Where to fly in Orlando ?

Reaction score
hy guys,

I bought a P4Pro and I need test for fly before I return to Brasil .. so, where is able to fly drone in Orlando ?

Have a nice day

William

Hello William,
And Congrats, on the p4! AWESOME!:)

Try to find a park, Orlando Is HEAVILY populated,
And not much rural land left!

WARNING: stay far from any THEME PARK, Disney , ect. ( reason I say ) they have wifi jamming networks in place ( as their AIRSPACE, is restricted ) by all air traffic! ( drones included )

But I'm sure if you pull up your local map ( or phone app maps ) look for a spot there, all parks are marked,just stay away from people, if there are people around! And watch for power lines above! Downtown Orlando is probably out, but if you go to the outskirts, there should be places for you to give her a go!

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: wsca
I didn't think Orlando was drone friendly? There is plenty of areas outside the city limits you could fly. On the south side you have the main airport. Please check and make sure it is safe to fly where you are. There are a lot of heliports. If you have a car, maybe west on 192 there is a lot of open land.

Reactions: pvitale and wsca
Lots of open land just outside of the city itself , just check google maps...

hy guys,

I bought a P4Pro and I need test for fly before I return to Brasil .. so, where is able to fly drone in Orlando ?

Have a nice day

William
Airspace, airspace, airspace. Unfortunately you live under a major International Airports airspace. Get an aviation sectional for your area and understand that Class B airspac3 is an upside down wedding cake in shape. If you are out side the innermost wedding cake ring ( which starts at the earths surface) You actually have two airports in Orlando, one in which the center surface cake only goes to 1600’ MSL , then at Orlando International the centercake goes to 10000’ MSLthen the next outerring starts at various altitudes depending on orientation to airport of 900 to 2000’ MSL so there is some airspace to fly in there but you must understand the airspace to safety fly...and here is the big but ...Helicopter traffic is often allowed to fly under the stated levels because of their flight characteristics, ability to hover, etc... This may sound confusing to you, because on aviation sectionals you only see three concentric circles over the airport, and in your case they aren’t even circles...but understand the sectional is only two dimensional, airspace is 3 Dimensional...those three circles or geographic shapes in 3D look sort of like an upside down wedding cake starting at THE SURFACE, GETTING LARGER AS IT GOES UP.In Altitude...If however you live under that innermost section of the upside down wedding cake...you sir best get licensed FAA Part 107. Also if you live in Florida, it is home to almost ALL the entire FAA Training facilities and schools...so that means traveling clear of that Orlando airspace and adjacent restricted airspace to fly in peace from constant DJI Warning messages will be a pretty far drive!

Update1 : I looked at the FAA Aviation Sectional Chart for you SE of Orlando, toward Melbourne specifically at Deer Park and Kenanville are out from under major controlled airspace. I’m a bit familiar with that area as I used to fly for Military into both Orlando and Melbourne ( and a hell of a lot into Tampa ). Now I would stress that because of where you live, you are the poster child advocate for a FAA part 107 license. But be advised there are military Restricted Areas and Military Operational Areas (MOAs) adjacent to the west of this location for Tampa...they are huge areas so don’t be fooled...absolutely NO fly zones.... I sincerely recommend you make life easier for yourself and go through the course...you will learn to read and understand airspace (which In writing I did a poor job of conveying)...it’s a very visual thing. And understand FAA limits and thinking on drone activity..believe me they have lightened up way more than I ever thought they would from 15 years ago. I think it’s reasonable to pursue the FAA Part 107 rating (I know some will be unhappy to hear this),but as a pilot, having experienced birds forming up on you very close to your engine (s) knowing that at any time one can get sucked in over millions of living souls..it’s very reasonable to train folks to understand airspace and limitations.

Last edited:
Airspace, airspace, airspace. Unfortunately you live under a major International Airports airspace. Get an aviation sectional for your area and understand that Class B airspac3 is an upside down wedding cake in shape if you are out side the innermost wedding cake ring ( which goes to the surface) then the next level can range from 2500’ AGL to 4000’ AGL but and here is the big but ...it’s class E which has restrictions but in GA (General Aviation) rarely enforced...and I mean rarely. This may sound confusing to you, because on aviation sectionals you only see three concentric circles over the airport...but the sectional is only two dimensional, airspace is 3 Dimensional...those three circles in 3D look like an upside down wedding cake starting at THE SURFACE, GETTINGL LARGER AS IT GOES UP....If however you live under that innermost section of the upside down wedding cake...you sir best get licensed FAA Part 107. Also if you live in Florida, it is home to almost ALL the entire FAA Training facilities and schools...so that means traveling clear of that Orlando airspace and adjacent restricted airspace to fly in peace from constant DJI Warning messages will be a pretty far drive!

Update1 : I looked at the FAA Aviation Sectional Chart for you SE of Orlando, toward Melbourne specifically at Deer Park and Kenanville are out from under major controlled airspace. I’m a bit familiar with that area as I used to fly for Military into both Orlando and Melbourne ( and a hell of a lot into Tampa ). Now I would stress that because of where you live, you are the poster child advocate for a FAA part 107 license. But be advised there are military Restricted Areas and Military Operational Areas (MOAs) adjacent to the west of this location for Tampa...they are huge areas so don’t be fooled...absolutely NO fly zones.... I sincerely recommend you make life easier for yourself and go through the course...you will learn to read and understand airspace (which In writing I did a poor job of conveying)...it’s a very visual thing. And understand FAA limits and thinking on drone activity..believe me they have lightened up way more than I ever thought they would from 15 years ago. I think it’s reasonable to pursue the FAA Part 107 rating (I know some will be unhappy to hear this),but as a pilot, having experienced birds forming up on you very close to your engine (s) knowing that at any time one can get sucked in over millions of living souls..it’s very reasonable to train folks to understand airspace and limitations.
He's a tourist just wanting to check out his purchase before he goes back to Brazil.

Reactions: pvitale and wsca
He's a tourist just wanting to check out his purchase before he goes back to Brazil.
Understood, but he is in a very dangerous area for drone flight due to high volume traffic, and nonstandard flight characteristics of aviation in that particular area, both military and civilian. So Part 107 is probably not goingg to ever happen for him, but Inust want to impress on him, he REALLY is in a bad area for a newb to fly a drone, maybe the worst. I’m a newb drone operator but ~40 yrs of pilot experience, I would definately have pucker factor in that area. Aerial helicopter tours, GA training schools with rookie student pilots, active, very activemilitary operational areas, ilitary restricted areas, commercial class B , Class Cand and Class D overlapping...doesn’t get much more complex and dangerous for a newb drone operator than that.

Hello.

I am a power pilot, glider pilot, certified flight instructor and relatively new Drone pilot. I live in the Orlando area and am completely disgusted at the decision by the Orlando City govt for passing the restrictions on drone flights in city parks. However, there is an old saying, "For every rule there was a fool". Laws such as this affect not only the drone community, they make their way into general aviation as well. Airports and gliderports all over the country have faced local legislation that have put some of them out of business completely. Organizations like the EAA and AOPA fight for the rights of GA pilots and have stopped and even reversed many laws and proposed regulations. I am not aware of any such regulations for drones, but would certainly volunteer to participate in a group establishing a city, state or national one.

Considering the "Every fool rule" mentioned above, it is easy to understand why the city might impose such a rule. There are a lot of fools who do really stupid things with their drones. Many even post themselves doing stupid things on Youtube. Some will fly immediately above people which, although as unlikely as it may seem, is really dangerous. I once had a remote control helicopter fly into my leg and the rotor sliced thought the skin like a hot knife through butter. And I was being careful. An out of control drone could maim or kill a person.

All that notwithstanding, local Orlando drone pilots should form a group, prepare a petition and get thousands of signatures to present to the city council with a recommended regulation that makes more sense. For example, the immediate downtown area could be off limits or "restricted", flights in city parks may be permissible on a more limited basis and only for people who present a part 107 or 336 license/membership. Fees should be abolished. If the city insists on fees, the group should be prepared to say, OK, only those parks within X miles of the downtown should require fees. Since most of the area in Orlando is currently under Class B airspace and the FAA has not yet approved the flight ceilings of 200 and 400 feet zones yet, it is difficult for us to find safe or interesting places to fly.

Remember, each and every city official is concerned about his/her reelection viability. 50 or a hundred people cannot make much pf a difference. But if 50 or 100 people ask 10 others to join the group and write letters and each one of them asks 10 more people to join in short time you could have a number that will make the mayor and others rethink capricious rules. Many small groups use this technique to move legislation, even at the national level.

Anyhow, I am thoroughly disappointed and pissed off. If anyone is interested in forming a group, reply here and if there is enough interest I will set up a location to meet or a web conference to share ideas.

Regards,
Tim
Safety First

Hello.

I am a power pilot, glider pilot, certified flight instructor and relatively new Drone pilot. I live in the Orlando area and am completely disgusted at the decision by the Orlando City govt for passing the restrictions on drone flights in city parks. However, there is an old saying, "For every rule there was a fool". Laws such as this affect not only the drone community, they make their way into general aviation as well. Airports and gliderports all over the country have faced local legislation that have put some of them out of business completely. Organizations like the EAA and AOPA fight for the rights of GA pilots and have stopped and even reversed many laws and proposed regulations. I am not aware of any such regulations for drones, but would certainly volunteer to participate in a group establishing a city, state or national one.

Considering the "Every fool rule" mentioned above, it is easy to understand why the city might impose such a rule. There are a lot of fools who do really stupid things with their drones. Many even post themselves doing stupid things on Youtube. Some will fly immediately above people which, although as unlikely as it may seem, is really dangerous. I once had a remote control helicopter fly into my leg and the rotor sliced thought the skin like a hot knife through butter. And I was being careful. An out of control drone could maim or kill a person.

All that notwithstanding, local Orlando drone pilots should form a group, prepare a petition and get thousands of signatures to present to the city council with a recommended regulation that makes more sense. For example, the immediate downtown area could be off limits or "restricted", flights in city parks may be permissible on a more limited basis and only for people who present a part 107 or 336 license/membership. Fees should be abolished. If the city insists on fees, the group should be prepared to say, OK, only those parks within X miles of the downtown should require fees. Since most of the area in Orlando is currently under Class B airspace and the FAA has not yet approved the flight ceilings of 200 and 400 feet zones yet, it is difficult for us to find safe or interesting places to fly.

Remember, each and every city official is concerned about his/her reelection viability. 50 or a hundred people cannot make much pf a difference. But if 50 or 100 people ask 10 others to join the group and write letters and each one of them asks 10 more people to join in short time you could have a number that will make the mayor and others rethink capricious rules. Many small groups use this technique to move legislation, even at the national level.

Anyhow, I am thoroughly disappointed and pissed off. If anyone is interested in forming a group, reply here and if there is enough interest I will set up a location to meet or a web conference to share ideas.

Regards,
Tim
Safety First
The city did away with the fees. New flyer here from Orlando where do you fly?

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I’m traveling internationally and quite busy.
I fly in the Lake Nona area off Narcoossee just out or the Class B airspace. I’ve flown further south between the lakes and have a waiver request in with the FAA for some work in the Lake Nona area.
I return next week and would be pleased to get together.

Hi. Sorry for the delay. I’m traveling internationally and quite busy.
I fly in the Lake Nona area off Narcoossee just out or the Class B airspace. I’ve flown further south between the lakes and have a waiver request in with the FAA for some work in the Lake Nona area.
I return next week and would be pleased to get together.
Thanks for getting back to me. I am on the west side of Orlando

The city did away with the fees. New flyer here from Orlando where do you fly?
Hi Robert,

I live in Orlando. Yeah It’s tough to find good spots in Orlando. I have a few great places that are around lake ToHo. Check out the Cherokee Point conservation area.

Here’s a video I did from there. Let’s team up some time.

Hi Robert,

I live in Orlando. Yeah It’s tough to find good spots in Orlando. I have a few great places that are around lake ToHo. Check out the Cherokee Point conservation area.

The only place i have flown is up and around my house so far. New here and dont know anyone that has a drone.

The only place i have flown is up and around my house so far. New here and dont know anyone that has a drone.
I started the same way. That’s the best thing to do. As you gain trust in the controls you will want to explore new areas. I like flying in big open spaces along the lake shores. I have chased some airboats on lake ToHo however. Lol
What part of Orlando are you at? I’m out in Hunter’s Creek area.

If you get time look up that Cherokee Point location. It’s always empty. Let me know if you find any new spots.

I started the same way. That’s the best thing to do. As you gain trust in the controls you will want to explore new areas. I like flying in big open spaces along the lake shores. I have chased some airboats on lake ToHo however. Lol

If you get time look up that Cherokee Point location. It’s always empty. Let me know if you find any new spots.
Im in west orlando 441 Clarcona Ocoee area

are you a hobbyist or 107

Hi Robert,

Hey Parkview, I’m from Oviedo would like to know if you have a address for where you shot that video. Would like to make trip out there.

Hi Robert,

Looks awesome. Bookmarked for future flight.

Hi Robert,

So is this a good place to fly ?

Where is it best to setup and take off from ?

Thank you very much !

Bill

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl