is integrated into the electronics to compensate for drone movements. While you could remove it and hang the hero, you wouldn't get as good a picture as the camera would be fixed and subject to drone movements. maybe a microphone shock mount would lesson some of it. But they designed the phantom to reject camera mods. maybe those dji stabilizer camera sticks stripped down to just the parts needed would make a camera platform, then you just loose the ability to take photos, and start stop video.

DJI Refurbish | DJI Store

I bought refurbished from DJI and it comes with the same warranty as new. If I hadn't known it was refurbished, I never would have guessed. Everything looked brand new. I bought the P3P for $750 and it came with 2 batteries.

You can also sell your Hero 5 and use that money to fund a good drone.

Reactions: konidair
Ok, some great points and info, thanks.

The lesser range of the GoPro hadn't crossed my mind, but makes complete sense. That's a factor for me for sure.
And the potential inability to connect the GoPro probably seals it...I'm a details person, not a duct tape guy so these two points most likely make up my mind...GoPro will be for other activities instead.

Will also look at the refurbished options too, though our CDN dollar is getting it's butt kicked right now, so a local retailer might be a better choice than paying USD through the DJI store.

I'm thinking the Phantom 3 Advanced (as I mentioned in the first post) is the way I'll go...it's on special until Thursday at a local BestBuy.
One thing I'm curious about...I read about two different remotes for the Phantoms and can't really find a great comparison video..anything I should know? Any must-have features?

*** And maybe I will end up filming myself flying the Phantom! :) ***

Reactions: Reed L
Lots of good deals p3's on eBay.. Used, new, and referbs, check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like anything in this world you get what you pay for, I currently fly a phantom 4 but if I had the money boy would I like to have the inspire 2. Sadly way out of my price range.

Thanks for the direction guys...it is appreciated. Going to give this a bit more thought and then will be back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72