Which Flight app do you use? Why?

Reaction score
reading all the forum posts one begins to think that the GO app has many difficulties. Nobody seems to sing its praises. That said, what do you use for just general flight. I'm no pro, havent the nerve to try a waypoint flight yet but do want a more stable flight app than GO. I've had the app crash on me while the craft was in flight. Are there better 3rd party apps for general flight whether free or for purchase. I want a pleasant, stress free experience that I know comes from my own experience. That I can control but the stabilty of the app is out of my hands.

I prefer DJI GO since it meets all of my needs. You can find a list of other commonly used 3rd part apps here.

For settings, calibrations and updates, DJI Go app is the one that I use. I use Litchi for flying missions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

crash on what device? haven't had it crash on me. unless you count it not cancelling the rth suicide run crashing.
go 3.1 on iphone 5s, no service.

Litchi most of the time, and always for waypoints. DJI for setting up and calibrating etc.
I also have Autopilot, which is extremely customisable, but I can get almost as good video from Litchi. Autopilot takes a long time to learn and become adept at using all its functions,Litchi is quick and easy to set up missions using the hub.

crash on what device? haven't had it crash on me. unless you count it not cancelling the rth suicide run crashing.
go 3.1 on iphone 5s, no service.
Yep - (selective summary) - "Please can you give more information about the crashes and which app/firmware/device you were using?

Many people have problems due to setting their RTH height too low".

....Then maybe people here can then help you... :)

Like alokbhargava, I use DJI for the basics, but mainly fly with Litchi.

Reactions: Scoddy71
Yep - (selective summary) - "Please can you give more information about the crashes and which app/firmware/device you were using?

Many people have problems due to setting their RTH height too low".

....Then maybe people here can then help you... :)

Like alokbhargava, I use DJI for the basics, but mainly fly with Litchi.

mine was to high. I took off under a tree, just hovering along the driveway out to the mail box, and back along the other driveway. power lines ran beside tree. Then just flyng around the yard, showing off for the chickens, when UP it goes, hey, my first battery rth, wait I took off under the tree, cancel,**** power line dodge, where is that **** cancel, why isn't it cancelling....... What is strange is 52.5 feet up tree should have been my highest takeoff point, but phone data says 604 feet was.
Yesterday in wide open field, that is all I did was rth cancel practice. both RC and goapp. I got lucky, props probably work but not worth it.

I use DJI Go but have purchased the others. The Go app does everything I need but my focus is on getting good video and photos. I'm not really interested in seeing how far it will fly. I also got the auto-pilot app so I could do some harder camera movements but so far the stuff I have done would not have worked without manually flying it. I guess it really depends on what you are wanting to do with your drone. As far as stability I have not had a problem with the IOS or Android.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

You should not read too much into forum comments, as it's not a good representation of a sample. It is one representation, but not the whole story. I think the DJI go app is fine, I have used it since the start and the only downside of it is it has a clumsy waypoint program so you can't fly missions EASILY. The Litchi app solves that problem, however is missing a few non essential features.

When I want to fly with the sticks manually, I use DJI GO 4. When I want to fly a mission, so I can concentrate on using the Camera, I use Litchi.

I've had more problems using DJI Go than Autopilot, so my vote goes to Autopilot. It's worth spending the time to learn how to use it. There is a very steep learning curve and the YouTube videos can be overwhelming. I've spent a lot of time watching them over and over and I learn something new each time. have never used Litchi, but have heard many good things about it, however, the custom flight controller in Autopilot allows for many more options than the DJI flight controller used by DJI Go and Litchi. As a side note if no-one has already mentioned it, Hanger (Autoflight Logic) is also working on a new app that will automatically fly the drone straight up to 300 ft, capture images, upload the images to Hanger, then Hanger will return the stitched images. I'm impressed with a company that works on cool stuff like this. I tried to beta test it today, but Dallas weather has been crazy the past few weeks. If it's not windy, it's snowing, raining, or hailing durning our 5 minute biblical downpour yesterday afternoon. Good luck on whichever you choose!

DJI GO for normal flight and setup. Litchi for waypoint flights.
Ditto for me.

I mostly use the Go App with my P3P, but I did purchase FPV Camera and have used it a handful of times, and it worked well. FPV Camera rolled out some new updates recently which I haven't had a chance to test yet, but looks promising. From what I can tell using the FPV Camera works well with the Go App. Definitely worth a look if you're going to purchase a third-party app..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I use Litchi most of the time for actual flying because it still uses Google maps vs the here maps that the go app uses. Calibration still through go. If you're going to use Litchi take the phantom film school series. It has some good advise on flying and filming.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Jayfdee
From a newb perspective i use both litchi and dji go. If i am just General flying i prefer dji go, there is something comforting about knowing how many sats in am linked to, then if i fancy something a little more immersive i use litchi and my vr goggles.

I also had to use rth today, it was perfect, I thought the app map was wrong mis reading the location of the bird, in fact it was me that was wrong. The bird came back from somewhere totally different to where i thought it was. I believe it when i read that most crashes are due to user error. It proved me wrong.

Sent from my P01Z using PhantomPilots mobile app

DJI GO, Autopilot and litchi in that order based on frequency of use. I spend a lot of time flying over water with a catastrophic failure meaning I won't have the AC to present to DJI. At least I know they might be prepared to look at the log from the GO app, the locally recorded video may be of some use also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus