Which is better DJI Phantom 4 standard or DJI Phantom 3 Professional

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to buy Dji phantom 3 pro or the 4 standard I have read the specs, but I want some expert opinions. They are both around the same price so im just trying to get a general idea. PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!! Thanks!!!

I have the opportunity to buy Dji phantom 3 pro or the 4 standard I have read the specs, but I want some expert opinions. They are both around the same price so im just trying to get a general idea. PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!! Thanks!!!
They are pretty similar with not much to choose between them.
The important features are the same - camera, Lightbridge, performance.
The P4, being a later model has some extra frills with obstacle avoidance and larger batteries.

They are pretty similar with not much to choose between them.
The important features are the same - camera, Lightbridge, performance.
The P4, being a later model has some extra frills with obstacle avoidance and larger batteries.
In your personal opinion, which one would you choose? both used in EXCELLENT condition and hardly flown.

Do you have either one of these?
I owned several P3 Advanced (near enough to the same as the Pro) and did not buy the original P4 since it offered nothing that would have been an improvement on the P3.
I replaced my P3s with the P4 pro as soon as it came out because it was a significant improvement for me.
It's camera is 10 x better than what was on the earlier Phantoms.

Reactions: beakeru2 and JVise
I have and fly both. They are both a lot of fun but the P4 is definitely the better machine. And parts will be available for quite a while. As stated, longer flight time with a bigger battery, forward obstacle avoidance, and a stronger shell. If the P3P was $100 cheaper then the P4, then I might recommend that instead. Good luck.

I own both a P3Pro and a Phantom 4 Standard. I've had the P4S for 4 months now. I always wanted a P3Pro, and I got one last Saturday in PERFECT condition, with a DJI Hard case and two batteries for $420.

I know the differences on paper (the spec sheet). However, I was shocked how close the two are. The design of the P4S is more sleek, aerodynamic, etc. P4S *definitely* gets longer battery life. And it's faster (10 mph faster) in Sport Mode. Other than that, not much at all. I think the camera are almost 100% the same. I don't care for Obstacle Avoidance, which the P4 has. I never have needed it.

Here's the thing that shocked me the most: the P3Pro has a LOT better range. It's not even close. I looked around and saw many people have said the same thing in the recent past. The P4S has terrible range for having Lightbridge. I even (on purpose) got a P4 with the controller upgraded with the Itelite DBS02 (from Maxxuav.com). Despite that...I flew both from the same rural spot, one right after the other. Same height, same course. P3Pro got 11,890 feet away, the P4S (with ranged extended controller) got 8,150 feet out before total loss of signal.

I do think the sleeker, more aerodynamic body on the P4S is better. It seems upgraded to last a long time. The P3Pro and P3A have known issues where the body holds each of the 4 motors, will split apart from stress after a time. I'll know soon enough, as I fly all the time.

I've pondered this last week on what reason would ANYONE have to upgrade from P3Pro to P4S. I can say, not worth the price difference, new or used. No way.

If you save $$$, no way I'd pass up on the P3Pro. Even if they are the same price, the P3Pro would be my choice. The batteries can easily be found and are 70% cheaper than the OEM P4 batteries.

I also own both, one thing is to consider is the P4 can have issues with the batteries been disloged if not inserted correctly and the plastic around the battery lights can develop cracks...(design flaw).

Thank y’all so much!!! There is a p3p on eBay right now barley used by a photographer for $600 plus $60 for shipping came with case and 2 extra batteries; however, I found a p4 (standard) on a bid BRAND new (never opened) and contacted the person and made an offer for $575 plus $25 for shipping and it was accepted tonight. As a beginner pilot, I was attracted to the obstacle avoidance and (hopefully) more durable shell. As I said thank y’all you guys have been very helpful.

Slightly OT but I had a P3A for years, great machine and still flying (a friend owns it). I now fly P4P and I would suggest stretching your budget to a P4P if at all possible - the camera is very impressive and the P4P is amazing stable (it's always windy in the UK!)

All my P4 batteries have the clip cracks (thanks DJI!) but that's what you get for recycling yoghurt pots.....

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whichever one you get. I have owned multiple P3P and P4S drones. In my personal opinion if I could only purchase 1 and they are the same exact price, I would go with the P4S. The longer flight time is nice to have. Range is a tricky thing and differs from one drone to another (of even the same model) and the conditions. Either way, both will easily fly well beyond VLOS, so there's really no issue.

True that the P4S has forward obstacle avoidance and that may be important for you as a beginner, but I certainly wouldn't depend on that to avoid crashing. Learn how to fly safely instead.

My only other advice pertains to your method of purchase. Again this is personal preference but I never buy or sell a drone sight unseen. It's not like buying a lamp or a basketball. I prefer to do the transaction in person, with a very thorough flight test. With PayPal, you are better protected as a buyer so you do have that level of protection.

Reactions: JVise
Alan! Yes! All four of my P4 batteries have the cracks you describe. They still perform just fine though.

JVise- congrats. You will love the p4.

If your new drone is truly unopened be especially careful with the battery. Do not try to put it in the drone without fully charging. I recently purchased two P4P’s open box. The first one I charged the battery fully before inserting it, And all went well. The second one, I stupidly inserted the battery before charging. Instant DOA and it will not revive resulting in $100+ loss on that machine. Don’t make the same mistake. Have fun, fly safe.
KO

Luckily I recently purchased a battery on this site with two charges. That’s the closest I have to new to add to the P4P with the dead bat.

I own both a P3Pro and a Phantom 4 Standard. I've had the P4S for 4 months now. I always wanted a P3Pro, and I got one last Saturday in PERFECT condition, with a DJI Hard case and two batteries for $420.

I know the differences on paper (the spec sheet). However, I was shocked how close the two are. The design of the P4S is more sleek, aerodynamic, etc. P4S *definitely* gets longer battery life. And it's faster (10 mph faster) in Sport Mode. Other than that, not much at all. I think the camera are almost 100% the same. I don't care for Obstacle Avoidance, which the P4 has. I never have needed it.

Here's the thing that shocked me the most: the P3Pro has a LOT better range. It's not even close. I looked around and saw many people have said the same thing in the recent past. The P4S has terrible range for having Lightbridge. I even (on purpose) got a P4 with the controller upgraded with the Itelite DBS02 (from Maxxuav.com). Despite that...I flew both from the same rural spot, one right after the other. Same height, same course. P3Pro got 11,890 feet away, the P4S (with ranged extended controller) got 8,150 feet out before total loss of signal.

I do think the sleeker, more aerodynamic body on the P4S is better. It seems upgraded to last a long time. The P3Pro and P3A have known issues where the body holds each of the 4 motors, will split apart from stress after a time. I'll know soon enough, as I fly all the time.

I've pondered this last week on what reason would ANYONE have to upgrade from P3Pro to P4S. I can say, not worth the price difference, new or used. No way.

If you save $$$, no way I'd pass up on the P3Pro. Even if they are the same price, the P3Pro would be my choice. The batteries can easily be found and are 70% cheaper than the OEM P4 batteries.
I would recommend putting motor supports on your P3pro ASAP. It will prevent any chance of motor cracks in the future. I use the metal ones by Owoda (Amazon $19.99) on all P3’s before resale. Good luck, fly safe.

I would recommend putting motor supports on your P3pro ASAP. It will prevent any chance of motor cracks in the future. I use the metal ones by Owoda (Amazon $19.99) on all P3’s before resale. Good luck, fly safe.

Ahhh, very good to know. I will definitely check them out. Thanks.

I've has both. The 4 is significantly better!!

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whichever one you get. I have owned multiple P3P and P4S drones. In my personal opinion if I could only purchase 1 and they are the same exact price, I would go with the P4S. The longer flight time is nice to have. Range is a tricky thing and differs from one drone to another (of even the same model) and the conditions. Either way, both will easily fly well beyond VLOS, so there's really no issue.

True that the P4S has forward obstacle avoidance and that may be important for you as a beginner, but I certainly wouldn't depend on that to avoid crashing. Learn how to fly safely instead.

My only other advice pertains to your method of purchase. Again this is personal preference but I never buy or sell a drone sight unseen. It's not like buying a lamp or a basketball. I prefer to do the transaction in person, with a very thorough flight test. With PayPal, you are better protected as a buyer so you do have that level of protection.
Very good advice, wellsaid

My only other advice pertains to your method of purchase. Again this is personal preference but I never buy or sell a drone sight unseen. It's not like buying a lamp or a basketba

Thank you for the advice!!! I’ll take all that I can get. Normally, I ALWAYS go look at stuff before I buy it. The only problem with this is where I live (Mississippi) there isn’t anyone selling the p3’s or p4’s (not really even on Facebook or anything like that). I’ve looked in quite a few different places just for this reason and would have been willing to drive a few hours away if I would have needed to. I agree with the fact that I should learn how to fly without depending on the sensors. I just meant, as a beginner, it would be there as a “just in case” as another layer of security for me.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31