When to switch from Phantom to Naza?

You might confirm that: (in the "Advanced" tab of the Phantom Assistant), "IOC" button is checked.

Possibly why a new home position doesn't get set.
I think it is unchecked (default), when first changed from Phantom to Naza.

Try this: to reset home position flip S2 from CL to HL position rapidly 5 times and watch for rapid greens. To reset course direction flip S2 from OFF to CL position rapidly 5 times and watch for rapid greens. That's the ticket.

ill try those out today if i get to fly... its new iphone friday and its a bit breezy, so we will see.
i enjoyed some amazing views last night around the house... i want to do it again.

IMHO... As soon as you understand how course lock, home lock, ATTI and return to home work, I'd switch it over to NAZA mode. I think it's a much safer mode to fly in. If there's a GPS problem, it's very easy to switch over to ATTI and take control back. the RTH switch can also come in very handy if you've lost orientation. :shock:

One of the most useful features of NAZA mode for me has been home lock. If I'm out there quite a ways and have temporarily lost orientation I just put it in home lock and pull back on the right stick. NICE... :D

-slinger

ProfessorStein said:
dunginhawk said:
how often do you guys get out of sight, or out of range of the TX where it comes home on its own? that seems like it would be a VERY scary proposition

Actually, it was one of the most comforting features of the entire product when I was first starting out. And one of the reasons I bought the Phantom rather than a lower-priced quad that didn't have RTH. I tested it twice during my first two flights, and a few times since. It's not really scary at all. And you can always recover control if you need to.

I do tend to always keep LOS of my bird, though. I suppose if you've completely lost sight of it, and you're simply trusting that RTH will work as it should, it can be a very stressful couple of minutes as it flys home.

The only time I've ever lost LOS with my bird was the second time I flew it. I had no idea what I was doing and home location had never locked in. I apparently didn't have 6 sats before launching and it was acting erratically. I let it get away from me and was suddenly dodging trees. Then I lost orientation and it went behind a small, tall, wooded area. I was so lucky I was able to pick out the right dot in the sky and figure out how to bring it home. I still shudder when I think of that. I've never lost sight of it since, and may never... I was a major Noob and just plain didn't do my homework... :roll:

i did switch to naza last night and wont ever go back... thanks for all the help gents.
now if i could just figure out this satellite issue

i had to foil the inside of the housing, as everyone seems to have been doing. but my issue wasnt resolved until i put a strip of aluminum tape between the gimbal and the body housing.
now instead of 5-6 satellites on the ground, i get 8-9. HUGE improvement

If possible, could you send a picture of your aluminum tape installation on the gimbal/body housing?

Thanks (I'll try that too!)

dunginhawk said:
I put foil tape in my shell to help with satellites, and now routinely have 9 while in the air, and recording, which gives me enough confidence to fly it a few hundred feet away.

The "foil tape in my shell" doesn't sound like a good idea. It's likely hurting rather than helping. It's not unusual to see 11 satellites if you wait for them to show up. If you don't understand wavelengths, shielding, RF propagation, or even know the GPS frequencies, don't try to out-think the design engineers.

I don't see the logic behind the foil on the bottom side either.

I dont understand it either, but there are HUNDREDS of people on the original thread saying they got similar results. now for me, i thought i had some things figured out, but i dont see the bump in satellites now. It takes 2 minutes to get 6 sats and i rarely get more... so i cant even fly past a few hundred feet because if i lose a sat, im toast. IM PISSED that DJI hasnt resolved this issue... multiple phone calls from multiple people confirmed that DJI knew it was a problem

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl