First flights after switch to NAZA

Reaction score
I have had a few dozen event-free flights with GPS lock, and have gradually increased distance, height, difficulty, and all with the intent to get betters stills and video. I decided it was time to kick off the training wheels and used the software to turn on NAZA and use S1 to switch GPS-ATTI-ATTI. Yesterday early evening it was nearly windless so I took it to a large field. I took off with GPS, let it hover while I checked satellites etc., and then switched to ATTI. It was just what I expected, but MORE FUN. And anytime I wanted I could switch back to GPS. Easy!

I used up all four of my batteries messing with it. By the last one I was getting more comfortable with intentionally letting it go a few miles per hour with the wind (gradually increased as time went on), and I was quickly enamored of the smooth video I could get by doing long sweeps using inertia or wind. I guess that went just about as I expected.

But it was a lot more fun than I expected! I can see how it will lead to setting up video sequences differently. There's something especially hypnotic about watching smooth movement in the video feed without pushing a stick, and you're freed to think about rotation or height changes during a smooth pan.

No going back for me! Next I'll try IOC. Here's a question for anyone who has read this far. Does the DiSTANCE number always read the distance from the spot marked as HOME? I found myself walking across a field after takeoff, and realized that it was reading ~400 feet distance when I was right under it. Of course it went to zero as I flew it back to takeoff. Is that how it works in EVERY mode, or is there a way to use the phone's GPS or something to have it know the distance relative to IT instead of the home spot?

I too just enabled naza mode last night.. it is a great next step!.. I can answer the one question about distance.. it is indeed distance from the home position.. I do not know how the different modes affect this, and furthermore, what if you take off before gps lock? I haven't launched without it once yet..

Home point is where you first establish GPS lock (rapid green flashing). You can change that by toggling the S2 switch, (just make sure you do it with the aircraft in close proximity to you or where you want the new home point to be.

One thing worth taking noticed of in NAZA is that home lock on the S2 switch only works in GPS mode. If you try it while in ATTI, it will instead revert to course-lock, which depending on the way that it was facing when it took off, could create a result quite different from home lock. Also, keep in mind while in ATTI that you will not hold altitude like in GPS, especially when your zipping across the sky on a speed run. So good to keep a bit more cushion when doing this.

On Naza-You can take off without homelock and as soon as there are sattellites he will lock at that current position. If You are already flew 100 meters away - there will be You homelock position.
But S2 switch - flipping it lowest and middle postion 3 to 5 times will make new position lock at current position.

I use that, if startup is from bad location and not enough satellites are visible. Just pull into the sky, keep in place at ATTi mode and as soon as satellite markings are blue, and there ya go. Then switching to GPS mode keeps aircraft steady too.
Also if You pull up between trees, useful is markink homelock somewhere, where possible damage free landing is possible in case og "return home" happening.

Also - if I filming at sea and near coast (from boat) then I take safety precaution by flying above coast, marking home there and then start filming.
In this case an eventual control loss will end P2V fly not into the sea. Boat is too small and moving around for safe homepoint.

I think, there must be separate thread be written about starting from odd places and landing back.

Edit, same time same story has been told :)

I've been flying with the NAZA settings for about a week or so now. No problems noted. I have the right switch set for failsafe when all the way down. I've tested the failsafe and RTH, both worked just like advertised.

I also just put my first flights on with the v. 3.0 firmware. No issues noted.

Dillinger said:
Also if You pull up between trees, useful is markink homelock somewhere, where possible damage free landing is possible in case og "return home" happening.

Also - if I filming at sea and near coast (from boat) then I take safety precaution by flying above coast, marking home there and then start filming.
In this case an eventual control loss will end P2V fly not into the sea. Boat is too small and moving around for safe homepoint.
)

Great points...I'm on a lake that's been covered with ice for most of the time I've been flying. It was a great place to practice in (though **** cold), but now I just took my first couple of flights over open water and I'll be flying from the pontoon when I get it in the water. I'm gonna have to test the resetting of home lock for sure, although "flying above the coast" for me will mean flying into the trees as there isn't much open land along the shorelines. I'll still take hitting the trees over hitting the water as I know for a fact it will survive the former ;) thanks for the tip on that!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj