Where do you charge your battery

Reaction score
The instructions on the battery say 'ALWAYS charge in a fireproof location'. The manual says 'Do NOT charge the battery near flammable materials or on flammable surfaces such as carpet or wood'.

When I first got my P2V, I charged it in the fireplace (obviously not when there was a fire in it). I suppose in an oven would work too. Now I just leave it on the floor and keep an eye on it.

I have tile on my whole first floor of my house - so I charge on that away from walls etc. The most important part is - keep an eye on them... don't set them to charge and go for a drive :)

R u guys serious? Are you that careful? I do leave them charging and go for a drive lol

I really doubt that anything would be an issue... however... Lipo's have been known to ignite during charging particularly if they are damaged or a cell has gone bad. I'd say 99.9% of the time it's safe... I just don't leave the house with lipo's plugged in (a habit I formed in the earlier days with CP heli's)

In a (7.62) ammo box.

Safety should always be a concern.

However (using P2 as an example)...
How many P2 batts do you think have been produced?, 500K, 750K, 1M?

0.1% = 500, 750, 1000 batts. respectively.
0.01% = 50, 75, 100 batts respectively.

How any stories of P2 batts with any type of dangerous 'accidents' occurring during charge (or any time) have you heard of???

They would run the forums like 'wildfire' don't ya think?

Reactions: rrmccabe
Safety should always be a concern.

However (using P2 as an example)...
How many P2 batts do you think have been produced?, 500K, 750K, 1M?

0.1% = 500, 750, 1000 batts. respectively.
0.01% = 50, 75, 100 batts respectively.

How any stories of P2 batts with any type of dangerous 'accidents' occurring during charge (or any time) have you heard of???

They would run the forums like 'wildfire' don't ya think?

Saying "I haven't heard of it happening, therefore it wont happen" Is a total logical fallacy.

LiPo batteries do fail and have burned peoples houses down. That's a fact.

A lipo charging bag costs 10 bucks.

What is peace of mind worth to you?

I don't recall that quote in my post.

I made no logical statement(s).

Please don't jump to a conclusion and then embellish my posts with your paraphrasing.

I have used [and respected] LiPos for nearly a decade and am well aware of the reported failures as well as the causes via the resultant investigations.

Don't get all defensive. That is exactly what you inferred.

not for nothing he implied it... you inferred :)

There's also the statistic that if 100 batteries have had an incident at .01 - how many of those pilots are members of this particular forum? It's quite possible that somebody has had a problem and just hasn't reported it here.

Reactions: jlo
scx53n.JPG

There's also the statistic that if 100 batteries have had an incident at .01 - how many of those pilots are members of this particular forum? It's quite possible that somebody has had a problem and just hasn't reported it here.

Agreed but there is soooo much cross posting and there are many members here who visit other sites.

My point is to respect not fear the LiPo.

lol, thank you grammar nazi. :D

I bought some Lipo fireproof bags to store them in, and used to charge them in.

but nowadays I just charge them right next to my computer, on the floor, while I browse the forums or take care of business related stuff.

Agreed but there is soooo much cross posting and there are many members here who visit other sites.

My point is to respect not fear the LiPo.

yeah I agree... but just doing a quick google search I found two incidents at least that involved P2 batteries (and one instance where a guy deliberately started a fire by hammering a nail through a bad P2 battery.... so I am still thinking 1% might be pretty likely....

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic